Fake Relic

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
OK I'm going to put this in music because I will be using guitars as an example but I think it can apply to almost anything.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about so called relic or "road worn" but new instruments.

These fake relics usually come with a higher price tag than the exact same new guitar.

What's the point of this ?

Now it's a completely different thing altogether if you find an old guitar with real wear on it because it tells a story of all the people who played it before you andall those hands have actually added something to the instrument making it unique.

It's like the Velveteen Rabbit. A truly used guitar was loved and made something more than it was.

A fake relic is like loving a prostitute.

OK I'm going to put this in music because I will be using guitars as an example but I think it can apply to almost anything.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about so called relic or "road worn" but new instruments.

These fake relics usually come with a higher price tag than the exact same new guitar.

What's the point of this ?

Now it's a completely different thing altogether if you find an old guitar with real wear on it because it tells a story of all the people who played it before you andall those hands have actually added something to the instrument making it unique.

It's like the Velveteen Rabbit. A truly used guitar was loved and made something more than it was.

A fake relic is like loving a prostitute.
They are signature instruments most of which are made to the specifications of the artist involved.

They are signature instruments most of which are made to the specifications of the artist involved.
Not always.

I'm talking more about the ones with the fake wear in the finishes not so much the artists' signature models which are just another way to overprice a guitar.

A lot of those relics look like the previous owners went out of their way to purposely beat the crap out of their guitars.

Which is why I said most, not all.
I don't even think it's most.

You can get so called road worn strats that are mass produced and not part of any artist signature series that are usually limited runs.

A lot of those relics look like the previous owners went out of their way to purposely beat the crap out of their guitars.
There is that but you can also buy them brand new where the "wear" was done at the factory

LOL.....Some people like the "dragged behind a pick-up on a gravel road" look.....Commercially it's called "the distressed look". Looks like ass IMHO.

R.7f11f110e6afe750352923bc8a957fdd

LOL.....Some people like the "dragged behind a pick-up on a gravel road" look.....Commercially it's called "the distressed look". Looks like ass IMHO.

R.7f11f110e6afe750352923bc8a957fdd
Yeah it's like those fake antique furniture pieces too

Forum List

Back