Has Putin put himself against the wall?

He did kind of walked things back during his last speech.

He said America was trying to trick Russia into starting a war with Ukraine and it was all America's fault.

If his followers believe that, it lets Putin off the hook as far as his home audience is concerned.

I think Putin is playing chess and knows exactly what his next several moves are. I do not believe he would accidentally not leave himself a way out. I expect him to invade, take a gas station and a license branch or something then call it mother Russia and go back to the daily routine. But I do expect him to do something with all those military assets.

I think Putin is playing chess and knows exactly what his next several moves are. I do not believe he would accidentally not leave himself a way out. I expect him to invade, take a gas station and a license branch or something then call it mother Russia and go back to the daily routine. But I do expect him to do something with all those military assets.
I think he will go for the blue areas in the East and maybe the South.

800px-Ukr_elections_2014_multimandate_okruhs.png

If Putin is really playing chess (I think he is not), then he should understand that he put himself in a zugzwang situation.

The threat of war can be far more effective than having a war will ever be.

Putin has already got what he really wants so far: The attention of NATO and China.

He's gotten NATO into diplomatic talks and won the support of China as well.

What he wants is:

1. NATO out of the Balkans
2. Ukraine never to be in NATO

Diplomatic talks can go on for years, but at least they're talking. It wouldn't be long for protests against NATO to start in the Balkans.

Besides, a demilitarized Eastern Europe isn't such a bad idea.

How is it possible considering that the majority of Balkan countries are already in Nato.

Make a demand that Ukraine should solve all territorial disputes before joining Nato, and basically this goal will be met.

Besides, a demilitarized Eastern Europe isn't such a bad idea
Eastern Europe also includes Russia. Is it ready to demilitarize?

The threat of war can be far more effective than having a war will ever be.

Putin has already got what he really wants so far: The attention of NATO and China.

He's gotten NATO into diplomatic talks and won the support of China as well.

What he wants is:

Diplomatic talks can go on for years, but at least they're talking. It wouldn't be long for protests against NATO to start in the Balkans.

Besides, a demilitarized Eastern Europe isn't such a bad idea.
He wants NATO out of there so he can invade.

All the moves were taken out of the Hitler playbook over 90 years ago. The Nazis blamed Poland for attacking Germany, and had made a short movie and planted evidence. Supposedly the Russians also made some movie.

And there are parallels with Crimea/Austria, Suedetenland/Donbas, and the next step would be Ukraine like Czechoslovakia (or Poland) and more.

He did kind of walked things back during his last speech.

He said America was trying to trick Russia into starting a war with Ukraine and it was all America's fault.

If his followers believe that, it lets Putin off the hook as far as his home audience is concerned.
If Putin is blaming the US, he's pretty lame.

Forum List

Back