Insight from watching science / nature documentries.

I was just watching a particularly good nature / science documentary and something occurred to me.

We generally classify animals in nature as either Prey or Predator. Most species find themselves in one of either category. Rarely, like in the case of the Giraffe, they will live life as peaceful herbivores but are almost completely free from predatory species... no predator will mess with them as they are just too weird.

Predator and Prey have something in common, they both have to work for their survival. A Predator must be fast, agile, and strong to catch his prey, The Prey must be constantly on the move to graze and constantly vigilant to avoid become a meal for the Predator.

But, there is a third category of animal on the planet, the domesticated animal. They do not have to work for their survival. Their every need it catered to and they live the most work-free lives in the animal kingdom. However, they price they pay that freedom from having to work to survive is a loss of all freedoms. They eat when they are told to eat, they sleep in the same pattern as their master. They stay where they are put and are punished if they attempt to roam. Their deaths are not on their own terms but, at the whim or need of their master.

In human kind, there are those human Predators that prey on the more complacent among us, the Prey. But, a fast growing segment of our population are the domesticated humans. Domesticated humans have their needs provided for and are complacent to submit to all the lack of freedom and lack of initiative that requires. They do not expend energy or resources to provide for their own survival. They are cared for, perhaps not in luxury, but their survival, at least in the short term, is guaranteed. They tend to live less interesting lives than their non-domesticated counterparts, but seem very happy to do so.
The ocean is nature, so are volcanoes and the sky. Anything natural is part of nature

Thank you Capt Obvious. But the OP was talking about animals.
He was writing, not talking about nature which constitutes everything on the Earth not man made. See nature includes the entirety of all animals habitat as well as the animal. So you been shooting with your kids yet?

He simply said he was watching a good nature/science documentary. Then he started talking/writing/posting (or whatever) about animals. Not about nature in general. About animals. Other than mentioning "nature" once, as a description of a type of documentary.

Don't worry about my kids, junior. Stick with the topic.
LOL did you figure out what you can do with your vaccine that I can not do yet?

Other than enjoy the fumes in Atlanta I mean

Is Atlanta concrete natural?

Apparently you have trouble grasping the concept of staying on topic.
Not at all volcanoes are 100 percent natural and all the nature in the Hawaiian islands are based on volcanic action. Or do you know of a man made volcano

And if this were a thread about the power in nature, a comment about volcanoes would be on topic.

But the topic is about animals. He started thinking about it because he was watching a documentary.
Actually the topic is and I quote

I have seen several nature documentaries on the Hawaiian islands that were based on volcanism and how life colonized the dead lava. So without the volcano there would be no terrestrial nature in Hawaii.

What have you added to this topic by the way?

As a moderator, I often only post in a thread to get it back on topic.

As far as the topic goes, I would suggest that the categories described in the OP are accurate, as far as they go. But it left out parasites (among other categories).

I was just watching a particularly good nature / science documentary and something occurred to me.

We generally classify animals in nature as either Prey or Predator. Most species find themselves in one of either category. Rarely, like in the case of the Giraffe, they will live life as peaceful herbivores but are almost completely free from predatory species... no predator will mess with them as they are just too weird.

Predator and Prey have something in common, they both have to work for their survival. A Predator must be fast, agile, and strong to catch his prey, The Prey must be constantly on the move to graze and constantly vigilant to avoid become a meal for the Predator.

But, there is a third category of animal on the planet, the domesticated animal. They do not have to work for their survival. Their every need it catered to and they live the most work-free lives in the animal kingdom. However, they price they pay that freedom from having to work to survive is a loss of all freedoms. They eat when they are told to eat, they sleep in the same pattern as their master. They stay where they are put and are punished if they attempt to roam. Their deaths are not on their own terms but, at the whim or need of their master.

In human kind, there are those human Predators that prey on the more complacent among us, the Prey. But, a fast growing segment of our population are the domesticated humans. Domesticated humans have their needs provided for and are complacent to submit to all the lack of freedom and lack of initiative that requires. They do not expend energy or resources to provide for their own survival. They are cared for, perhaps not in luxury, but their survival, at least in the short term, is guaranteed. They tend to live less interesting lives than their non-domesticated counterparts, but seem very happy to do so.
The ocean is nature, so are volcanoes and the sky. Anything natural is part of nature

He was writing, not talking about nature which constitutes everything on the Earth not man made. See nature includes the entirety of all animals habitat as well as the animal. So you been shooting with your kids yet?

He simply said he was watching a good nature/science documentary. Then he started talking/writing/posting (or whatever) about animals. Not about nature in general. About animals. Other than mentioning "nature" once, as a description of a type of documentary.

Not at all volcanoes are 100 percent natural and all the nature in the Hawaiian islands are based on volcanic action. Or do you know of a man made volcano

And if this were a thread about the power in nature, a comment about volcanoes would be on topic.

But the topic is about animals. He started thinking about it because he was watching a documentary.

I have seen several nature documentaries on the Hawaiian islands that were based on volcanism and how life colonized the dead lava. So without the volcano there would be no terrestrial nature in Hawaii.

As far as the topic goes, I would suggest that the categories described in the OP are accurate, as far as they go. But it left out parasites (among other categories).
Can I get a job as moderator? What is the pay?

It is not a paid position.

Only slaves work for no pay

I don't work here. I volunteer to help keep the board running smoothly and to see to it the rules (few though they may be) are followed. I am giving back to a community I have been a part of for years.

Your claim that only slaves work for no pay is ridiculous and inaccurate.

Slaves have no choice. Volunteers choose what they do.

Is someone who works serving food in a soup kitchen a slave? Is someone who builds houses for Habitat for Humanity a slave?

Not all work has a paycheck as a reward. But it is a far cry from slavery.

Is someone who works serving food in a soup kitchen a slave? Is someone who builds houses for Habitat for Humanity a slave?

Actually this site earns millions in ad revenue and you get nothing. Seriously that was referred too as slavery

Also, moderators are picked from posters who have been here for a good while. That way their temperament and judgement can be seen.

Actually this site earns millions in ad revenue and you get nothing. Seriously that was referred too as slavery

No, it was not. A slave has no choice. I have a choice. That, not money, is basis of slavery. You could pay a slave, and he would still be a slave. He is owned.

No, it was not. A slave has no choice. I have a choice. That, not money, is basis of slavery. You could pay a slave, and he would still be a slave. He is owned.
When the slaves were freed some of them stayed on. You are like one of them, to confused to make a coherent decision

When the slaves were freed some of them stayed on. You are like one of them, to confused to make a coherent decision

So, according to you a slave is "allowed" to make a 6 figure salary, own land, own a home

I am not confused at all.

Are slaves allowed to make a 6 figure salary?
Are slaves allowed to own property or a house?
Are slaves allowed to travel as they wish?
Are slaves allowed to relocate whenever they want?
Are slaves allowed to marry who they choose?

You need to learn what the term "slave" means.

Forum List

Back