New pup

Coyotes don't worry me too much, I don't think I've heard of them ever hurting people but you never know. I'm lucky that I have Mylo. If coyotes attack I can just throw Mylo at them and while they're busy eating her (because they will want to) we can make our getaway.

I like to listen to coyotes kiyi...they throw their voices. And my dogs always act like they're on vacation when coyotes are around. They bark at bugs, at airplanes, at the wind, at plants, at deer, at trucks, at the kids, at food....but when coyotes are in the vicinity they're strangely quiet...usually enjoying a little nap on the porch. Snoring. I think it's an act, though. I think they know the coyotes there and they're playing dead so they don't have to deal with them.

I don't like the idea of a cat dropping on me or my kids from behind, though. That is not a pleasant thought. And we do have cats. These are narrow trails in lots of timber and deadfall, on a steep, steep hillside. I love it, it's a blast. But you have to stay awake. And dogs are helpful when it comes to noticing other animals. (Well maybe not coyotes, lol).

Puppy is getting strong. I'm thinking of getting him a harness...

NeekoMSharness.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling sort of guilty...Last night the kids were stewn around the living room; daughter was on the couch and my son was in Klaus' chair. We call it that because nobody else uses it; it's massive, and has a massive ottoman that makes it difficult to really seat oneself. It's actually too big for most humans. So usually nobody sits in it...except at night. When the kids are winding down, my son will often sit in it for a while and watch tv or play ps3 before heading to bed. Anyhoo, my son was sitting there, and Klaus was sort of at odds because it was bedtime, and he usually sleeps in the chair. I felt bad for the dog that my son was using the furniture, lol. So then I was hugging and kissing the dog..and my son is sitting there and I'm pretty much ignoring him (he was ignoring me too, watching something) while I tell the dog "Oh I love you so much you're just so smart and handsome and oh you're my sweet little boy!"

Now of course I don't want to behave that way to my son, or he'll turn out like modbert or del....but at the same time, perhaps the overt affection for the dog is best expressed at some distance from the other *boy*, lol.

Anyway, Klaus is doing great. We haven't done anything spectacular since our hike to the top of the Clarno palisades, but he's hanging in there and being a good boy. Probably won't do anything tonight with him..but this weekend we're going to my Mom's, so he'll get some fun time then..and this weekend we're hiking, too. Not sure where at yet.

My dogs will do that if I'm on their "night night's". I have a big rocker and footstool in my room, and my small twin bed. I don't have the papasan any more in here.
If I don't "make" their night night's with their own pillows fluffed for them, they sit and stare at me. LIke "um. Ma? Get the hell outta our bed. It's NIGHT NIGHT time, ya know". :lol:

Lol..that's funny. My mom's little dogs will start *ruffing* at her when they think it's past her bedtime (and they go to bed with her). The get quite adamant about it, making little barks and trying to lead her to the bedroom...

I went to see Klaus' parents today; I've had this nagging anxiety that perhaps he won't be a great big beautiful saint, and I'll be stuck with a scruffy looking mutt that I love very much and who will live forever...

Cuz I didn't see the parents or anything before I took him. I just fell in love with him on the spot.

Anyway, I went to look at his parents and they're MAGNIFICENT! Angels sang, I kid you not, when I clapped eyes upon them. Mom is 130 lbs and dad is a lot bigger; he's going to the vet for a check up in a few days and they'll weigh him. So I think it's likely that Klaus will be very large.

And because I see him every day, I can't honestly tell anymore by looking at him if he's fine, or if he has a typ-ey head, or if he's the size he should be....his face doesn't look coarse and slobbery to me; I'm constantly measuring his muzzle because it should be bigger vertically than it is horizontally (and it always is). He has beautiful markings, and so do his parents. Well his parents are big, strong dogs. Dad is quite immense but looks well proportioned and athletic. Mom seems a lot wider and maybe not quite so nimble but she has longer hair, too.

Anyway, I was glad to see them.

Time. Your pup is not line bread is he ? Dogs that are line bread will some times produce some smallish dogs, as well as dogs with health issues . Many of those dogs are "culled" or fixed and sold at a lower price or given away. My brother got a German Shepperd that was going to be "culled", but talked the guy into letting him have her. She was a runt as well, but has grown into a text book Shepperd, and great dog.

No, I don't think he was line bred. His parents were bought at two different times from two different breeders; they aren't papered and the owners aren't breeders. They just have the pair and one litter a year.

Both parents are huge. He's only around 6 months old now.

He was not the runt, he's the second smallest of the litter...so far no health issues at all.

He doesn't look big until he plows into you, lol. He's pretty large. I don't know if he's going to be IMMENSE, who knows. His mom was 130lbs and his dad is a LOT bigger.

213mr.jpg

By alliebaba at 2011-07-08

He was not the runt, he's the second smallest of the litter...so far no health issues at all.

St. Bernard s are not prone to health issues much are they ? Second smallest ? that mean his finished weight will be 135 instead 140 ! I am just now considering a dog since my neighbors killed mine. I am considering a St. Bernard as a big dog option, and a french bull dog as a small dog option. I looked at some Pit Bulls at a few rescues, and may get another. Just haven't decided yet.

Forum List

Back