Disposing of Old Cell Phones

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Many organizations are now offering to recycle old cell phones. They accept them, repair as necessary and then distribute them to homeless shelters and others in need. Often phones are resold in developing countries that lack landlines, or where the cost of a new phone is prohibitive. Some groups dissect obsolete phones for re-useable parts and then dispose of the waste according to environmental safety guidelines.

Recycling your phone can be as easy as selecting a charity you want to help, submitting your information so you can get tax credit, and then sending in your phone and its charger or delivering it to a collection center. One organization doing a great job of collecting and recycling cell phones is CollectiveGood.com. Visit the site to learn how and where to send your old phones. Another organization, CharitableRecycling.com, offers collection sites all across the U.S. Simply go to their site and click on your state.

Looking for a fundraising idea for your school, sports program or other nonprofit organization? Your group can collect used phones and Charitable Recycling will pay the organization a small amount for each phone turned in. What a great way to clean up the environment and at the same time raise money for your favorite cause. Go to www.CharitableRecycling.com for more information and to receive a starter kit, promotional materials and customizable posters.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/cheapskate1.asp

Adam's Apple said:
Many organizations are now offering to recycle old cell phones. They accept them, repair as necessary and then distribute them to homeless shelters and others in need. Often phones are resold in developing countries that lack landlines, or where the cost of a new phone is prohibitive. Some groups dissect obsolete phones for re-useable parts and then dispose of the waste according to environmental safety guidelines.

Recycling your phone can be as easy as selecting a charity you want to help, submitting your information so you can get tax credit, and then sending in your phone and its charger or delivering it to a collection center. One organization doing a great job of collecting and recycling cell phones is CollectiveGood.com. Visit the site to learn how and where to send your old phones. Another organization, CharitableRecycling.com, offers collection sites all across the U.S. Simply go to their site and click on your state.

Looking for a fundraising idea for your school, sports program or other nonprofit organization? Your group can collect used phones and Charitable Recycling will pay the organization a small amount for each phone turned in. What a great way to clean up the environment and at the same time raise money for your favorite cause. Go to www.CharitableRecycling.com for more information and to receive a starter kit, promotional materials and customizable posters.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/cheapskate1.asp

Hmm... If someone is truely "in need", then a cell phone is the least of their needs. I'd rather see them loaded with prepaid time, and then shipped to Military bases.

Shattered said:
Hmm... If someone is truely "in need", then a cell phone is the least of their needs. I'd rather see them loaded with prepaid time, and then shipped to Military bases.
A cell phone can give them a valuable way for employers to call them and they can also contact family and friends who could help them.

dilloduck said:
A cell phone can give them a valuable way for employers to call them and they can also contact family and friends who could help them.

The phones are being sent to homeless shelters - homeless shelters have phones already. They're not needed. Homeless shelters need things like *food* and *beds* and *larger buildings*. That's like saying they need cable tv.

However, you can have all the prepaid phone cards you like sent to the Military - but if there's no phones available, they don't do much good, do they?

Shattered said:
The phones are being sent to homeless shelters - homeless shelters have phones already. They're not needed. Homeless shelters need things like *food* and *beds* and *larger buildings*. That's like saying they need cable tv.

However, you can have all the prepaid phone cards you like sent to the Military - but if there's no phones available, they don't do much good, do they?

Homeless shelters assist people who live on the street and already do a lot to feed and house them--a phone contact is valuable after you have submitted a job application---you got a problem with people donating phones to them ? Here you go again--talking about things that you know nothing about.

dilloduck said:
Homeless shelters assist people who live on the street and already do a lot to feed and house them--a phone contact is valuable after you have submitted a job application---you got a problem with people donating phones to them ? Here you go again--talking about things that you know nothing about.

You don't see homeless people applying for jobs - you see them standing on street corners asking for money. They don't have the clothing required for a job interview - yet another thing that can be donated to homeless shelters. There are far more important things they need than cell phones.

How many employers do you know that are even going to give consideration to someone showing up in tattered clothes for an interview? Pretty much none.

You can say whatever you like about what you think my knowledge is, or my motives are - that's not going to do much to change the fact that I think the priorities should be a bit different than you do.

Shattered said:
You don't see homeless people applying for jobs - you see them standing on street corners asking for money. They don't have the clothing required for a job interview - yet another thing that can be donated to homeless shelters. There are far more important things they need than cell phones.

How many employers do you know that are even going to give consideration to someone showing up in tattered clothes for an interview? Pretty much none.

You can say whatever you like about what you think my knowledge is, or my motives are - that's not going to do much to change the fact that I think the priorities should be a bit different than you do.

The article says NOTHING about stopping food and clothing donations. What you see on a streetcorner is nothing compared to the ones you don't see. Again--the article said NOTHING about priorites----this is merely an ADDITIONAL way to help people. Got a problem with that?

dilloduck said:
The article says NOTHING about stopping food and clothing donations. What you see on a streetcorner is nothing compared to the ones you don't see. Again--the article said NOTHING about priorites----this is merely an ADDITIONAL way to help people. Got a problem with that?

Apparently, YOU have a problem with my voicing my opinion. Get over it. Just because you seem to think our Military is entitled to less than your average homeless person, doesn't give you the right to get your rocks off chasing the same person from thread to thread trying to pick a fight with them.

Shattered said:
Apparently, YOU have a problem with my voicing my opinion. Get over it. Just because you seem to think our Military is entitled to less than your average homeless person, doesn't give you the right to get your rocks off chasing the same person from thread to thread trying to pick a fight with them.

Voicing you opinion is everyones right--- the essence of your opinion is what I disagree with----I know you feel like you should be able to post here with complete concurrance but you are delusional.

Shattered said:
Why should our military get seconds? I think they should have the best.

i think around here there are some orgs that collect them and give them to the elderly, for 911 calls. and also to battered women.

Joz said:
Why should our military get seconds? I think they should have the best.

Bravo!

I would love see a cellphone company give new phones to every member of the military.

Won't happen. Corporate greed.

But if it did, I'd switch my service to their company.

GotZoom said:
Bravo!
I would love see a cellphone company give new phones to every member of the military.
Won't happen. Corporate greed.
But if it did, I'd switch my service to their company.
The phone companies act like since they give a soldier 3 minutes to talk to their family, they've done their due. I realize there are thousands of soldiers. But without our soldiers the phone companies wouldn't exist.

Shattered said:

there are shelters in the bay area that re-train the homeless....these shelters are occupied by families trying to get a job to move out of the family shelter and donating a phone would help them, i donate my suits, shirts and ties to them....i have a rule if i buy something new something must be donated....zero sum game in my closet.....as for the bums on the street corner.....i give them the crappy french wine that i get as gifts

Forum List

Back