Equal Rights vs Social Equity

Go:

• Equal Rights

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Social Equity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I believe in equal rights, insofar as everyone has the same opportunity, more or less, to excel.

The problem is that too many people squander such opportunities and then demand that they be treated as though they didn't...

I believe that everyone should start at the same place on the starting line and have equal rights. Where they end up is then in their hands.
Some people will have better parents than others. Would you consider that a better "place on the starting line"? Frankly, I can't think of anything that impacts a child more.

Finishing is the important thing. Some will take longer, but all can finish the race regardless of where they started.

Some people will have better parents than others. Would you consider that a better "place on the starting line"? Frankly, I can't think of anything that impacts a child more.
Parent’s are a variable that can’t really be adjusted for, but other things can be helped to create more equality at the start line. For example economic situations, the effects of poor schools, lack of opportunities and safe places to learn and recreate in, etc. Free community college.

Parent’s are a variable that can’t really be adjusted for, but other things can be helped to create more equality at the start line. For example economic situations, the effects of poor schools, lack of opportunities and safe places to learn and recreate in, etc. Free community college.
Free community college is hardly the equivalent of an ivy league education. Do you see a role for government in preventing parents from giving their children a "head start"? Should we outlaw inheritance, or gifting, from wealthy parents to their children?

The "Like father, like son" aspect must be considered. Many kids from working class families aren't disposed to go to on to college after high school.

I believe that everyone should start at the same place on the starting line and have equal rights. Where they end up is then in their hands.
We will never have equal starting points. If your parents are smart and educated, you automatically have an advantage. How do you propose to make that equal?

We will never have equal starting points. If your parents are smart and educated, you automatically have an advantage. How do you propose to make that equal?
The "equality" isn't at the starting point. It's the opportunity that lies ahead. Many who have starting point advantages fail miserably, and vice versa. The biggest enemy of success imo is unrealistic expectations.

The "equality" isn't at the starting point. It's the opportunity that lies ahead. Many who have starting point advantages fail miserably, and vice versa. The biggest enemy of success imo is unrealistic expectations.
You're rejecting all the liberal "wisdom" of the last century.

Forum List

Back