Memorial Day Plans

Memorial Day: What it is about and what it is not about.

It's not about all Veterans. It's disrespectful to suggest it is.

"Unlike Veterans Day in which we honor all who served, on Memorial Day, we remember military members who made the ultimate sacrifice, and acknowledge their courage, selflessness, and commitment “to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion.” (Former President Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg)." -- remember

In memory of those who have fallen in the defense of our country... and I always add the first responders who have perished doing their sworn duty to save others...
And so I do what they would like to see if they were still with us... I get together with other Americans for a day of remembrance and celebration for the fact we live in the best nation on earth...

volunteering my time and labor at one of the local veterans cemeteries to do some free maintenance for them.

“We do not know one promise these men made, one pledge they gave, one word they spoke; but we do know they summed up and perfected, by one supreme act, the highest virtues of men and citizens. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.”
– James A. Garfield, May 30, 1868, Arlington National Cemetery

Originally called Decoration Day, from the early tradition of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags, Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of those who have died in service to our country. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868 to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of Gen. John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former Union sailors and soldiers.

During that first national commemoration, former Union Gen. and sitting Ohio Congressman James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who were buried there.

This national event galvanized efforts to honor and remember fallen soldiers that began with local observances at burial grounds in several towns throughout the United States following the end of the Civil War, such as the May 1, 1865 gathering in Charleston, South Carolina organized by freed slaves to pay tribute and give proper burial to Union troops.

In 1873, New York was the first state to designate Memorial Day as a legal holiday. By the late 1800s, many more cities and communities observed Memorial Day, and several states had declared it a legal holiday.

After World War I, it became an occasion for honoring those who died in all of America’s wars and was then more widely established as a national holiday throughout the United States.

In 1971, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act and established that Memorial Day was to be commemorated on the last Monday of May.

Memorial Day is commemorated at Arlington National Cemetery each year with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Traditionally, the President or Vice President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Big concert in the park tonight... three bands three bars with booze and some of the best looking chicks in town.... should be fun... it will begin with the pledge of allegiance followed by the national anthem....
God Bless America....
Have a wonderful weekend my fellow posters and moderators... stay safe...

Words of Townes:​

this song uh came about

uh out on

a I'm going to play two more because

they both came from uh the

same river up in

Tennessee where I lived for a while on

this farm and there was a certain uh

place a rock that I would go sit on the

farm and look at the river and

uh talk to the river River and couple of

songs came from that River but I think

this uh song is

about flying

shoes during the Civil War there was the

Battle of Franklin and uh was on

December the 17th and it was a terrible

uh must have been a terrible

ordeal and there was General Hood from

Texas

Brigade attacked Franklin and got beaten

back and beaten back and uh it's real

cold

in December the 17th in

Nashville and this is all around my farm

and I was thinking about it and I was

they couldn't retrieve the wounded from

the field because

of the fire

so the wounded uh Confederates and

Yankees

both had to lay out there all

night and I was thinking about a young

confederate

soldier who was wounded and couldn't

move laying there and

uh that's where the song came from I'm

not sure the connection but that's where

it came from it's called flying shoes

Smokin' ribs, drinking beer, remembering the fallen.

There was a guy that never even got a chance to fight. Killed while fastroping on his very first deployment.

Day 1 done. :(

I'd like to know what dumbass picked that area for an insertion point.

Forum List

Back