Happy Birthday Patti Smith

Stasha_Sz

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
Katy Prairie
Punk poetess, author, R&R HoF and icon turned 70 on December 30. Best known for her stream of thought dissertations and edgy music, Smith's discography, 40 years worth continues through to today with the release of her latest album, Banga, earlier this year.
Smith, formally married to the late Fred "Sonic" Smith of MC5 fame and long time romantic interest of BOC's late Allen Lanier, is a Chicago native.
This is a cut from her first album with the Patti Smith Group, Horses, Break It Up:

Not afraid to cover classics, or work with other artists, some of Smith's best known works, though penned by others, have her own distinctive vocal flair.
This is probably her best known commercial recording, Easter, from an appearance on OGWT, this is her version of Bruce Springsteen's Because the Night:

Building on the commercial success of Easter, Smith followed up with the haunting Wave in 1979. This is Dancing Barefoot:

Smith, through her association with Allen Lanier, was considered for a time to be BOC's lead singer, however she did go on to pen some of that band's early classics. This is from a rehearsal for BOC's 40th anniversary show that was to occur in NYC, but due to Hurricane Sandy, never happened. This is Patti sitting in on Career of Evil:

Finally, Gloria, from Horses:

It's already the 31st, where I live.

Yes, it is the 31st here, now, where I live as well, however, when I began to work on this thread, it was still the 30th. Then I got caught by the 0215 hrs, "502 Bad Gateway NGNX" error, or I would have had it up sooner... my bad...:banghead::banghead:

Gross. Is this a racial thing? I mean come on. At least Streisand could sing some notes correctly. Smith is hideous.

Emotions like pain or angst can come through a less melodic voice and do more for bringing the listener to feel the heart going into the song then someone's opera trained vanilla bland voice. That's why I chose the song I did for this forum, it brings you chills, it can be felt.

Forum List

Back