If i smoked a pork butt on Sunday

My wife loves mushrooms. I think I will grill her some soon. Thought about stuffing them with boudain sausage. Yes or no?

And a big bowl of sauteed mushrooms on the side.
It amazes me how people indulge in fungus. Is your palette that frugal?

3/4 of the delicacies of the world came about when people were starving and had to eat shit that NO HUMAN SHOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING.

When you're poor, you get creative.

I remember when our family seasonally gathered different foods every year. It's almost a lost art now...I remember going into the woods with the entire family to hunt mushrooms, I remember going to the beach to gather smelt by the garbage can full, and going to the estuary as a family to dig clams by the gross, picking blackberries and huckleberries every single year, hunting, fishing, crabbing all year round. People do these things for fun but we did it because if we didn't, our diet was seriously limited.

When you've been eating beans and fry bread for about 3 weeks, mushrooms sound pretty good.
Goose grass greens? Fiddleheads?
TN would die. LOL

My granny used to pick the first dandelions of the spring and make a dish out of them..my mom made it once. I think they kind of battered and fried them, if I recall.

And I've gathered Kowash with the tribe ;) when the kids were little, for the root feast in the spring.

George Washington Carver, the guy that basically re-invented agriculture says weeds are just flowers in the wrong spot. He didn't say shit about fungus

3/4 of the delicacies of the world came about when people were starving and had to eat shit that NO HUMAN SHOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING.

I remember when our family seasonally gathered different foods every year. It's almost a lost art now...I remember going into the woods with the entire family to hunt mushrooms, I remember going to the beach to gather smelt by the garbage can full, and going to the estuary as a family to dig clams by the gross, picking blackberries and huckleberries every single year, hunting, fishing, crabbing all year round. People do these things for fun but we did it because if we didn't, our diet was seriously limited.

When you've been eating beans and fry bread for about 3 weeks, mushrooms sound pretty good.
TN would die. LOL

What the hell are those?
The fiddleheads were easy--you've never had them? They're just the new emerging shoots of ferns. As for the goose grass greens, that's what we used to call them, and they got picked down on the marsh by the tidal inlet where the family had a goose blind--which is probably why they were called goose grass. We had 'em as a cooked green like spinach, except it was a long grass not a broad leaf. When I tried to look them up, though, I was getting hits on a lawn weed, and that's not it. Maybe samphire. The lady who used to pick them died, so maybe it's a lost art.
I'm not nuts about fiddleheads--to me they have a funky flavor a little like bitter cabbage. The texture is real interesting though--like curled asparagus stalks not overcooked, is how I'd describe them. Flavor is NOT asparagus, though.
Real Food Right Now and How to Cook It: Fiddleheads

George Washington Carver, the guy that basically re-invented agriculture says weeds are just flowers in the wrong spot. He didn't say shit about fungus
He's right about weeds lol.

I've forgotten almost everything I ever knew about picking mushrooms. We picked chantrelles, and then there were some white ones we picked, and puffballs (before they puff) and morels. But now I'm older, what used to be second nature to me (recognizing the edible from the non edible and knowing where to look) is gone. I used to be able to pick as I strolled along but I don't have that skill anymore, I'd kill someone. Probably me!

I personally am not a fan of morels but my brothers and my ex sister in law made a crapload of money picking them here and there when they were young. Mushroom pickers can make bank around here if they know where to go and when. It's dangerous though, they are crazy and territorial...and now they're competing with the illegals who have inserted themselves nicely into that money earning niche.

My sister ate a wild mushroom one day. She started acting weird and sick and mom started freaking out. I dotn remember all the details but 911 was no help. She ended up calling my uncle and he knew exactly what to do. In five minutes she cleared up. If im not mistaken, the solution was to eat cheese.
He said he learned about all kinds of shit like that during the Vietnam war.

I've forgotten almost everything I ever knew about picking mushrooms. We picked chantrelles, and then there were some white ones we picked, and puffballs (before they puff) and morels. But now I'm older, what used to be second nature to me (recognizing the edible from the non edible and knowing where to look) is gone. I used to be able to pick as I strolled along but I don't have that skill anymore, I'd kill someone. Probably me!

I personally am not a fan of morels but my brothers and my ex sister in law made a crapload of money picking them here and there when they were young. Mushroom pickers can make bank around here if they know where to go and when. It's dangerous though, they are crazy and territorial...and now they're competing with the illegals who have inserted themselves nicely into that money earning niche.
I love what he said about weeds. I spent years learning to identify common wildflowers and their medicinal uses. However, when I tried letting some grow in my garden, I learned why people kill them. They will take over in a flash and their miserable spawn will haunt you for years.
Great little plants, though.

