Finally!!!! Sanity reigns, Senate passes education bill

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Well done, Common Core is a joke and makes simple problems into nightmares

Senate clears major new education bill, sends it to Obama

The Senate passed a bill that would replace the No Child Left Behind law and bar the government from mandating academic standards like Common Core. The bill now goes to President Barack Obama, who is expected to sign it

The way the nation's public schools are evaluated -- teachers, students and the schools themselves -- is headed for a major makeover, with a sweeping shift from federal to state control over school accountability and student testing.

The Senate on Wednesday voted 85-12 to approve legislation rewriting the landmark No Child Left Behind education law of 2002, now widely unpopular and criticized as unworkable and unrealistic. The measure now goes to the White House, where President Barack Obama is expected to sign it.

The bill would keep a key feature of No Child: the federally mandated statewide reading and math exams in grades three to eight and one such test in high school. But it would encourage states to set caps on the time students spend on testing and it would diminish the high stakes associated with these exams for underperforming schools.

The measure would substantially limit the federal government's role, barring the Education Department from telling states and local districts how to assess school and teacher performance.

Senate clears major new education bill, sends it to Obama | Fox News

Teaching for exams doesn't work for many students. Once the exams have happened the rest of the academic year is often a joke.

I'm suprised the meat muppet queer is expected to sign it. There must be $100 billion worth of democrook pork in the bill somewhere.

Not everybody is pleased with this bill......some call it the 'Frankenstein' bill because it was cut and pasted from other rejected bills....a 1061 page bill that nobody in either House or Senate has had any real time to review....certainly not the public.....

the only opposition to this Frankenstein bill came from conservative republicans....

Tuttle, an activist against Common Core says....

"On substance, Tuttle gave the bill an “F,” starting from the deceit by which it has been marketed. She says this is “nothing better than NCLB.” And it will have massive consequences for teachers, parents and children. Republicans, she thought, would have wanted to wait for a new president. But this authorization extends the bill through 2020 — continuing the influence of the Obama administration through the next president’s term.

The activist says the bill does not give states adequate authority, contrary to the claims of the sponsors. There are no enforcement provisions protecting states against overreach by the federal authorities. Looking at the supporters of this legislation, she says, you see those who support Common Core and the testing regime.

The bill, she says, will not end Common Core. “Wiggle room” has been added to text language, Tuttle explains, that thwart the purported claims of GOP sponsors in their attempt to limit federal power. Besides, the American Principle Project has said, “the highly prescriptive requirements for dictating standards, assessments, and accountability systems” are still in the bill, regardless of what standards are named."

Read more: Common Core Expert: House ‘Frankenstein’ Education Bill Hurts Kids

I'd like to see an education bill that for starters guts the dept. of education's sprawling bureaucracy.

I agree. Get rid of the Dept. of Education. Its a waste of time and is loaded with more Fed workers we taxpayers have to support.

Let the States handle education in their States.

Teaching for exams doesn't work for many students. Once the exams have happened the rest of the academic year is often a joke.

Government's role in education should be very limited
Government funds education. Entities who get such money need to produce results. If we leave schools to private pay only, few will afford it.

Government funds education. Entities who get such money need to produce results. If we leave schools to private pay only, few will afford it.

Our children attend private schools and we're pleased with the results. It's an investment in their futures

Our children attend private schools and we're pleased with the results. It's an investment in their futures
Good for you. Not everyone has that luxury of being able to afford private school for their kids. I don't, for one. My kids are as worthy of a good education as anyone else's.

Good for you. Not everyone has that luxury of being able to afford private school for their kids. I don't, for one. My kids are as worthy of a good education as anyone else's.

You get what you pay for, tuition isn't cheap but they'll come out of school far ahead of their peers in public schools. Like I said, it's an investment

I really think allowing the states to independently control the education (as well as economy) might be better for the average. If one state messes up another state can pick up the slack. Its like how stock brokers don't buy one or two stocks...they diversify.

Well done, Common Core is a joke and makes simple problems into nightmares

Senate clears major new education bill, sends it to Obama

The Senate passed a bill that would replace the No Child Left Behind law and bar the government from mandating academic standards like Common Core. The bill now goes to President Barack Obama, who is expected to sign it

The way the nation's public schools are evaluated -- teachers, students and the schools themselves -- is headed for a major makeover, with a sweeping shift from federal to state control over school accountability and student testing.

The Senate on Wednesday voted 85-12 to approve legislation rewriting the landmark No Child Left Behind education law of 2002, now widely unpopular and criticized as unworkable and unrealistic. The measure now goes to the White House, where President Barack Obama is expected to sign it.

The bill would keep a key feature of No Child: the federally mandated statewide reading and math exams in grades three to eight and one such test in high school. But it would encourage states to set caps on the time students spend on testing and it would diminish the high stakes associated with these exams for underperforming schools.

The measure would substantially limit the federal government's role, barring the Education Department from telling states and local districts how to assess school and teacher performance.

Senate clears major new education bill, sends it to Obama | Fox News
The No Child Left Behind program and its academic mandates are a Republican invention. George Bush and the Republican Congress own that.

It's nice to see you admit it was a huge mistake, kid. Judging by your posts on this forum, Bush's program obviously failed you.

Last edited:

You get what you pay for, tuition isn't cheap but they'll come out of school far ahead of their peers in public schools. Like I said, it's an investment
AND not everyone can afford it, and that doesn't bother you because YOU can afford private schools.

As for Common Core, that is a state level program. Developed by the states with no federal input or federal money, and approved by 42 states.

The vast majority of those states are red states.

Republicans loooooooooved Common Core...until Obama said he liked it, too. Then, in true Orwellian fashion, the Republicans tore all the Common Core posters off the wall and said, "We have always been at war with Common Core."

Now they have decided it is better to raise their children as retards with none of the skills necessary to land the jobs of the future.

"You want fries with that?"

I notice that some who can afford private school resent paying taxes so that those who can't afford private education get educated.

AND not everyone can afford it, and that doesn't bother you because YOU can afford private schools.

Our children come first to us, as they should. I'm sorry but public education is a mess, that's not our fault, it should have been addressed years ago but it was allowed to fester and decay. You can start by blaming teacher's unions, they have made education a business instead of a learning process, then start blaming the liberal agenda in schools , I am amazed at how stupid kids that come out of the public education schools are. One of our daughters is on the debate team and when they debate a public school team it's sad watching those kids struggle with simple history and common knowledge

Last edited:

Our children come first to us, as they should. I'm sorry but public education is a mess, that's not our fault, it should have been addressed years ago but it was allowed to fester and decay. You can start by blaming teacher's unions, they have made education a business instead of a learning process, then start blaming the liberal agenda in schools, I am amazed at how stupid kids that come out of the public education schools. One of our daughters is on the debate team and when they debate a public school team it's sad watching those kids struggle with simple history and common knowledge
Care for others. That is why we have public education.

Our children come first to us, as they should. I'm sorry but public education is a mess, that's not our fault, it should have been addressed years ago but it was allowed to fester and decay. You can start by blaming teacher's unions, they have made education a business instead of a learning process, then start blaming the liberal agenda in schools, I am amazed at how stupid kids that come out of the public education schools. One of our daughters is on the debate team and when they debate a public school team it's sad watching those kids struggle with simple history and common knowledge
Care for others. That is why we have public education.

We pay our taxes as well as tuition

Forum List

Back