More Economic Good News: Recovery Stronger than expected

Good ole Rabbi defending his "Economy will fail" team

How much of a "V" recovery did we get after the Depression? This is the biggest economic collapse since the Depression and the recovery is well ahead of the heralded Reagan recovery in the early 80s

What has happend to your gloom and doom predictions of double dip recession and rampant stagflation? Still waiting

You know I don't do an update on predictions till the month is over.....talk to you next week

Just wondering on your position after the delayed tax increases kick in. I'm sure your Government and Union workers will be covered at the expense of the rest of us, Party Member, comrade. May the sacrifices of the Proletarian benefit your portfolio. ;););)

Just wondering on your position after the delayed tax increases kick in.

Do you mean when we return to the tax rates we had before Bush? Those tax cuts didn't seem to do much to help the economy for Bush did they? Only added $2.5 trillion to the deficit and did nothing to fend off a massive recession.

Right comrade?

What I mean is that the expansion of government has a cost. The current administration is multiplying that cost on borrowed money. Just say no to government expansion, and encourage it to do what it was long ago already compensated for. You should be paying us interest. Let's start by bringing credit card interest to 2% and Savings interest to 25%. LOL

Economists say recovery looks stronger than expected - USATODAY.com

The recovery is shaping up to be stronger than expected and there is little risk the economy will slip back into a recession, according to USA TODAY's quarterly survey of 46 leading economists.
Yet most still say the rebound will fall short of the sharp, V-shaped upturns that often follow severe slumps, and the 9.7% jobless rate will fall slowly.

As the Fed meets to assess the economy this week, seven in 10 economists say they're more optimistic than they were three months ago.

"I think we've gotten to a point where it's a self-sustaining recovery," says Standard & Poor's chief economist David Wyss.

The experts predict growth of 3% this year, up from forecasts of 2.8% in January. In V-shaped upswings, growth is often 7% or more.

None see a return to recession by next year, and those who see some risk say it's lessened markedly.

"I feel more confident ... there'll be no relapse," says Stuart Hoffman, chief economist of PNC Financial Services Group.

Yet while the economists say unemployment will fall steadily this year, their median estimates are for a 9.4% jobless rate at year's end and 8.5% at the end of 2011. More than 80% say the U.S. won't regain all jobs lost in the recession until 2013 or later.

Why the brighter outlook? Consumers are opening their wallets more widely than expected. Retail sales climbed at a 10.1% annualized rate the past three months, highest in four years. Economists cite rising incomes, a stock market rally that makes shoppers feel wealthier and abating fears of layoffs.

Also, manufacturers are feverishly replenishing stocks to meet growing demand. And exports are swelling company earnings.

Wyss, though, cites "big headwinds." Consumers, he says, are too burdened by high debt to

Damn Lame Stream Media....in Obama's pocket all the time. Where's FOX News when you need something to complain about?

The economy is recovereing much to the rights dismay.

Party first all the way huh guys?

I'd love the economy to recover. I'm just not going to blindly believe a headline when indicators, fiscal policy, and monetary policy suggest otherwise.

If the expectations of these economists are so off the mark so often, what makes anyone think, other than blind luck via the law of averages, that they're right this time?

Where is the rightwing in celebrating the economic recovery of our country?

Do they hate Obama so much that they still regret that economic indicators are reversing for the good?

Id like to see an actual recovery first. When unemployment drops down to 7 or 6% Ill break out the cider. But till then, Im not going to pretend everything is great when it's not.

If the expectations of these economists are so off the mark so often, what makes anyone think, other than blind luck via the law of averages, that they're right this time?

Do they hate Obama so much that they still regret that economic indicators are reversing for the good?

Id like to see an actual recovery first. When unemployment drops down to 7 or 6% Ill break out the cider. But till then, Im not going to pretend everything is great when it's not.

I have no objection to a Non-Nationalized recovery.

They will poo poo any indicators of recovery just as tehy poo pooed all the signs of teh collapse right up until .....wel..... the collapse.

You people have failed so may times to see what was coming that your opinions mean next to nothing on the subject.

Prior to the stimulus and other Obama Big Government Takeover programs, economists were fairly optimistic that the economy would be in a real recovery in the second half of 2009. Obamanomics made things worse. The meager growth we are experiencing is the private sector struggling to succeed in spite of increased government burdens.

They will poo poo any indicators of recovery just as tehy poo pooed all the signs of teh collapse right up until .....wel..... the collapse.

