'Humble' worm saliva can break down tough plastic

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Where are the deep pocket entrepreneurs? This is a gold mine if leveraged properly on an industrial scale.

One of the worst forms of plastic pollution may have met its match in the saliva of a humble worm.

Spanish researchers say they've discovered chemicals in the wax worm's drool that break down polyethylene, a tough and durable material.

The researchers say that one hour's exposure to the saliva degrades the plastic as much as years of weathering.
They hope the breakthrough will lead to new natural approaches to deal with plastic pollution.
They've discovered two enzymes in the liquid that can degrade polyethylene at room temperatures and believe it's the first time that such an effective agent has been found in nature.

Where are the deep pocket entrepreneurs? This is a gold mine if leveraged properly on an industrial scale.

One of the worst forms of plastic pollution may have met its match in the saliva of a humble worm.

Spanish researchers say they've discovered chemicals in the wax worm's drool that break down polyethylene, a tough and durable material.

The researchers say that one hour's exposure to the saliva degrades the plastic as much as years of weathering.
They hope the breakthrough will lead to new natural approaches to deal with plastic pollution.
They've discovered two enzymes in the liquid that can degrade polyethylene at room temperatures and believe it's the first time that such an effective agent has been found in nature.
Was not aware that research was being done on worm saliva.

Sounds carbon intensive ... if we're boiling off the oceans might as well burn the garbage and make electricity ... carbon dioxide is carbon dioxide after all ...

You're just opening another can of worms - this is not what is sounds like. These things will take over the world eventually.
I wouldn't have a keyboard to type on. My coffeemaker would be eaten too. Toaster? Gone. The insulation on the wiring in your home? Eaten for breakfast.

All worm food.

Most TV's are made of polyethylene too. They would also be worm food. Gives a new meaning to the term "TV Dinners".

I wouldn't have a keyboard to type on. My coffeemaker would be eaten too. Toaster? Gone. The insulation on the wiring in your home? Eaten for breakfast.

All worm food.

Most TV's are made of polyethylene too. They would also be worm food. Gives a new meaning to the term "TV Dinners".

Logically ... some microbe will evolve to eat plastic ... which would quickly be pervasive in the human environment ... if you believe in that evolution stuff ...

Amazing!

It doesn't look like a worm to me. I can envision a scenario where "green" scientists create an army of these things and they eat everything in sight.

Forum List

Back