Medieval sword unearthed in Poland might be from Battle of Grunwald

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The person who carried the sword might have been one of roughly 66,000 people who clashed at the Battle of Grunwald on July 15, 1410, according to Encyclopedia Britannica. The battle, fought near the Polish villages of Stębark (also known as Tannenberg), Grunwald and Ludwigsdorf, ended with a Polish-Lithuanian victory over the Knights of the Teutonic Order, which was founded during the Crusades to the Holy Land and later came to rule over what was then Prussia.

The Knights of the Teutonic Order often waged battles against their non-Christian neighbors, including the Duchy of Lithuania. But then, Lithuania's pagan grand duke converted to Catholicism and married the Polish Queen Jadwiga; he became king when she died and took the name King Władysław II Jagiełło. He later became known for uniting Poland and Lithuania during the region's Golden Age, and even has a statue honoring him in New York City's Central Park.

Is that cool or what? I love how we just jumped right to the Battle of Grunwald.

That's unbelievably fascinating.

I'd be afraid to touch it, for fear that it would collapse in a cloud of rust in my hands.

Forum List

Back