Is COVID-19 Really A Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.?

Here is a COVID-19 statistic that we never hear about: COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of all deaths (deaths from all causes) by age group. This is an important statistic because recently some news outlets have claimed that COVID-19 is now a leading cause of death in the U.S. So it would be instructive and revealing to see what percentage of each age group’s total deaths are being caused by COVID-19. These percentages are based on the numbers in this morning’s CDC report on provisional deaths in the U.S.

If you find the percentages surprisingly low, or even shockingly low, perhaps this explains why they are not being discussed by CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, Vox, the Washington Post, the New York Times, Snopes, the Huffington Post, etc., etc.

AGE -------- COVID-19 DEATHS AS PERCENTAGE OF ALL DEATHS
00-14 ------- 0.08% (or 12.5 times lower than 1%)
15-24 ------- 0.38% (or 2.6 times lower than 1%)
25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

If you check the CDC report, you’ll see that I rounded up in every single case, and that I even assumed a slightly higher number of deaths among ages 00-14 in calculating the percentage for that age group. Even with that inflated assumption, the percentage of deaths among ages 00-14 that have been caused by COVID-19 comes to only 0.08%, as of this morning. In other words, 99.92% of the deaths in this age group have resulted from other causes, not from COVID-19.

So is COVID-19 really "a leading cause of death" in the U.S.? It is not even one of the top five causes of death in the U.S., which are as follows:

160,000 --- chronic lower respiratory diseases
169,000 –-- accidents
250,000 --- medical errors
590,000 --- cancer
640,000 --- heart disease

In Sweden, which has followed a very moderate, targeted approach to dealing with COVID-19, the overall death rate is 0.02143% (2,192 deaths out of 10.23 million people). If you applied that percentage to the U.S. population, that would equal 70,290 deaths, not even close to matching the number of Americans who die from chronic lower respiratory diseases each year.

Here is an excellent briefing by two ER doctors on the case for ending the lockdown:

Here is the CDC report on provisional deaths in the U.S. from which the above percentages were derived:

while i do agree with the #'s the counter point you must consider is -

none of those other ones are contagious.

while i go along with "life is a risk" because it is, to compare a highly contagious disease to cancer? well billions has been poured into cancer research and will continue to be. accidents? how does this really compare with something you're simply trying to contain?

The common cold is contagious too so is the flu so using your method we stay locked down forever to better mankind.

Either you agree with this or admit that you are wrong

the common cold isn't likely to kill you.
flu - not so much so those are the "apples to apples" #'s i'd be looking at.

the rest are just bulletpoints that makes people go WOW THAT'S A LOT but are meaningless to the point.

look, i want this shit over too. i would much rather go out and face life than shit at home crying BOOGIE MAN STAY AWAY; but the comparisons that don't help the cause, i'm going to say.

I will start with and complete you first sentence/
The common cold is not likely to kill you (neither is this)

Here is a COVID-19 statistic that we never hear about: COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of all deaths (deaths from all causes) by age group. This is an important statistic because recently some news outlets have claimed that COVID-19 is now a leading cause of death in the U.S. So it would be instructive and revealing to see what percentage of each age group’s total deaths are being caused by COVID-19. These percentages are based on the numbers in this morning’s CDC report on provisional deaths in the U.S.

If you find the percentages surprisingly low, or even shockingly low, perhaps this explains why they are not being discussed by CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, Vox, the Washington Post, the New York Times, Snopes, the Huffington Post, etc., etc.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

If you check the CDC report, you’ll see that I rounded up in every single case, and that I even assumed a slightly higher number of deaths among ages 00-14 in calculating the percentage for that age group. Even with that inflated assumption, the percentage of deaths among ages 00-14 that have been caused by COVID-19 comes to only 0.08%, as of this morning. In other words, 99.92% of the deaths in this age group have resulted from other causes, not from COVID-19.

So is COVID-19 really "a leading cause of death" in the U.S.? It is not even one of the top five causes of death in the U.S., which are as follows:

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

In Sweden, which has followed a very moderate, targeted approach to dealing with COVID-19, the overall death rate is 0.02143% (2,192 deaths out of 10.23 million people). If you applied that percentage to the U.S. population, that would equal 70,290 deaths, not even close to matching the number of Americans who die from chronic lower respiratory diseases each year.

Here is an excellent briefing by two ER doctors on the case for ending the lockdown:

Here is the CDC report on provisional deaths in the U.S. from which the above percentages were derived:

while i go along with "life is a risk" because it is, to compare a highly contagious disease to cancer? well billions has been poured into cancer research and will continue to be. accidents? how does this really compare with something you're simply trying to contain?

The common cold is contagious too so is the flu so using your method we stay locked down forever to better mankind.

Many communicable situations do not have a vaccine

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

the rest are just bulletpoints that makes people go WOW THAT'S A LOT but are meaningless to the point.

look, i want this shit over too. i would much rather go out and face life than shit at home crying BOOGIE MAN STAY AWAY; but the comparisons that don't help the cause, i'm going to say.

