Massad Ayoob on carrying extra ammo....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
In the past we have had discussions on how much ammo a regular, law abiding citizen may need to protect themselves....and here is Massad Ayoob, one of the shooting world's greats....explaining his thoughts...

Massad Ayoob 6 Bad Excuses To Not Carry Spare Ammo The Daily Caller

#2. If I need more than the five shots in my snub-nose 38, I couldn’t have won the fight with more.

No. If you haven’t won the fight with five shots, all it means is, you need more than five shots to win the fight. In the 1970s, the Illinois State Police gave me free rein to poll their troopers and study their gunfights, back when they were the only troopers in the country carrying auto-loading pistols. I was able to identify 13 troopers who almost certainly survived because they had auto-loaders (single-stack 9mm S&W Model 39s) instead of the six-shot revolvers they carried before.

#3. But I’m not a cop!

Doesn’t matter. You’re facing the same scumbags they face. I’ve run across the occasional case where the private citizen has run dry, reloaded and prevailed. I’ve also run into cases where they emptied their gun and the danger was still there. A good friend of mine, Richard Davis, shot it out with three armed robbery suspects in a Detroit alley many years ago. When the last round in his six-shot revolver went off, he had severely wounded one opponent, seriously wounded a second, and slightly wounded a third.
With no spare ammo he had nothing to do but run, at which time one of the perps shot him twice. He survived—and learned to carry powerful semi-auto pistols with spare ammunition.

#6. Well, if my five shots or six shots aren’t enough, I’ll just run away.

An amusing suggestion, but if you could have run away, why didn’t you do so before? The very fact that you’re in a situation that has required you to empty a gun at one or more human beings probably indicates that if you turn and run, you’ll just get a few bullets in the back.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back