Judge bans IRS from withholding $1,200 stimulus checks from prisoners after officials intercepted the money during the initial round of COVID relief

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

GUESS WHICH CIRCUIT? GUESS WHICH PRESIDENT APPOINTED HER?

(Answers: "Duh" and "Clinton")
Most of them have court-appointed debt, so they're not partying.

So is the money sent to the prisoners for spending at the prison commissary or saving until release?

Or is it just for the guards to use on the job at their own discretion for the benefit of their prisoners?

Of is it confiscated to pay for medical care of prisoners? Prisoners don't get good medical care anyways, because doctors can't be imprisoned for mistreating anybody already in prison: medical malpractice and involuntary human experimentation are part of the punishment of the prison sentence any case in the United States. Prisoners who refuse medical care or don't pay for it lose their time off for good behavior, because the parole board dings them for medical non-compliance.

So is the money sent to the prisoners for spending at the prison commissary or saving until release?

Or is it just for the guards to use on the job at their own discretion for the benefit of their prisoners?

Of is it confiscated to pay for medical care of prisoners? Prisoners don't get good medical care anyways, because doctors can't be imprisoned for mistreating anybody already in prison: medical malpractice and involuntary human experimentation are part of the punishment of the prison sentence any case in the United States. Prisoners who refuse medical care or don't pay for it lose their time off for good behavior, because the parole board dings them for medical non-compliance.
Money would go to court debts. It has to.

systemically concentrates wealth at the top of society. The solution: massive wealth redistribution that attacks disparities across the board
Money would go to court debts. It has to.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. They're not going let the prisoners pay off court debts while in prison, because then it would be more difficult to imprison them again for failing to pay off the debts.

The desire of the courts is to punish, and to further punish prisoners, not to acknowledge the payment of any debts.

Guess I'm confused as to why a prisoner needs a stimulus check? Are they running a business in there? Are they unemployed? The state gives them everything they need: bread and water.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. They're not going let the prisoners pay off court debts while in prison, because then it would be more difficult to imprison them again for failing to pay off the debts.

The desire of the courts is to punish, and to further punish prisoners, not to acknowledge the payment of any debts.
Pretty convoluted stuff, especially given that the law dictates whatever funds they receive beyond some minimum must be used to pay off those debts.

Guess I'm confused as to why a prisoner needs a stimulus check? Are they running a business in there? Are they unemployed? The state gives them everything they need: bread and water
And in that case why should some prisoners and not others be allowed commissary privileges from outside funds and family members?

The guards are going to divvy up or confiscate or redistribute any of the prisoners money or commissary items as they see fit anyways.

Pretty convoluted stuff, especially given that the law dictates whatever funds they receive beyond some minimum must be used to pay off those debts.
But the debts are not perfected, and not subject to pre-payment, until the prisoners release, and then after they've been served with the claim of debt, and the obligation is perfected and payable, then they can be reimprisoned for failing to have paid off the debt previously.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would a stimulus check be given to such people in the first place when they are in jail unless this concerns those who are about to be released?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

These checks were not fraudulently obtained. They were eligible for them. That seems to be the right decision. They followed the law.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would a stimulus check be given to such people in the first place when they are in jail unless this concerns those who are about to be released?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I agree. Why give someone in prison a stimulus check. They are in prison and being housed and fed. And they certainly haven't been working.

Forum List

Back