The common cold is not likely to kill you unless you are otherwise ill or are already an old fart on life support in a nursing home

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Many communicable situations do not have a vaccine

Correct and yet we do not shut down the world because 200,000 die for any other communicable disease, do we.

Look the fact is that when this is over and it never really will be as this virus will live forever we will understand that a mistake was made as we can not shut down the country for every virus.

There will never be a vaccine that works reliably either just as there is no vaccine for a cold or SARS both caused by the same virus. So all talk about a vaccine is BS, though they will likely develop one that will render all sterile or that will cause autism in the children of those who get it

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Who even said it was “a leading cause of death”? That’s just a fake quote you pulled out of your ass to reaffirm your point.

Here are some key takeaways to how the virus compares to other causes of death however:

1) COVID-19 has only been killing people since early February so comparing yearly numbers of other causes really doesn’t make any sense.

2) The actual death count is estimated to be 50% higher than the reported number of deaths.

3) Hospitals are overwhelmed regardless of the kill rate of the virus. Part of the reason the death rate is as low as it is because people’s lives are saved at hospitals. To keep these institutions running, mitigating the spread is crucial.

After the initial wave of COVID is waning and knowing that most people have mild cases anyway, opening up businesses seems like the right move, but still wearing masks and using social distancing. That should keep the rate of spread to a low and manageable level as we build herd immunity. That also gets our economy back up and running, which we desperately need.

Again, given the extremely small size of a covid 19 virus cell, masks do nothing but give a false sense of security and provide a little eyewash. They are in effect as useless as tits on a boar hog.

The masks would prevent you from giving COVID -19 to me.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Who even said it was “a leading cause of death”? That’s just a fake quote you pulled out of your ass to reaffirm your point.

Here are some key takeaways to how the virus compares to other causes of death however:

1) COVID-19 has only been killing people since early February so comparing yearly numbers of other causes really doesn’t make any sense.

2) The actual death count is estimated to be 50% higher than the reported number of deaths.

3) Hospitals are overwhelmed regardless of the kill rate of the virus. Part of the reason the death rate is as low as it is because people’s lives are saved at hospitals. To keep these institutions running, mitigating the spread is crucial.

Why was the USA not put on lockdown in 2018 when 80000 Americans died of the flu?

After the initial wave of COVID is waning and knowing that most people have mild cases anyway, opening up businesses seems like the right move, but still wearing masks and using social distancing. That should keep the rate of spread to a low and manageable level as we build herd immunity. That also gets our economy back up and running, which we desperately need.

Again, given the extremely small size of a covid 19 virus cell, masks do nothing but give a false sense of security and provide a little eyewash. They are in effect as useless as tits on a boar hog.

The masks would prevent you from giving COVID -19 to me.
You mean only the n95 or better mask that even some hospital workers can not get.

No other mask is effective, says the eggheaded surgeon general

But whatever you hear on TV is all true

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Why was the USA not put on lockdown in 2018 when 80000 Americans died of the flu?

Because there was no run wild agenda to oust Trump and mess with the election

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Because there was no run wild agenda to oust Trump and mess with the election

Bingo.........................

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

The common cold is not likely to kill you unless you are otherwise ill or are already an old fart on life support in a nursing home

And in that case an unexpected bowel movement can do you in.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

And in that case an unexpected bowel movement can do you in.

I can attest that an old person can in fact die while having a strained bowel movement that causes a hemorrhoid tear causing blood loss.

But if we locked down the world, identified all old people and put them all on laxatives we could stop this

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

The death rate is much lower for the flu and those 80,000 deaths happened in the course of a year - not 3 months. Moreover, hospitalizations for the COVID is significantly longer and more life threatening which is a strain on resources.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

The death rate is much lower for the flu and those 80,000 deaths happened in the course of a year - not 3 months. Moreover, hospitalizations for the COVID is significantly longer and more life threatening which is a strain on resources.

The death rate for covid19 is not known but if the 90 percent of all that caught this disease and had little or no symptoms like me and my entire family are counted the death rate for covid19 is actually far less for this disease than the flu because it is far more contagious.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Flu does not occur over a 12 month period

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Very contagious is Covid bu also
very unlethal. Almost all of us have likely already experienced it as unknown to us or very mild. We’ve actually already passed the point that quarantine is necessary or effective

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

very unlethal. Almost all of us have likely already experienced it as unknown to us or very mild. We’ve actually already passed the point that quarantine is necessary or effective

Granted it isn’t over a 12 month period, but the death rate is still lower and as of now the death count for COVID is still rising rapidly.

25-34 ------- 1.58%
35-44 ------- 2.70%
45-54 ------- 3.83%
55-64 ------- 3.77%
65-74 ------- 4.17%
75-84 ------- 4.19%
85+ --------- 3.54%

169,000 –-- accidents
590,000 --- cancer

Granted it isn’t over a 12 month period, but the death rate is still lower and as of now the death count for COVID is still rising rapidly.

Actually the death count as expressed as a percent is dropping by the hour as more people are tested who had the disease that were not made sick at all are found

Forum List

Back