How did a group Armed with assault rifles and RPG's defeat the U.S. military?

No. Sorry but you changed the question.

It would have been relatively easy to win militarily, but the politicians tried to win the peace.

Think back to Desert Storm. That was lasted only a few days because we got in there, kicked ass, restored Kuwait to it's former status, and destroyed enough of Saddam's army to prevent him from doing it again. We never even attempted to do to Iraq what was attempted in Afghanistan.

Interesting. I honestly think that is interesting. Because I remember history. Especially that which I lived. And I distinctly recall that we were blamed for not finishing the job in 1991.

I also remember that not finishing the job in Desert Storm was one of the reasons we had to go in for act two.

Now that twenty years have passed and the predictable results are undeniable we hear the story changing. Desert Storm was the smart play after all.

From a disaster that required us to leave troops in Saudi to keep an eye on Saddam who we should have removed. It has evolved into a smart move that saved us.

Remember Bush being blamed for Khobar Towers? If HW had finished the job the troops wouldn’t have been there.

It is interesting the way our perception of history changes.

Interesting. I honestly think that is interesting. Because I remember history. Especially that which I lived. And I distinctly recall that we were blamed for not finishing the job in 1991.

I also remember that not finishing the job in Desert Storm was one of the reasons we had to go in for act two.

Now that twenty years have passed and the predictable results are undeniable we hear the story changing. Desert Storm was the smart play after all.

From a disaster that required us to leave troops in Saudi to keep an eye on Saddam who we should have removed. It has evolved into a smart move that saved us.

Remember Bush being blamed for Khobar Towers? If HW had finished the job the troops wouldn’t have been there.

It is interesting the way our perception of history change

Your memory is failing you apparently. The mission was defined as freeing Kuwait. That was accomplished.

The reason we did NOT destroy Saddam and his army is they provided a buffer for Iran. None of the Gulf states wanted to destroy Iraq and give Iran a much closer foothold on the Sunni Muslim states. The enemy you know is better than a potential enemy that you don't know!

The "troops" you mentioned were Air Force personnel. My son-in-law is Air National Guard and has made numerous deployments to that area of the world. They were not stationed there to protect Saudi Arabia alone.

Oh, BTW, who was President when the Khobar Towers were bombed? I'll give you a hint. Their last name did NOT start with a "B".

How did a group armed with assault rilfes and RPG's defeat the United States military.? The U.S. had tanks, B52's B 1 bombers ,helicopters, and other weapons of war, but were not able to defeat the taliban. How did this happen. Your thoughts.
The thread premise is a lie.

It was the Afghan government and military that was defeated.

It is interesting the way our perception of history changes.
Nonsense.

The 'job' should never have been started to begin with.

Your memory is failing you apparently. The mission was defined as freeing Kuwait. That was accomplished.

The reason we did NOT destroy Saddam and his army is they provided a buffer for Iran. None of the Gulf states wanted to destroy Iraq and give Iran a much closer foothold on the Sunni Muslim states. The enemy you know is better than a potential enemy that you don't know!

The "troops" you mentioned were Air Force personnel. My son-in-law is Air National Guard and has made numerous deployments to that area of the world. They were not stationed there to protect Saudi Arabia alone.

Oh, BTW, who was President when the Khobar Towers were bombed? I'll give you a hint. Their last name did NOT start with a "B".

First. Let me say. I was in Desert Storm with the 82nd Airborne.

Second. I know why we didn’t take Iraq. And I posted a link about what was said by the Hawks. We didn’t finish the job. This refrain was whipped out every time Saddam was in the news or an incident happened in the No Fly by the Hawks.

It was diplomatic bullshit that stopped us according to the same Hawks.

What I thought at the time was smart people built a coalition that would fall apart if we went in. And removal of Saddam would create instability in the region that could well cause more wars and death.

I was happy to go home with all my mates alive and well.

Third. I know that Clinton was President. And again the Hawks of the era said we should have finished Saddam and left the region.

Forum List

Back