Evil Corp Watch: Walmart's Imports From China Displaced 400,000 Jobs...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
And according to some inside sources, Walmart will be dramatically reducing its workforce and cutting workers' hours in the near future.

Still wanna be a loyal Walmart Shopper?

Imports from China by Walmart, the nation’s largest retailer and biggest importer, eliminated or displaced over 400,000 jobs in the United States between 2001 and 2013, according to an estimate by the Economic Policy Institute, a research group that has long targeted Walmart’s policies.

The jobs, mostly in manufacturing, represent about 13 percent of the 3.2 million jobs displaced over those same years that the study attributes to the United States’ goods trade deficit with China. Walmart’s Chinese imports amounted to at least $49 billion in 2013, according to the study, which was based on trade and labor data. Over all, the United States’ trade deficit with China hit $324 billion that year.

"Walmart is one of the major forces pulling imports into the United States,” said Robert E. Scott, an economist at the institute and the study’s author. “And the jobs we’re losing are good-paying manufacturing jobs, which pay higher wages and provide better benefits.”...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/business/economy/walmart-china-imports-job-losses.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2016®

Why is it Walmarts fault? Its our politicians that give this shit to them!

Why is it Walmarts fault? Its our politicians that give this shit to them!

Corporate Welfare. The Walton Family is well-connected to Government. When they demand their handouts, they get em.

I want my stuff made by a $30 an hour American, not some $1 an hour furriner, dammit!

Walmart's Imports From China Displaced 400,000 Jobs...

And the GOP cheered.

But I thought libs believed in no borders, and that we are all connected ?
This way workers in other parts of the world get jobs too !

People want cheap goods. Walmart is giving it to them. The best way to stop this is for people to stop shopping there, but it won't happen.

People want cheap goods. Walmart is giving it to them. The best way to stop this is for people to stop shopping there, but it won't happen.

Yeah, fat greedy Americans sure do love them some cheap Walmart shit. Very few know what they're supporting. And they don't care.

And according to some inside sources, Walmart will be dramatically reducing its workforce and cutting workers' hours in the near future.

Imports from China by Walmart, the nation’s largest retailer and biggest importer, eliminated or displaced over 400,000 jobs in the United States between 2001 and 2013, according to an estimate by the Economic Policy Institute, a research group that has long targeted Walmart’s policies.

The jobs, mostly in manufacturing, represent about 13 percent of the 3.2 million jobs displaced over those same years that the study attributes to the United States’ goods trade deficit with China. Walmart’s Chinese imports amounted to at least $49 billion in 2013, according to the study, which was based on trade and labor data. Over all, the United States’ trade deficit with China hit $324 billion that year.

"Walmart is one of the major forces pulling imports into the United States,” said Robert E. Scott, an economist at the institute and the study’s author. “And the jobs we’re losing are good-paying manufacturing jobs, which pay higher wages and provide better benefits.”...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/business/economy/walmart-china-imports-job-losses.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2016®

News flash water is wet.

Then quit buying cheap crap from Walmart.

DRUDGE REPORT 2016®
And here is the kicker. It hasn't lowered prices one bit. They didn't pass the savings on to consumers. That's how they sold us on buying shit from China. They said it would save the consumers money. But that didn't happen. I can get shit cheaper at Krogers and Meijers. All the savings from doing business in China goes right into the Walton's pockets.

Here's an interesting little tid bit I just learned about Wal Mart.

We needed TP. So I was passing by a Wal Mart and thought I'd stop in and pick some up and save a little bit.

After a few days of use, I happened to mention the Mrs Clean that the TP I got at Wal Mart does not seem the same as the same brand we normally by at the super market. She agreed, not as fluffy. Not bad, mind you, but not the same.

So the next time I was at Wal Mart I did a per roll cost. It came to 54 cents a roll. The same exact product at the super market came out to be 49 cents a roll.

I suspect Wal Mart buys a lower grade product and then tries to pass it off as some kind of savings.

Here's an interesting little tid bit I just learned about Wal Mart.

We needed TP. So I was passing by a Wal Mart and thought I'd stop in and pick some up and save a little bit.

After a few days of use, I happened to mention the Mrs Clean that the TP I got at Wal Mart does not seem the same as the same brand we normally by at the super market. She agreed, not as fluffy. Not bad, mind you, but not the same.

So the next time I was at Wal Mart I did a per roll cost. It came to 54 cents a roll. The same exact product at the super market came out to be 49 cents a roll.

I suspect Wal Mart buys a lower grade product and then tries to pass it off as some kind of savings.
The only thing I buy from Walmart is their store brand version of Saran Wrap. It's some good stuff. Better than any other store brand out there. As good, if not better, than Saran Wrap.

