Just For Fun.....Post-Up Your Recent Pawn Shop, Flea Market, etc. Finds

Here's my "deluxe" Yjey sure are pretty. Have the standard barrel and a Tac Innovation 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize those 60 gr "aguila sniper rounds" Bottom is a Howa 223, it's changed some now. nice Boyds engraved stock. Leopold MK-AR scope. Varmints hate it.
fh0GnZ8.jpg
A few months back I was at my local pawn shop and the owner brought out a 10-22 that had been forfeited.

Right away I noticed that it had a Kidd barrel/bolt/charging handle/trigger group guts but the Boyds gray laminated thumbhole stock that it was in looked "odd".....It turned-out it was in a stock for a 10-22 Magnum and the former owner had used a plastic block to fill in the difference in the receiver length.
smiley_abused.gif

Well the price was right at $240.00 so I took it home, took it apart, and put the barreled action into a spare .920 Ruger "target" stock I had and topped it with a Nikon P-22 scope. It turned out OK.

I sold the magnum stock on eBay for $129.00 so I ended-up with around $115.00 in the donor rifle.

It's very accurate and quiet (as semis go) with my can using CCI Standard.

cs_003__2__JPG-2108984.JPG

The problem is all the pawn shops I've been to in my area ask more than new or almost new prices for a lot of things. Heck the last one I went to wanted double the cost for a High-Point C9. I laughed out loud and walked out.

The problem is all the pawn shops I've been to in my area ask more than new or almost new prices for a lot of things. Heck the last one I went to wanted double the cost for a High-Point C9. I laughed out loud and walked out.
I have the time to develop a relationship with my local pawn and gun shops that I did not used to have before I retired and they will hold stuff that they know I have a interest in or sometimes even call me.

If the price is half-way decent I'll take something even if it's just for "trade fodder" later but yeah, there are those types of "why pay less" gun/pawn shops in my AO too.

Even then it's sometimes worth going in if they take consignments and they are not the ones pricing them.

A few months back I was at my local pawn shop and the owner brought out a 10-22 that had been forfeited.

Right away I noticed that it had a Kidd barrel/bolt/charging handle/trigger group guts but the Boyds gray laminated thumbhole stock that it was in looked "odd".....It turned-out it was in a stock for a 10-22 Magnum and the former owner had used a plastic block to fill in the difference in the receiver length.
smiley_abused.gif

Well the price was right at $240.00 so I took it home, took it apart, and put the barreled action into a spare .920 Ruger "target" stock I had and topped it with a Nikon P-22 scope. It turned out OK.

I sold the magnum stock on eBay for $129.00 so I ended-up with around $115.00 in the donor rifle.

It's very accurate and quiet (as semis go) with my can using CCI Standard.

cs_003__2__JPG-2108984.JPG
Now that's one pretty Ruger, fluted barrels, cool muzzle device, back slash on the forend, pretty. Yes they are fairly quiet for a 22, especially with a can! I make it quieter. Aguila subsonics (cycle fine), suppressed and hold your thumb on the bolt to eliminate action noise. I do that on my 22 Ruger 22/45 also.

Wow. Looks much like my Savafe sporter m23a think it was. Gave it to my Nephew. 32-20 very cool.
I think the model line was 23 and A, B, C (maybe D) stood for the calibers.

A or AA for .22 Rimfire, B for .22 Hornet, and C for 25-20/.32-20.

Some claim the .32-20 is a D model but others say that because they use the same mag they are the same model.....Blah, who knows as there was no model designation stamped upon the rifle and most of the info comes from old Savage/Stevens catalogs.

I think the model line was 23 and A, B, C (maybe D) stood for the calibers.

A or AA for .22 Rimfire, B for .22 Hornet, and C for 25-20/.32-20.

Some claim the .32-20 is a D model but others say that because they use the same mag they are the same model.....Blah, who knows as there was no model designation stamped upon the rifle and most of the info comes from old Savage/Stevens catalogs.
Thanks, that's interesting. My 23a was a rimfire 22, nice curly stock. Straight tube lyman scope but replaced with Lyman peeps. I was Junior NRA in the late 60's. I shot NRA 22 small bore rifle with that 23a, expert medal on the wall, I was 2 targets from distinguished riflemen when I got interested in girls. It was a shooter. I shot in New Haven yearly comps. We had army 22 target rifles we could use. Bunch 52 d's around. Many high zoot 22 target rifles and I had no problem. Savage is a fav of mine, I'm 67. Quality and accuracy can not be denied. Then there is the simple barrel/caliber swap. Bolt heads replaceable for diff bases, take a short action 243 which I have, change barrel to 6.5 creed and headspace it. LOVE Savages.

