Last Vietnam-era Draftee Retiring from Army

and i'm not trying to take away from anyone, i'm just betting there are more out there - at least in the guard.

The guard was a refuge for people who didn't want to go to Vietnam but were too cowardly to go to Canada.

btw George Bush was an example of this.

RETARD ALERT. George Bush flew THE MOST DANGEROUS AIRCRAFT in the Air force arsenal at the time. He flew it more often then required and he Volunteered for assignment to Viet Nam.

Realistically - if you were born after 1950 - the chances of serving in Nam were non-existent.

I Have heard Americans who who born around 1953 that claimed to have served in Nam in combat - but I don't buy it.

One thing that really pizzes me off is the disrespect for the National Guard (and ROTC)- calling draft -dodgers who fled to Canada braver than those who served in the NG.

Motherfucker shut your mouth, you had your chance to serve in the Military and you squandered it because you are a coward, instead all you do now is play Medal of Honor, watch the Military channel and play the role of Arm Chair General, fuck you and the horse you rode in on.:thup:

Realistically - if you were born after 1950 - the chances of serving in Nam were non-existent.

I Have heard Americans who who born around 1953 that claimed to have served in Nam in combat - but I don't buy it.

One thing that really pizzes me off is the disrespect for the National Guard (and ROTC)- calling draft -dodgers who fled to Canada braver than those who served in the NG.

We pulled out our combat troops from Nam in 73, That means that in 1971, myself and thousands of others were young dumb privates in the army at age 18. You need to check your math.

And nothing but respect for all who wore the uniform, NG or Reserve. The dodgers can talk all they want but it's just talk....

We pulled out our combat troops from Nam in 73, That means that in 1971, myself and thousands of others were young dumb privates in the army at age 18. You need to check your math.

And nothing but respect for all who wore the uniform, NG or Reserve. The dodgers can talk all they want but it's just talk....

Ollie ginscpy could have served in Vietnam if he wanted to, he is lying to himself and everyone and trying to convince us that he was too young to serve, when in reality he skated and didn't have the balls to serve his country.

Ollie ginscpy could have served in Vietnam if he wanted to, he is lying to himself and everyone and trying to convince us that he was too young to serve, when in reality he skated and didn't have the balls to serve his country.

Actually that's fine. As long as he wasn't skating in Canada, or England like a certain President was...... It's not something everyone can or should do. But it is something one shouldn't run away from.

ROTC? What are you talking about? People in ROTC generally go straight into the regular Army and they certainly were going into the regular Army in the Viet Nam era. It's a college program, it didn't offer any protection against going to Viet Nam. At the old land grant colleges, students were required to do two years of ROTC, which isn't the really relevant as it was just a general requirement for students that otherwise had no interest in military service.

Deferments are another story. Especially when people started to get into the double digits.

Anyways, thanks to this SGM for 39 years of service, regardless of how it started.

Actually that's fine. As long as he wasn't skating in Canada, or England like a certain President was...... It's not something everyone can or should do. But it is something one shouldn't run away from.

I agree that its not for everyone but I don't like this dude because hes alwats putting down our volunteer Military and wants the draft back, when he knows damn well he's too old to be drafted. Anyone asking for a draft and they know they won't be called up is cowardly.

I knew two brothers who were both 4F

One rarely ate food and took anphetamines so that he stayed under weight.

And the other brother ate like a pig so that he stayed obese.

Every six months they had to report to be reevaluated and have their weight checked.

Neither one ever got drafted.

True story. :doubt:

But I wasn't thinking- up physical ailments to get declared 4-F - some of my peers were seriously discussing getting "accidental injuries' to be declared unfit for the draft in the early 70s.

I have a philosophical preference for the draft over the volunteer military - not that I disrespect the volunteers of the post-draft military.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call a Rhodes Scholarship "skating in England". Lots of USMA guys where Rhodes Scholars who went to England and came back to do OBC and go to Nam. You are right that Clinton avoided Viet Nam and there are the records to back it up.

He's far from the only one. FWIW, I credit the guys who were on active duty at the time for having the balls to go. Every other male of age either took their chances with the draft or crooked the odds. The sons of affluence (or kids like Clinton who had the academic chops) found creative ways to avoid going to Viet Nam. If people want to respect Bush, that's fine. But he didn't join the TANG out of a deep desire to serve his nation, and we all know that. He joined the TANG to get out of going to Viet Nam. If he wanted to go to Viet Nam, he would have gone. It's not like they were turning people away. As the man himself said:

"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I choose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."

