High School stops publishing Honor roll: Merged with "Can you figure this one out?"

I never played down my intelligence. Be proud of it.

Intelligence isn't really something to be PROUD of, any more than having blonde hair or long toes. It's just something that is or isn't a part of you, but it is a useful tool for the person who possesses it, and for others aligned with that person. Of course, you're right; it isn't something of which one should be ashamed, either.

Intelligence isn't really something to be PROUD of, any more than having blonde hair or long toes. It's just something that is or isn't a part of you, but it is a useful tool for the person who possesses it, and for others aligned with that person. Of course, you're right; it isn't something of which one should be ashamed, either.
I say "be proud" in the sense of be proud that it's apart of who you are. Your intelligence makes you unique in your own way.

I'll tell you what really disgusts me about this. High school is a culture that honors virtues that are of no use in the real world and villifies intelligence. Idiots who can't even spell their own names are the popular ones, getting a free ride via the football team or dropping out as soon as they can and getting labelled a 'rebel' in the meantime. On the other side are the academics, the ones who are actually there to learn. They are teased, picked on, made fun of, beat up, and otherwise treated like dirt simply because they are smart and have a desire to become smarter. I know this because I endured this kind of treatment for years, and one of the few things I had that brightened my day and kept me on the right track was the academic honor roll, which I was always on. Now, there's one less incentive for the smart kids to do well. The idea that the honor roll was hurting people's feelings is a joke. Bullies hurt people's feelings. Honor rolls keep them going. Jackasses.

Thats not really the way it works now. First off, most idiots that cant spell their own name arent popular at all. Most guys on the football team (and other sports, for that matter) usually make moderate to good grades.

Second, intelligence has very little to do with how people like you. I know a guy who got an almost perfect score on the ACT, has straight A+'s, and is in band. He is short, scrawny and middle eastern (actually I think Indian). Yet, no one has anything bad to say about him, because he doesnt cram his intelligence in other peoples faces. In fact he's very modest. Things would be otherwise if he went around thinking he was better than everyone else.

Yet there are pieces of wood that everyone hates because they ae just plain assholes, in which case they deserve to be treated exactly how they treat others. I've been to two different high schools in different areas of the US, and it worked basically the same way. It's not the 80's anymore, my friend :).

Yet there are pieces of wood that everyone hates because they ae just plain assholes, in which case they deserve to be treated exactly how they treat others.

Ha! I have never heard the term "pieces of wood". In law school, I called the few who were like that "brains on a stick". Zero personality or warmth, or interest in any human who couldn't give them a grade.

Forum List

Back