flags of Germany - which ones do you know - if any?

I know - more or less ....

• the present day flag of pure black-red-gold

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • the East German flag: black-red-gold plus hammer and compass and wreath of wheat

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • the black-white-red flag with the swastika

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • the black-white-red flag with the eagle - the flag of the days of the Kaiser

• other German flags

• none

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Then there are the various Imperial/Nazi naval, air force, SS, HQ, flags along with vehicle pendants of general officers/field marshals/grand admirals.

Yes, there are lots of them.

the present day flag of pure black-red-gold​

and the Swastika flag​

.... have 2 votes each

1690122067176.png

By memory? The current flag, the East German flag and the WWII Nazi flag. I knew the German Navy had their own flag during WWII, but I couldn't remember what it looked like. I did know East Germany had the official name of "German Democratic Republic" even though it was far from being a democratic country.

I did know East Germany had the official name of "German Democratic Republic" even though it was far from being a democratic country.
In the West we said:

"Either you ARE democratic, or you call yourself so!" :)

More on POW camps in the US housing German soldiers.

The top of this link has a photo with dots showing where these camps were. It's a bit misleading because some of these facilities were medical camps which held prisoners who needed medical attention.

This link has photos of exhibits from the museum in Algona, IA.

German Flag Colors​

The color used in the flag is referred to as gold, not yellow. Conservatives, monarchists, and members of the far right criticized the black-red-gold tricolor when it was chosen as the Weimar Republic’s flag, calling the colors Schwarz-Rot-Gelb (black-red-yellow) or even Schwarz-Rot-Senf (black–red–mustard).

The Nazis quickly reinstated the black-white-red colors of Imperial Germany before 1918, and their propaganda apparatus proceeded to disparage the Schwarz-Rot-Gold by employing the same pejorative phrases that the monarchists had previously employed.

The use of “black-red-yellow” and similar terms had become illegal, according to the Federal Court of Justice (Bundesgerichtshof), after “years of Nazi agitation.” The German colors are black-red-yellow, but they are termed “black-red-gold,” as heraldist Arnold Rabbow once again stated in 1968.

Forum List

Back