I like DeSantis, and I don’t Like Disney. But, I have to say it . . .

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
DeSantis should not be using the power of his office to go after Disney for their wokeness.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Disney CEO Bob Iger on Monday said any retaliatory actions by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature against the company that threaten jobs or expansion at its Florida resort is not only “anti-business ... but anti-Florida.”

Answering a question during an online shareholders’ meeting, Iger said that the Republican governor and lawmakers appeared to be retaliating against the company for exercising its constitutional rights. He referred to the incident last year when Disney criticized Florida’s law dubbed by critics “Don’t Say Gay” while Bob Chapek was helming the company at the time. The measure bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as well as lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

As far as I know, the government of Florida did not grant special privileges to Disney so that they could always spread a healthy and wholesome message of conservative values. They gave them privileges because they thought Disney World (or Disneyland, whichever is in Florida) would be draw to tourists, a provider of jobs, and other financial benefits.

No matter how much I agree with DeSantis views on protecting the rights of families and children, I don’t agree with him using the power of the state for to punish those who disagree with those views.

Maybe granting those privileges was a bad idea in the first place. Maybe it started off good, but now is no longer favorable to the people of Florida. Those are perfectly legit reasons to end them. But if Florida came out in favor of DeSantis ideas, I have to think that he would let them keep those privileges no matter how beneficial or non-beneficial to Floridians.

Political favors for supporters, and political revenge on detractors? Dems do that. We should not.

DeSantis should not be using the power of his office to go after Disney for their wokeness.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Disney CEO Bob Iger on Monday said any retaliatory actions by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature against the company that threaten jobs or expansion at its Florida resort is not only “anti-business ... but anti-Florida.”

Answering a question during an online shareholders’ meeting, Iger said that the Republican governor and lawmakers appeared to be retaliating against the company for exercising its constitutional rights. He referred to the incident last year when Disney criticized Florida’s law dubbed by critics “Don’t Say Gay” while Bob Chapek was helming the company at the time. The measure bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as well as lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

As far as I know, the government of Florida did not grant special privileges to Disney so that they could always spread a healthy and wholesome message of conservative values. They gave them privileges because they thought Disney World (or Disneyland, whichever is in Florida) would be draw to tourists, a provider of jobs, and other financial benefits.

No matter how much I agree with DeSantis views on protecting the rights of families and children, I don’t agree with him using the power of the state for to punish those who disagree with those views.

Maybe granting those privileges was a bad idea in the first place. Maybe it started off good, but now is no longer favorable to the people of Florida. Those are perfectly legit reasons to end them. But if Florida came out in favor of DeSantis ideas, I have to think that he would let them keep those privileges no matter how beneficial or non-beneficial to Floridians.

Political favors for supporters, and political revenge on detractors? Dems do that. We should not.
Step into the arena you are going to get punched. Maybe Disney should have stayed out of politics

Disney has a legal army of thousands of the best corporate lawyers this country has ever produced. This has been so since the time they decided they wanted to be more than just a producer of kids cartoons. I don't think DeSantis still understands the dark ruthlessness of this enemy he has made. They will ruin him without breaking a sweat.

Disney got political. Plus they were influencing woke and trannie teachers. You go jacking with the citizens and the government, there's going to be consequences.

Disney has a legal army of thousands of the best corporate lawyers this country has ever produced. This has been so since the time they decided they wanted to be more than just a producer of kids cartoons. I don't think DeSantis still understands the dark ruthlessness of this enemy he has made. They will ruin him without breaking a sweat.

DeSantis can handle Disney because he's got the support of the people in FL. Hell, he's got the support of a LOT of Americans who didn't like what Disney has been doing.

Best way to not get shit is to not start shit.

Burbank California values are not Florida values.

Disney may think they can get away with their woke shit but DeSantis extracted a price and that is a good thing.

DeSantis can handle Disney because he's got the support of the people in FL. Hell, he's got the support of a LOT of Americans who didn't like what Disney has been doing.
Fucking with tourism is even less popular here than you might think but that's the least of his worries. He's decided to fight this personal grudge in court where he is at a distinct disadvantage for several reasons. It seems he is terrible at picking his battles. I cannot stress enough just how insanely formidable Disney is in a legal battle. DeSantis does not have a chance in hell.

I don't completely disagree with you... You make good points... but people put their good money and their hard work into taking their kids to a Disney park... and Disney should respect them for it and not cater to some radical group of blackmailers....
They can do it but it should be at a cost....

Fucking with tourism is even less popular here than you might think but that's the least of his worries. He's decided to fight this personal grudge in court where he is at a distinct disadvantage for several reasons. It seems he is terrible at picking his battles. I cannot stress enough just how insanely formidable Disney is in a legal battle. DeSantis does not have a chance in hell.
Disney is the one fucking with their tourism. DeSantis isn’t doing anything to it. Less people are giving Disney money over stupid shit like Shehulk, black mermaids and shit than would ever possibly give two fucks if Disney runs their own defacto government or not.

I don't completely disagree with you... You make good points... but people put their good money and their hard work into taking their kids to a Disney park... and Disney should respect them for it and not cater to some radical group of blackmailers....
The cost is a measurable amount of business loss and court expenses. Since this entire thing is provably a political stunt by DeSantis as governor of the state of Florida the state will pay for this. My state will pay a heavy price just so DeSantis can audition for president.

Blackmailers?
Disney spoke out in support of its employees and customers in opposition to Rhonda's "don't say gay"
Rhonda responded by using the power of government to punish Disney for exercising its 1st Amendment rights.
Unless Disney complies Rhonda is threatening to impose tolls on the Disney roads and other actions designed to punish Disney tourists.

Blackmail: the act of forcing a person to do or pay something especially by a threat to reveal a secret.

1. Within the definition I believe Rhonda is the blackmailer

and

2. What kind of crap is this coming from a "conservative" much less a Republican?

Does the GOP have any actual positions beyond "own the libs?"

Blackmailers?
Disney spoke out in support of its employees and customers in opposition to Rhonda's "don't say gay"
Rhonda responded by using the power of government to punish Disney for exercising its 1st Amendment rights.
Unless Disney complies Rhonda is threatening to impose tolls on the Disney roads and other actions designed to punish Disney tourists.

Blackmail: the act of forcing a person to do or pay something especially by a threat to reveal a secret.

1. Within the definition I believe Rhonda is the blackmailer

and

2. What kind of crap is this coming from a "conservative" much less a Republican?

Does the GOP have any actual positions beyond "own the libs?"
Government gotta get their cut, brah.

Name one town where that isn't so.

The cost is a measurable amount of business loss and court expenses. Since this entire thing is provably a political stunt by DeSantis as governor of the state of Florida the state will pay for this. My state will pay a heavy price just so DeSantis can audition for president.
That audition is over.

1682981588263.jpeg

Forum List

Back