Godfather Coda; The Death of Michael Corleone

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Mario Puzzo wanted that to be the title of Godfather III... it didn't happen.
We watched most of this last night. It had been a good 10 years since I had last seen this movie.
On it's own, it is a good movie. Measured against Godfather I and II... it is a substantial disappointment.
I was reminded why.
The biggest problem with the story line is Vincent. At the beginning of the movie, Michael had to be reminded of who he was. And Vincent's reintroduction to Michael at the party would have absolutely buried him in his mind. He would have dismissed him immediately.
And then later Michael tells him "I always felt responsible for you".... you mean the same kid you had to be reminded of who he was a few months earlier??
Michaels strange and immediate trust and ultimate highest position he gave to this 2 bit, problematic hot head who had obvious problems making good decisions simply makes no sense. And since that is the entire base of the movie... it makes the whole movie bad.

That was the stupidest part three of any movie ever. If you really like those movies you should read the book The Godfather. It pretty much covers the movies part one and two, but in WAY more detail and explains a lot of things much more.

Last edited:
Hated III with a passion; totally incompatible with the first two. Most of the character actors that made I and II have a deeper quality were dead by the time they made III; nearly every episode of The Sopranos, a made for TV series, was better than III, which is a shame.

Hated III with a passion; totally incompatible with the first two. Most of the character actors that made I and II have a deeper quality were dead by the time they made III; nearly every episode of The Sopranos, a made for TV series, was better than III, which is a shame.
It is interesting to me why two people (Puzzo and Copola) who were so emphatic about the quality of the first two, gave so little effort into the final movie. Was Coppola's real interest building a career for his daughter? (Sorry Frank, she was not a beautiful girl) Did Copola give in to the push from Hollywood to star Andy Garcia, a Cuban rising star to play Vincent?
I had huge problems with Garcia, he isn't good enough for the series. A problem with Sofia Copala, who wasn't pretty enough and her performance was equally thin. Kay and Michael's romantic day trip was not authentic. Both of them hated each other with a passion for good reasons. Their little outing did not fit with the story. There were so many problems.

It is interesting to me why two people (Puzzo and Copola) who were so emphatic about the quality of the first two, gave so little effort into the final movie. Was Coppola's real interest building a career for his daughter? (Sorry Frank, she was not a beautiful girl) Did Copola give in to the push from Hollywood to star Andy Garcia, a Cuban rising star to play Vincent?
I had huge problems with Garcia, he isn't good enough for the series. A problem with Sofia Copala, who wasn't pretty enough and her performance was equally thin. Kay and Michael's romantic day trip was not authentic. Both of them hated each other with a passion for good reasons. Their little outing did not fit with the story. There were so many problems.

Crap nearly all around. The scene where they talk that guy into killing the enemy boss with his own glasses was about the best scene and sub plot line in the movie, and up to standards, but the entire plot line around the assassin disguised as a priest was ridiculously amateurish and cheesy, too embarrassingly badly done even for a Maxwell Smart episode, and that wasn't the actor's fault; I've seen the guy in parts before, it was all horrible directing and writing, like something out of one of those crappy 'Spy' farces they did with Dean Martin, can't remember the name now, but you know, the awful ones.

Crap nearly all around. The scene where they talk that guy into killing the enemy boss with his own glasses was about the best scene and sub plot line in the movie, and up to standards, but the entire plot line around the assassin disguised as a priest was ridiculously amateurish and cheesy, too embarrassingly badly done even for a Maxwell Smart episode, and that wasn't the actor's fault; I've seen the guy in parts before, it was all horrible directing and writing, like something out of one of those crappy 'Spy' farces they did with Dean Martin, can't remember the name now, but you know, the awful ones.
Matt Helm. :D

Forum List

Back