Less immigrant labor in US contributing to price hikes

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
Interesting article.

Just 10 miles from the Rio Grande, Mike Helle’s farm is so short of immigrant workers that he’s replaced 450 acres of labor-intensive leafy greens with crops that can be harvested by machinery.

In Houston, Al Flores increased the price of his BBQ restaurant’s brisket plate because the cost of the cut doubled due to meatpacking plants’ inability to fully staff immigrant-heavy production lines. In the Dallas area, Joshua Correa raised prices on the homes his company builds by $150,000 to cover increased costs stemming partly from a lack of immigrant labor.

Helle, who raises onion, cabbage, melons and kale just outside the border town of McAllen, Texas, is also paying more to his workers, who are almost exclusively immigrants. People born in the U.S., he says, won’t work the fields regardless of the pay.

Before he could find farmworkers just in the region. Now he’s joined a federal program to bring agricultural workers across the border. It’s more expensive for him, but he said it’s the only way he can keep his crops from spoiling in the ground.

Helle, 60, has farmed the area for decades. “I live 10 miles from the Rio Grande river and I never in my life thought we’d be in this situation.”

Interesting article.

Just 10 miles from the Rio Grande, Mike Helle’s farm is so short of immigrant workers that he’s replaced 450 acres of labor-intensive leafy greens with crops that can be harvested by machinery.

In Houston, Al Flores increased the price of his BBQ restaurant’s brisket plate because the cost of the cut doubled due to meatpacking plants’ inability to fully staff immigrant-heavy production lines. In the Dallas area, Joshua Correa raised prices on the homes his company builds by $150,000 to cover increased costs stemming partly from a lack of immigrant labor.

Helle, who raises onion, cabbage, melons and kale just outside the border town of McAllen, Texas, is also paying more to his workers, who are almost exclusively immigrants. People born in the U.S., he says, won’t work the fields regardless of the pay.

Before he could find farmworkers just in the region. Now he’s joined a federal program to bring agricultural workers across the border. It’s more expensive for him, but he said it’s the only way he can keep his crops from spoiling in the ground.

Helle, 60, has farmed the area for decades. “I live 10 miles from the Rio Grande river and I never in my life thought we’d be in this situation.”
Hopefully a bag of onions will cost 15 bucks soon. People can pick their own damned produce. We're too spoiled here and need to lower our standard of living. We spoiled rotten Americans

Do they grow baby formula?

Hopefully a bag of onions will cost 15 bucks soon. People can pick their own damned produce. We're too spoiled here and need to lower our standard of living. We spoiled rotten Americans

Do they grow baby formula?

you are so cute when you try and be a jerk, you are so clearly full of shit but you just keep trying.

Please do not stop, the entertainment value is worth your effort.

you are so cute when you try and be a jerk, you are so clearly full of shit but you just keep trying.

Please do not stop, the entertainment value is worth your effort.
I'm glad you like it. The entertainment of seeing you libturds implode this country is funny. Please don't stop

Well I'm so worried I'm off to the course on a sunny day. Worst thing about life it is too soggy still in early May

Luckily I find more golf balls then I lose. When a Nike sleeve costs 30 bucks I'll think of you

Fore...lolol

I'm glad you like it. The entertainment of seeing you libturds implode this country is funny. Please don't stop

Well I'm so worried I'm off to the course on a sunny day. Worst thing about life it is too soggy still in early May

Luckily I find more golf balls then I lose. When a Nike sleeve costs 30 bucks I'll think of you

Fore...lolol

You can find bag of used Nike balls on line, those seem right up your alley.

Interesting article.

Sounds like immigrants don't want to work the fields either since FJB has flooded the country with entitled illegals.

Sounds like immigrants don't want to work the fields either since FJB has flooded the country with entitled illegals.

How does he screen for just the entitled ones?

Is there a survey they take prior to getting here?

Can you lay out the process taken to ensure only the entitled ones flood the country?

Forum List

Back