Not to forget 32-20? How awesome. I knew 2 real luff off the grid hermits in the 60's and a 32-20 win lever was their game getter. I got a weakness for small cal in a bolt. I had a Spanish Destroyer in 9x23 largo, what a hoot! I'm a mfg, was (stll do legally for personal) and want to do something cool like falling block, rolling block etc, single shot pistol calibers. Imagine a 5.7 single shot? How cool

I picked up a couple more S&Ws this week.

A 1917 M1917 S&W that had been reworked/recylindered to .45 Colt back in the 50s-60s by Christy's Gun Works out of Sacramento, CA.

I also found a nice 1991 S&W Model 49-2 J-Frame.
001 (2).JPG

Pawn Shop Find!
I found a Springfield/Stevens 87A .22 today. Yep, a old clickety-clack. It looks as if someone restocked it in French Walnut and since I knew I a had a like vintage scope/mount to fit it I took it home. $150.00.
It shoots light-out given the 24" barrel. They made some very accurate barrels back in the day.

8 001 (2).JPG

I found this is a thrift/junk store in Fernandina Beach. It's an Apollo 11 tie-bar. I paid $10 for it. Apparently, there were cuff links which went along with it. A complete set in good condition could be worth a few hundred bucks.

thumbnail_IMG_6694.jpg

I'm going to display it with my copy of the New York Times from July 21, 1969 (mine's not in quite as good condition as this example):

03insider-moonmorris-3-articleLarge.jpg

I done good at the gun shop this morning.

A very clean 1955 Chi-Com Type 53 Carbine and a I-Cut M1 Carbine stock set that needs a bit of TLC.

t 007 (3).JPG

Santa brought me a Remington #2 Rolling Block Sporting rifle in .32-20. :)

32 002 (2).JPG

The Pawn Shop gawds were kind this morning. :)

I picked-up a first year ('72) production Winchester 9422M (.22 Magnum) and a late-'60s commercial Plainfield Machine Company M1 Carbine "Paratrooper".........$750.00.

p 001 (2).JPG

Well the flea market opened up this weekend! Yard sales to soon follow! :banana:

I picked-up a couple pieces of quality gun leather at the flea market this morning.....$5.00 each.

A George Lawrence flap holster and a Robert Saddlery, both for a 7.50" SAA revolver.

I figure they are good for about $175.00 resale. ;)

h 008 (2).JPG

View attachment 570558

Probably one of my better scores this year. These are U.S. WWII Veteran Bring-backs. He took these when he fought in Germany during WWII. From top to bottom, Heer (army) officers breast tunic eagle, Panzer officers eagle, and Kreigsmarine cap eagle.

Lol… those are pretty weak counterfeits, most counterfeits are made to look age authentic, those aren't even close.

The Pawn Shop gawds were kind this morning. :)

I picked-up a first year ('72) production Winchester 9422M (.22 Magnum) and a late-'60s commercial Plainfield Machine Company M1 Carbine "Paratrooper".........$750.00.

View attachment 591029
Does the M1 Carbine have a date of manufacture on the barrel? Mine is 2/44 (standard carbine), I'm assuming the paratrooper model was a pre-1945 manufacture.

Does the M1 Carbine have a date of manufacture on the barrel? Mine is 2/44 (standard carbine), I'm assuming the paratrooper model was a pre-1945 manufacture.

Most GI Carbines will have the manufacturer/date stamped on them.....There was also a barrel sharing program (barrels were the bottleneck). I have a National Postal Meter with a IBM barrel.....Perfectly legit.

A M1A1 "paratrooper" are of WW-2 Inland manufacture and are within a certain documented serial range.

M1A1

3698.jpg

An Official Journal Of The NRA | The M1A1 Carbine

Now there was a run of M1A1 stocks in the late 50s/early 60s by Overton (ww-2 manufacturer of the M1A1 stocks) that were made for the M-2 (full auto) Carbine and regular carbines that were made from on-hand and newly made parts (mostly the cast buttplate) and all of those had what was called the "M2 Cut" for the selector switch.

I have one of those and the beauty of that stock is you can put any post-war reconfigured carbine (bayonet lug and rear sight) in them and it will be "correct" for a Vietnam era Carbine. ;)

Forum List

Back