You people have failed so may times to see what was coming that your opinions mean next to nothing on the subject.

15M+ Unemployed are not an indicator of either solvency or recovery.

Yet most still say the rebound will fall short of the sharp, V-shaped upturns that often follow severe slumps, and the 9.7% jobless rate will fall slowly.

A
Yet while the economists say unemployment will fall steadily this year, their median estimates are for a 9.4% jobless rate at year's end and 8.5% at the end of 2011. More than 80% say the U.S. won't regain all jobs lost in the recession until 2013 or later.

Gee, looks like the "good news" really isn't so good after all. Paint a happy face much?
Still sticking with your 7% unemployment rate by year end?

Happy face is right, the increase in productivity is the only reason for this, business is doing more with fewer employee's which does affect earnings and the bottom line. Question is - where the hell are the jobs??????????????? My guess is that business is so afraid of this RADICAL community agitator we have for President that they are frozen in place, too scared to hire anyone.

who on here claimed this news of a building recovery meant the problem was solved?

Tell us , is there signs of recovery and is that good for America?

Then why do you care about them enough to continue discussions here?

who on here claimed this news of a building recovery meant the problem was solved?

Tell us , is there signs of recovery and is that good for America?

You didn't read the article did you?

The report is just spin. Christina Romer herself recently made comments that we have a Crisis of Demand - that consumer activity is sluggish. The article says that 80% of economists believe that the jobs lost won't recover until 2013 (notice the extension of recovery beyond the 2012 election to provide an excuse for Obama). If jobs don't recover, consumer demand will not recover. As Consumer Spending is 70% of the economy, the article is not credible.

The recent growth is due to a bit of inventory replenishment. Starting in 2008, companies liquidated inventories in response to the Recession. We're at such low levels that some restocking is necessary.

Those 46 Economists all have jobs, no reason for them not to look at the bright side of things.

You could not tell that the economy is recovering by looking at me. I hope it is recovering, but I am still looking for that hopey changey thing.

I have nothing to celebrate at the moment. I'm darned frustrated with my job search. I can't even get the frigging employment agencies to give me a frigging call back. That has got to suck! When the economic recovery rears its beautiful countenance upon us all, you can damn well be certain, I will be celebrating.

And for the record, I don't hate President Obama. I am not all that thrilled with his idea of health care reform, but I definitely do not hate him, in fact, as a person, I like him much better than his immediate predecessor.

Immie

Last edited:
Those 46 Economists all have jobs, no reason for them not to look at the bright side of things.

You could not tell that the economy is recovering by looking at me. I hope it is recovering, but I am still looking for that hopey changey thing.

I have nothing to celebrate at the moment. I'm darned frustrated with my job search. I can't even get the frigging employment agencies to give me a frigging call back. That has got to suck! When the economic recovery rears its beautiful countenance upon us all, you can damn well be certain, I will be celebrating.

And for the record, I don't hate President Obama. I am not all that thrilled with his idea of health care reform, but I definitely do not hate him, in fact, as a person, I like him much better than his immediate predecessor.

Immie

Drop in on places in person if you can. That way youll stand out alittle and they cant do the not calling thing to you.

Immie

Drop in on places in person if you can. That way youll stand out alittle and they cant do the not calling thing to you.

Funny, you should mention that. Because that is exactly what I plan on doing. My latest attempt at contacting the agencies was on Friday via phone call. I figured that since they did not return my call Friday afternoon, that they might have been out of the office.

If I don't hear from them today, I plan on "dropping" in tomorrow on one or two.

Immie

Funny, you should mention that. Because that is exactly what I plan on doing. My latest attempt at contacting the agencies was on Friday via phone call. I figured that since they did not return my call Friday afternoon, that they might have been out of the office.

If I don't hear from them today, I plan on "dropping" in tomorrow on one or two.

Immie

Friend of mine also suggesting researching places and positions youd be interested in and then interviewing one of the people about that position just to get more info about whether its something youd want or not. She told me she has gotten offered jobs more often that way then any other way.

Immie

You just have to be patient. There is no quick fix and the higher skilled your jobset is, the longer it may take. We have been through this in the past and it is not easy. I came out of college at the end of VietNam and the Apollo program. There were no Engineering jobs anywhere.
It took a while, but everyone eventually found a job.

Best of luck Immie

New Topics

Forum List

Back