Does the Joe average American...

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
4,862
981
48
really take much interest in politics, here in England it is a dead duck , on the whole.
 
roomy said:
really take much interest in politics, here in England it is a dead duck , on the whole.

About the same here. We got almost 50% of registered voters to turn out for the last election, and that was considered a phenomenal record-setter.
 
Hobbit said:
About the same here. We got almost 50% of registered voters to turn out for the last election, and that was considered a phenomenal record-setter.

It angers me when those that don't vote start moaning about their lot, when challenged on their political stance they usually cry "I don't vote, it's a waste of time, they are all the same anyway".I say vote to make a difference or just shut the fuck up about it.
 
roomy said:
It angers me when those that don't vote start moaning about their lot, when challenged on their political stance they usually cry "I don't vote, it's a waste of time, they are all the same anyway".I say vote to make a difference or just shut the fuck up about it.

A friend of mine is interest in politics but does not vote in protest. I don't think it will ever work, but I assume not voting has to be considered a political option that does not automatically mean you cannot continue to opine on politics.
 
roomy said:
It angers me when those that don't vote start moaning about their lot, when challenged on their political stance they usually cry "I don't vote, it's a waste of time, they are all the same anyway".I say vote to make a difference or just shut the fuck up about it.

I totally agree. If you don't bother to vote, you forfeit your right to bitch, IMO.
 
nosarcasm said:
A friend of mine is interest in politics but does not vote in protest. I don't think it will ever work, but I assume not voting has to be considered a political option that does not automatically mean you cannot continue to opine on politics.

I wouldn't say "cannot;" however, one's true political voice, such as that it is, is in the power of the vote. I have to question the convictions and sincerity of a person who wants to express political opinions all day but cannot take the time to back up his/her mouth.
 
GunnyL said:
I wouldn't say "cannot;" however, one's true political voice, such as that it is, is in the power of the vote. I have to question the convictions and sincerity of a person who wants to express political opinions all day but cannot take the time to back up his/her mouth.

If somebody starts talking about not voting as a form of protest, that person is either a moron or lieing to you. The best way to protest all available candidates in a single election is to do what the Soviets did in their first 'free' election (all candidates were, of course, communists). They turned in blank ballots.
 
Hobbit said:
If somebody starts talking about not voting as a form of protest, that person is either a moron or lieing to you. The best way to protest all available candidates in a single election is to do what the Soviets did in their first 'free' election (all candidates were, of course, communists). They turned in blank ballots.

Honestly, it is a sad state of affairs. When I was younger, I voted for candidates. Anymore, I end up voting against a candidate and not so much for anyone. Agree with it or not, like it or not, IMO that's about what it comes down to.

I don't see that we the people are coming out the winner, or our interests being represented by either party. At this point in time; however, the Republicans in general are the lesser of two evils. I just wish they'd start acting like Republicans again.
 

New Topics

Forum List

Back
Top