I go out of my way to get my plastic wrap from there. I can't remember the last time I went to Walmart other than to buy plastic wrap.

Walmart is also a good place for some people to buy kids clothes. It's shoddy stuff, but the kids outgrow the clothes faster than they wear them out.

Forget the shoes, though. Wherever Walmart's shoes are made, they aren't designed by humans with human feet.

Yeah....only Walmart sells shit from China.....LOL

According to Wal-Mart haters, that might as well be true.

Seriously though, take a look through a Target or K-Mart store room. "Made In China", "Made In China", "Made In China". And those places pay their employees LESS than Wal-Mart. But for some unknown reason Wal-Mart is the only store that takes any flak for it.

Yeah....only Walmart sells shit from China.....LOL

According to Wal-Mart haters, that might as well be true.

Seriously though, take a look through a Target or K-Mart store room. "Made In China", "Made In China", "Made In China". And those places pay their employees LESS than Wal-Mart. But for some unknown reason Wal-Mart is the only store that takes any flak for it.
301kab7.jpg

K-Mart sucks...yeah.

Affluent Chinese shop at Wal-mart...
icon_wink.gif

Wal-Mart's Sam's Club: A bright spot in China
May 31,`16 -- Wal-Mart's Sam's Club took a gamble in China almost two years ago. It changed the way it sells meat and fish, putting them in packages instead of letting Chinese shoppers physically inspect cuts of meat or live fish in tanks the way they're used to.
The new approach is paying off. The affluent Chinese customers Sam's Club attracts are well-traveled and used to the way shopping works in the West. "I really trust the store," said Huang Liu, who shops here once a week. She doesn't mind that the meat or seafood is packaged: "Even though it's not live, it is very fresh."

That move is counter to the rest of the Wal-Mart experience in China where its namesake stores highlight live crabs and frogs as well as piles of fish with bulging eyeballs. That's because many Chinese want to touch and feel the products as a way to determine they're fresh. That's different from the U.S. where customers prefer products packaged. But in many ways, the world's wealthy shoppers are perhaps more similar to each other than their own countrymen. And Wal-Mart sees this move to introduce more Western ways of merchandising in China as a way to attract high-income shoppers like Liu.

c499b3250c10422aaadab892135a4c39_0-big.jpg

Shoppers visit a Sam's Club in Shenzhen, China. Wal-Mart has 800 of the members-only stores worldwide, and four of the top 10 are in China. The No. 1 Sam’s Club is in Shenzhen, a status it’s enjoyed since 2008​

Wal-Mart Sam's Club is also expanding its array of foreign imports and spicing up the offerings with eye-catching fancy TVs. That strategy has helped turn Sam's Club stores into Wal-Mart's biggest success in China. Wal-Mart has 800 of the members-only stores worldwide, and four of the top 10 are in China. The No. 1 Sam's Club is in Shenzhen, a status it's enjoyed since 2008. The company plans to add seven or so Sam's Clubs to the 13 now in China by 2017, offsetting sluggish sales at its namesake store.

Wal-Mart's Sam's Club is just starting to focus on wooing the affluent in the United States as a way to set itself further apart from its namesake stores, which generally cater to lower-income shoppers. It hopes to lure well-off American shoppers to Sam's Club and away from industry leader Costco Wholesale Corp., which has consistently beat the U.S. clubs on a key sales measure. Sam's Club is opening stores in wealthier areas in the U.S. and improving its food brands.

MORE

See also:

Key facts about Wal-Mart
Jun 1,`16 -- Some facts about Wal-Mart:
Number of stores: Wal-Mart operates over 11,500 stores under more than 70 banners in 28 countries including the U.S. In the U.S., the company operates more than 5,200 stores including more than 600 Sam's Club stores.
Number of employees worldwide: 2.3 million workers including 1.5 million in the U.S.

f4c956ca7d8448c89de8421b167f1025_0-big.jpg

A shopper looks at products at a Wal-Mart in Shenzhen, in southern China's Guangdong province. Wal-Mart's "Worry Free" message uses the Chinese characters for “save, heart, price,’’ seen on the red signs, implying quality and reassuring shoppers who worry that deals will expire before they get to the store.​

Annual sales: Wal-Mart's total revenue fell slightly in the fiscal year ended in January to $478.6 billion, excluding revenue from membership fees and other income. That marked the first annual drop since the company went public 45 years ago. The drop was partly due to a stronger U.S. dollar and ongoing store closures.

Breakdown by division: Wal-Mart's U.S. namesake business accounts for 62 percent of its business, while Wal-Mart's international business accounts for 26 percent. Sam's Club accounts for the remaining 12 percent.

News from The Associated Press

Forum List

Back