-As quoted in the Houston Chronicle, May 8, 1994

The people who ran to Canada did so only because they had no better options and were generally middle and lower class. I just think it's somewhat unfair to slam them for essentially doing what everyone else was doing with the options they had available to them.

Last edited:

Every six months they had to report to be reevaluated and have their weight checked.

That's only slightly less extreme then one of the Allmen Brothers shooting his foot with a shotgun or Ted Nugent's (now redacted) story about sitting in his how shit for seven days to fail a psych eval.

BTW, Ted Nugent has also never done drugs. Not even MJ. Never. Ever.

At least, according to Ted.

Was ginscpy one of them?

I wouldn't call a Rhodes Scholarship "skating in England". Lost of USMA guys where Rhodes Scholars who went to England and came back to do OBC and go to Nam. You are right that Clinton avoided Viet Nam and there are the records to back it up.

He's far from the only one. FWIW, I credit the guys who were on active duty at the time for having the balls to go. Every other male of age either took their chances with the draft or crooked the odds. The sons of affluence (or kids like Clinton who had the academic chops) found creative ways to avoid going to Viet Nam. If people want to respect Bush, that's fine. But he didn't join the TANG out of a deep desire to serve his nation, and we all know that. He joined the TANG to get out of going to Viet Nam. If he wanted to go to Viet Nam, he would have gone. It's not like they were turning people away. As the man himself said:

"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I choose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."

The people who ran to Canada did so only because they had no better options and were generally middle and lower class. I just think it's somewhat unfair to slam them for essentially doing what everyone else was doing with the options they had available to them.

I had that option. I enlisted. I do not personally know anyone who ran away to Canada or elsewhere. So, I will continue to call them what I see them as; cowards.

Was ginscpy one of them?

Nope.

I ate normally. At the time I could have been drafted - I was 5'9" and 125 lbs - so I may have been underweight. Had a stomach as flat as an ironing board back then.

Last edited:
I was drafted and did basic training at Fort Lewis Washington.We were in isolation and had to wear a special patch that showed we were basic trainees.

Canada was very close and only a short drive away. Every once in a while you would see a flyer posted somewhere that said: " If you are opposed to the war and want to come to Canada, call this number xxx-xxxx"

I guess some antiwar protesters would post these during the night. Apparently they would come and sneak you off the base and drive you to Canada. Then a Canadian girl would volunteer to marry you. Thus immediately making you a Canadian citizen.

Never personally knew anyone who did it but the option was open.

Was ginscpy one of them?

Nope.

I ate normally. At the time I could have been drafted - I was 5'9" and 125 lbs - so I may have been underweight. Had a stomach as flat as an ironing board back then.

Another excuse? I thought you didn't sign up because you were too young?:doubt:

I wouldn't call a Rhodes Scholarship "skating in England". Lost of USMA guys where Rhodes Scholars who went to England and came back to do OBC and go to Nam. You are right that Clinton avoided Viet Nam and there are the records to back it up.

I had that option. I enlisted. I do not personally know anyone who ran away to Canada or elsewhere. So, I will continue to call them what I see them as; cowards.

I am not denying that. I just don't see them as any different then the affluent who achieved the same result by crooking the system.

This is why I oppose a draft though, just as it was in 1863, the affluent will always find a way to send someone else.

Clinton lobbied to get out of the draft. Pulled lots of strings. Could have served in the NG like George Bush or Dan Quayle (whose NG service was mercilessly ridiculled by the libs)

Sure - he went to Oxford.

Also went to the Soviet Union when they were the Congs staunchest allies.

Then disgraced the presidency.

Clinton lobbied to get out of the draft. Pulled lots of strings. Could have served in the NG like George Bush or Dan Quayle (whose NG service was mercilessly ridiculled by the libs)

Sure - he went to Oxford.

Also went to the Soviet Union when they were the Congs staunchest allies.

Then disgraced the presidency.

Yeah? so what? you didn't go over to Nam either you coward.

We were PULLING OUT of Nam in 1971 big-time. Pullout started in 1970.

Try boning-up on your history.

Forum List

Back