HHS Sec Azar: Realistic to have COVID19 Vaccine This Fall

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Wow, tens of millions of doses by end of year, and hundreds of millions by beginning of next year, sounds like vaccines being distributed by the election.

Wednesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar discussed a coronavirus vaccine, saying it is “realistic” to have one in the fall and millions of doses available for distribution by the end of 2020.
Azar on Fox News Channel’s “America’s Newsroom” praised President Donald Trump’s leadership in developing a vaccine, saying the United States has made “the most historic advances in the development of vaccines we have ever seen in human history.” He added that is is “very credible” to expect tens of millions of doses of a vaccine by the end of the year and hundreds of millions at the beginning of next year.
“Well, let me talk about vaccine, because this has just been the last two weeks. We have seen, under President Trump’s leadership, the most historic advances in the development of vaccines we have ever seen in human history,” Azar outlined. “The United States now has six vaccines that we have placed major investments in. Four of them have already reported out positive phase one clinical trial results. And two of them are already in the advanced final phase three studies. Others will advance there soon. It’s really just President Trump has marshaled the whole of the U.S. government and our biopharmaceutical industry. It’s incredible.”

He can have mine.

No way can they ascertain the safety or long-lasting efficacy this quickly. No wonder the vaccine makers need protection from being sued.
It will have gone through stage three clinical trials.

It will have been tested to a ridiculous safety factor.

Is this the Oxford one?
Azar is talking about abou8t half a dozen vaccines in or nearly end stage three clinical trials, and likely includes the Oxford vaccine as well, though it is a brit medicine.

I guess all previous vaccine development and test programs were just dicking around for years wasting everyone's time and money.
the horrible trade off with medical drug testing is that, yes, some die waiting for the effective cure to be released, but then again, we dont have a lot of people suffering from the side effects.

I remember reading some head of the FDA bragging about how this drug that finally got through all the testing for seven years will save like 400k lives each year.

The first thought that went through my head was, so, 2.8 million died waiting for the testing to complete?

The question is, where is the Golden Mean between the trade off of lives saved from a medical drug and lives lost due to it.

I wouldnt want that job.

Forum List

Back