I love what he said about weeds. I spent years learning to identify common wildflowers and their medicinal uses. However, when I tried letting some grow in my garden, I learned why people kill them. They will take over in a flash and their miserable spawn will haunt you for years.
Great little plants, though.
He was an amazing man through and through. sickens me he only gets credit for "peanut butter" and he didn't even do that!!!!

TN would die. LOL

What the hell are those?
The fiddleheads were easy--you've never had them? They're just the new emerging shoots of ferns. As for the goose grass greens, that's what we used to call them, and they got picked down on the marsh by the tidal inlet where the family had a goose blind--which is probably why they were called goose grass. We had 'em as a cooked green like spinach, except it was a long grass not a broad leaf. When I tried to look them up, though, I was getting hits on a lawn weed, and that's not it. Maybe samphire. The lady who used to pick them died, so maybe it's a lost art.
I'm not nuts about fiddleheads--to me they have a funky flavor a little like bitter cabbage. The texture is real interesting though--like curled asparagus stalks not overcooked, is how I'd describe them. Flavor is NOT asparagus, though.

The fiddleheads appear to be a northeast thing and the goose grass looks to be in the crabgrass family.
Ortho makes a chemical that will kill it.

TN would die. LOL

What the hell are those?

We have bracken and deer fern here...not many fiddleheads that I'm aware of, I know we didn't eat them.

But we went to the east coast last spring, and they served them at the wedding reception and they were AMAZING. mmmm. I think the secret is to boil and change the water a couple of times, it removes the bitter,which is a toxin (that can give you a belly ache if you get too much). All wild greens have it in varying amounts. Bracken has a pretty high percentage which is probably why we don't eat those. We have enough other stuff to munch on that it doesn't come down to that.

I've dug Kowsh with the tribes for the root feast, too. Did I say that already? That wasn't something my family did, but we were on the coast. I don't think it grows on the coast, or if it does, it's not worth the effort.

My wife loves mushrooms. I think I will grill her some soon. Thought about stuffing them with boudain sausage. Yes or no?
Don't they dry out?
Hell idk it just popped in my head lol. I have never cooked mushrooms. But I have heard of grilled ones.

We primarily slice them and cook them in butter, scattered out in the pan so they brown a little (too crowded and they just get soggy).

They will dry out on the grill, the sausage may help but I would brush or dip them in oil or butter.

Morels we battered and fried.

We ate a lot of morels when my brother was doing his thing, the fridge was full of them.

Don't they dry out?
Hell idk it just popped in my head lol. I have never cooked mushrooms. But I have heard of grilled ones.

We primarily slice them and cook them in butter, scattered out in the pan so they brown a little (too crowded and they just get soggy).

They will dry out on the grill, the sausage may help but I would brush or dip them in oil or butter.

We ate a lot of morels when my brother was doing his thing, the fridge was full of them.
I figured I would toss them in olive oil and melted butter right before grilling.
Fast & hot?

Don't they dry out?

I figured I would toss them in olive oil and melted butter right before grilling.
Fast & hot?
Sounds good to me.

As long as you don't burn them, you almost can't go wrong. If they don't brown, just salt and pepper them and stick them on toast, omg yum.

Me and grills do NOT get along. I'm nervous of gas, and charcoal is my nemesis. When we used to camp, I always built a wood fire. Used to do great steak, baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob (peel back the husks to remove the silks and pull the husks back up (you can close them with a twisty tie or string if you need to), soak them in a bucket of water for half an hour or so and then throw them on the grill over the hot fire--the outer husks scorch, but the flavor is so awesome that boiled corn will never seem the same again. I just threw the potatoes in the coals, double wrapped in foil.
Starting the fire for the morning coffee was a pain in the ass on foggy mornings, though.

Memphis in May Award Winner chiming in late here. IF I were faced with this problem: I would do the entire butt to 80% done. Wrap in heavy foil and put in a plastic bag where you can eliminate most of the air. Put in the fridge until you're event. Keep in the foil (remove from plastic bag) and finish it out in the oven. DO NOT shred before! Shredding or pulling will begin the protein breakdown in the meat and cause it to lose flavor and become dry, especially if you refrigerate after. Trying to avoid the dryness by soaking it in sauce ruins it as well. In my house, the sauce goes on when it hits the plate.

Me and grills do NOT get along. I'm nervous of gas, and charcoal is my nemesis. When we used to camp, I always built a wood fire. Used to do great steak, baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob (peel back the husks to remove the silks and pull the husks back up (you can close them with a twisty tie or string if you need to), soak them in a bucket of water for half an hour or so and then throw them on the grill over the hot fire--the outer husks scorch, but the flavor is so awesome that boiled corn will never seem the same again. I just threw the potatoes in the coals, double wrapped in foil.
Starting the fire for the morning coffee was a pain in the ass on foggy mornings, though.
+1 on the corn. Only way to do it

Forum List

Back