Idaho State Police to transition away from Dodge Chargers after car maker goes electric

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Interesting....the ISP can ride what they like..I'm curious about an electric Dodge Charger!

Earlier this week, Dodge announced it would no longer be producing gasoline-powered Dodge Chargers after 2023.
It's planning to move the model to electric.
This decision will affect one of the automaker's repeat customers -- Idaho State Police, which currently uses Dodge Chargers as one of its main patrol vehicles. It has 290 marked vehicles across the state in addition to 160 unmarked units from other departments.
A spokesperson for ISP told CBS2 that it's currently looking for an alternative vehicle after Dodge made the announcement.
"We continue looking at other options -- any new order will be for vehicles other than Dodge Chargers," the spokesperson said. ISP has not ordered any additional Chargers since before last year. It is waiting, however, for 19 Ford Explorers and five pickups that are on backorder.

ISP says it's currently budgeted to replace 45 patrol vehicles for FY 2023 and 44 for FY 2024.

Full technical details have not been released, but Dodge said the all-wheel-drive concept is equipped with the top of the line Banshee powertrain, which will exceed the current Hellcat V8's 808 hp rating and make it quicker and faster than any of the vehicles that have been powered by that supercharged engine.

Interesting....the ISP can ride what they like..I'm curious about an electric Dodge Charger!

Earlier this week, Dodge announced it would no longer be producing gasoline-powered Dodge Chargers after 2023.
It's planning to move the model to electric.
This decision will affect one of the automaker's repeat customers -- Idaho State Police, which currently uses Dodge Chargers as one of its main patrol vehicles. It has 290 marked vehicles across the state in addition to 160 unmarked units from other departments.
A spokesperson for ISP told CBS2 that it's currently looking for an alternative vehicle after Dodge made the announcement.
"We continue looking at other options -- any new order will be for vehicles other than Dodge Chargers," the spokesperson said. ISP has not ordered any additional Chargers since before last year. It is waiting, however, for 19 Ford Explorers and five pickups that are on backorder.

ISP says it's currently budgeted to replace 45 patrol vehicles for FY 2023 and 44 for FY 2024.

Full technical details have not been released, but Dodge said the all-wheel-drive concept is equipped with the top of the line Banshee powertrain, which will exceed the current Hellcat V8's 808 hp rating and make it quicker and faster than any of the vehicles that have been powered by that supercharged engine.

Wow, nothing like blending two stories into one. Many police departments have been shifting to Explorers and Pickups for the last couple of years. And I haven't heard of too many cops driving around with a hellcat. Most are driving the RT version. In various tests done by the cop shops, the RT Chargers are tied with the Explorers in almost all categories except for cargo space. Guess what, the Explorer only has to tie to win.

I was very disappointed when Ford discontinued the Panther platform (Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquise/Lincoln Town Car) without coming out with any suitable successor thereto. For a very long time, Ford pretty much owned the police car market with that platform. A large part of the taxi market, as well. There is nothing on the market, now, that can take its place.

Why decide to drop the brand before seeing the specs of whatever replaces the Charger? Seems short-sighted to me.

Also, I imagine that Idaho also has its share of tree huggers who will lobby the state legislature to demand EV's. End of 2023 model year is still quite a way off.

It's pretty simple to see that electric vehicles aren't suitable for police cars.

Police vehicles (particularly patrol vehicles) are continuously on the road nearly 24 hours a day.

If a certain number of police vehicles were sidelined every day for charging, you would need at least that many extra vehicles to take up the slack.

Makes sense. Who wants a car to die when they gun it? Especially the popo

It's pretty simple to see that electric vehicles aren't suitable for police cars.

Police vehicles (particularly patrol vehicles) are continuously on the road nearly 24 hours a day.

If a certain number of police vehicles were sidelined every day for charging, you would need at least that many extra vehicles to take up the slack.

The ONLY category that the RT wins in is top end and then it's only by 3 mph over the Cop Shop Explorer. And the Explorer does it using less fuel. I drive a Hemi, myself and really won't trade it for the Explorer but I can see why the Explorer would make a better cop vehicle. l

The EV shouldn't even be in this equation. And anyone trying to make into it is just trying to bull crap everyone and bad mouth EVs. EVs have their place just like 4 door sedans and SUVs have theirs.

Ford is eliminating thousands of jobs in deep blue Michigan. I tell you now. The electric vehicles green decrees will make China a major player in the automobile game. China is also getting improved in passenger jets. Boeing and Airbus better take notice.

Cops are emotional, in addition to being cowards when the shit hits the fan.

What they prolly don't realize is that an electric Charger would be badass, and so fast from 0-60. Haven't any of these guys driven a Tesla? Do they actually believe that Dodge would come out with a Charger that would embarrass them? Such virtue signaling nonsense.

Ford is eliminating thousands of jobs in deep blue Michigan. I tell you now. The electric vehicles green decrees will make China a major player in the automobile game. China is also getting improved in passenger jets. Boeing and Airbus better take notice.
Then that's on your beloved Capitalism to win the day, like it has with every other technological progress. You can't cry that everyone else in the world, AND your competitors, won't stand still so that you can keep making money off of the shithole factories you built 70 years ago. There are plenty of sources for renewable power.

Why decide to drop the brand before seeing the specs of whatever replaces the Charger? Seems short-sighted to me.

Also, I imagine that Idaho also has its share of tree huggers who will lobby the state legislature to demand EV's. End of 2023 model year is still quite a way off.
It's virtue-signaling.

I was very disappointed when Ford discontinued the Panther platform (Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquise/Lincoln Town Car) without coming out with any suitable successor thereto. For a very long time, Ford pretty much owned the police car market with that platform. A large part of the taxi market, as well. There is nothing on the market, now, that can take its place.
Sources at LAPD tell me that Ford still makes the Crown Victoria but only for sale at fleet numbers and only to law enforcement.

Sources at LAPD tell me that Ford still makes the Crown Victoria but only for sale at fleet numbers and only to law enforcement.

I do not believe that is correct.

For did keep the “Police Interceptor” name, and apply it to a few other vehicles specialized for police use, otherwise unrelated to the Panther platform. I believe the only current Police Interceptor is a version of the Explorer.

I do not believe that is correct.

For did keep the “Police Interceptor” name, and apply it to a few other vehicles specialized for police use, otherwise unrelated to the Panther platform. I believe the only current Police Interceptor is a version of the Explorer.
Whichever it's called. The Los Angeles Police isn't going EV any time soon.

Forum List

Back