In Regards to the PGA vs. LIV Tour issue

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
I simply cannot stand the PGA's hilarious attempt to run a PR campaign to discredit the LIV tour because it happens to be run by the Saudis.

Oh wait, does the PGA tour still run hand-in-hand with Nike? How are Nike's human rights record holding up?

Selective outrage. The PGA tour is spoiled, it's used to being the monopoly in Pro Golf. So now that an upstart is here, they're trying to smear them with a petty PR campaign. It's hilarious, if it wasn't so effective on so many supposedly educated sports journalists.

Hey PGA, take your best 3 players, meet the best 3 LIV tour players at the end of the year, and let's have a showdown.

I see a lot of parallels between this conflict and the battle between the NFL and the old AFL. The AFL held a player draft, drafting many of the same players as the NFL, then landed some of them with what were perceived at the times as extraordinary salaries. Ultimately, they collected enough good players to make their top teams competitive, while the NFL continued to sneer and deny it.

Until Joe Namath led the Jets to a Super Bowl win over the Balto-Colts, and the NFL was forced to negotiate a merger-of-equals. The rest is history.

The Saudi's know that they will have to attract enough of the top players in the world to induce golf fans to treat them as legitimate. It will take a few years and a lot of money.

Meanwhile, that Tiger fellow led a secret meeting among some of the most prominent PGA players last week and word is that they are contemplating a shortened-but-lucrative Tour of their own, with a limited number of competitors (60). Does that sound familiar?

As a golf fan, one would want the best players in the world playing against one another, or alternatively, two parallel tours with a final championship that sets the best of one against the best of the other.

But at this point, who gives a shit? Not me.

I see a lot of parallels between this conflict and the battle between the NFL and the old AFL. The AFL held a player draft, drafting many of the same players as the NFL, then landed some of them with what were perceived at the times as extraordinary salaries. Ultimately, they collected enough good players to make their top teams competitive, while the NFL continued to sneer and deny it.

Until Joe Namath led the Jets to a Super Bowl win over the Balto-Colts, and the NFL was forced to negotiate a merger-of-equals. The rest is history.

The Saudi's know that they will have to attract enough of the top players in the world to induce golf fans to treat them as legitimate. It will take a few years and a lot of money.

Meanwhile, that Tiger fellow led a secret meeting among some of the most prominent PGA players last week and word is that they are contemplating a shortened-but-lucrative Tour of their own, with a limited number of competitors (60). Does that sound familiar?

As a golf fan, one would want the best players in the world playing against one another, or alternatively, two parallel tours with a final championship that sets the best of one against the best of the other.

But at this point, who gives a shit? Not me.
Good analysis, but I do give a shit, because nothing irks me in sports more than pompous hypocrites, and boy is the PGA that.

Funny how they never turned down and spoke against the Nike sponsorship.

I rate them #3 on the list of most immature, petty sports institutions...

1. Baseball HOF journalist voters
2. the NCAA
3. The PGA

I think it's more complicated than that. The people running the PGA are pompous dorks to be sure. But then there are the century old traditions that go along with the PGA, especially the major tournaments. Is it fair to allow top pros who made their names and careers on the PGA tour to chase the petro dollars over on the LIV tour and then come back to play in the majors? What about the Ryder Cup? It's messy and kind of sad in my opinion to see such a rift between the players.

I think it's more complicated than that. The people running the PGA are pompous dorks to be sure. But then there are the century old traditions that go along with the PGA, especially the major tournaments. Is it fair to allow top pros who made their names and careers on the PGA tour to chase the petro dollars over on the LIV tour and then come back to play in the majors? What about the Ryder Cup? It's messy and kind of sad in my opinion to see such a rift between the players.
I could see that side, but I don't think it outweighs the rights of players to make a decision on where they make their money to play golf. If the PGA doesn't like losing good players, pay more.

Meanwhile, why do you say they're chasing the "petro dollars".. do you say the PGA players are chasing the "child labor money"?

Forum List

Back