I thought so, didn't you?

Skeptik

Astute observer
Oct 19, 2008
The late great Bear Flag Republic
Democrats and Republicans Both Adept at Ignoring Facts, Study Finds

Researchers asked staunch party members from both sides to evaluate information that threatened their preferred candidate prior to the 2004 Presidential election. The subjects' brains were monitored while they pondered.

The results were announced today.

"We did not see any increased activation of the parts of the brain normally engaged during reasoning," said Drew Westen, director of clinical psychology at Emory University. "What we saw instead was a network of emotion circuits lighting up, including circuits hypothesized to be involved in regulating emotion, and circuits known to be involved in resolving conflicts."

I think we knew that already, but isn't it nice to have our suspicions confirmed?

Democrats and Republicans Both Adept at Ignoring Facts, Study Finds

Researchers asked staunch party members from both sides to evaluate information that threatened their preferred candidate prior to the 2004 Presidential election. The subjects' brains were monitored while they pondered.

The results were announced today.

"We did not see any increased activation of the parts of the brain normally engaged during reasoning," said Drew Westen, director of clinical psychology at Emory University. "What we saw instead was a network of emotion circuits lighting up, including circuits hypothesized to be involved in regulating emotion, and circuits known to be involved in resolving conflicts."

I think we knew that already, but isn't it nice to have our suspicions confirmed?

Forget dems and repubs, human beings in general, and its so fucking maddening to be surrounded by such irrational people. Granted, emotions can get the best of me and I can become irrational myself, but usually realize very quickly afterwards that I was being stupid and irrational. many people don't. Why I hate human beings in general and what leads to the entire human history full of violence and horrible deeds

We have really big problem solving brains guided by emotional components which often, despite our best efforts, leave us with rational ability of a freaking lizard.

So if we believe in something strongly enough, it is still very easy for those emotive components of our brains to override our frontal cortexes.

Forum List

Back