Hotel Rwanda... The First Movie You Should See In 2005

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
while on leave, I was able to take in the premiere at George Washington Univ. of a most incredible movie, "Hotel Rwanda", starring Don Cheadle in the true story of a brave, suave 4 star hotel manager in the capital of Rwanda.

When the horrific genocide of 1994 breaks out, killing 800,000 people in just 100 days, his character, Paul Rusesabagina, shows incredible courage and uses his hotel to shelter over 1,200 survivors from slaughter. The film focuses on his struggle to save them and hold out hope against a backdrop of the worst failure of the international community in post ww2 history.

What I appreciated most about this movie was that it made you cry without intentionally pulling at your heartstrings, without coldly manipulating into feeling sympathy for the characters or the situation. It presents the facts, both sides of the horror and those involved, and does so without catering to an ant-American viewpoint which many familiar with Rwanda's tragedy understandably hold.

Cheadle's performance should earn him an Oscar, and the movie itself is very worthy of your six to ten bucks at the box office.

This already reminds me of Schindler's List... I'll see it one day when I'm feeling numb and need an emotional jolt :)

ciplexian said:
This already reminds me of Schindler's List... I'll see it one day when I'm feeling numb and need an emotional jolt :)

i'll be honest and say schindler's list is considerably better, but that is mainly because it was one of those instant masterpieces :)

very good movie right up there with schindlers list

anyone rate it against the killing fields or slavador?

Saw this movie this past weekend. It is easily the best movie we have seen this year. Should win the Academy Award but probably won't. Also Don Cheadle should win the Oscar for best performance by a male actor but probably won't.

Forum List

Back