June 6th, Today is D-Day

Marion Morrison

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2017
Now I know they may not be teaching the importance of D-Day in the schools anymore, but

today marks the anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy. American soldiers stormed

the beach under heavy fire and many did not make it.

My uncle did make it back, but sometimes when he fell asleep in the living room La-Z-Boy, he'd have really bad nightmares and be right back there.

D-Day marks the beginning of the end of the Nazis, Fascists, and Imperial Japan.

Last edited:
The end for Japan began with the Battle of Midway that happened on June 4th through the 6th in 1942. Interesting that the turning point of both the war in Europe and the Pacific happened on basically the same date two years apart.

• Banned
The end for Japan began with the Battle of Midway that happened on June 4th through the 6th in 1942. Interesting that the turning point of both the war in Europe and the Pacific happened on basically the same date two years apart.

I lumped them in with The Axis. ;)

Everyone should somehow have an opportunity to visit the beaches and cemeteries and memorials in Normandy. I can't adequately describe my feelings from two visits, other than I hope to go back again.

Bless all our brave boys and those of our allies from that day. A terrible place to die but a beautiful resting place.

• Banned
Everyone should somehow have an opportunity to visit the beaches and cemeteries and memorials in Normandy. I can't adequately describe my feelings from two visits, other than I hope to go back again.

Bless all our brave boys and those of our allies from that day. A terrible place to die but a beautiful resting place.

I'd like to do that sometime!

Often overlooked are the huge casualties suffered by the Army Air Forces preparing for the invasion. The invasion could not have taken place without air superiority.

• Banned
Often overlooked are the huge casualties suffered by the Army Air Forces preparing for the invasion. The invasion could not have taken place without air superiority.

This is true.

I was surprised at the amount of blimps used.

Ofc you're probably referencing all the strategic bombings while under AA fire.

I visited Omaha beach in 1958 when I was 19 and a soldier in Germany. I was looking for my father's footprints but they had disappeared with the tides.

Hope you're able to do it. An incredible experience is all I can say.

I bet! Not on the radar for the foreseeable future.

Now I know they may not be teaching the importance of D-Day in the schools anymore, but

today marks the anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy. American soldiers stormed

My uncle did make it back, but sometimes when he fell asleep in the living room La-Z-Boy, he'd have really bad nightmares and be right back there.

D-Day marks the beginning of the end of the Nazis, Fascists, and Imperial Japan.

17005909_1281581188600343_35283251_n.jpg

Also, the initial visit to Pearl Harbor will put a chill in your spine.

Also, the initial visit to Pearl Harbor will put a chill in your spine.

The two most sobering moments of my life, Pearl Harbor and Dachau

View attachment 131254

44cb878c77edec578c5867ed60947094.jpg

View attachment 131254

How vile can a poster be? This vile. Insulting soldiers who fought and died on June 6, 1944, and use the day to remember to promote a nut job conspiracy theory based solely on ignorance.

Forum List

Back