Dirty Harry...how far was that original shot from the opening scene?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Dirty Harry is on Netflix.......watched the opening scene of the nut with the rifle shooting the woman in the pool......the range on that shot.....just wondering how far it actually was...cause if he wasn't a trained sniper, the odds of him making it would have been close to zero.....

Just wondering if anyone knows the distance......

Dirty Harry is on Netflix.......watched the opening scene of the nut with the rifle shooting the woman in the pool......the range on that shot.....just wondering how far it actually was...cause if he wasn't a trained sniper, the odds of him making it would have been close to zero.....

The rooftop pool in the film was at what then was The Holiday Inn at 750 Kearny Street in the Chinatown area of San Francisco, Scorpio is taking his shot from the rooftop at 555 California Street which was then The Bank of America, the below says the distance is 0,4 miles:

upload_2020-2-14_18-33-10.png

Here is the opening scene in it's entirety it's four minutes and fifty four seconds:

.4 mile is 643 meters. Not that hard a shot with a good rifle and scope. I have made 600 meter shots without scope as a PFC.

The rooftop pool in the film was at what then was The Holiday Inn at 750 Kearny Street in the Chinatown area of San Francisco, Scorpio is taking his shot from the rooftop at 555 California Street which was then The Bank of America, the below says the distance is 0,4 miles:

View attachment 306666

Here is the opening scene in it's entirety it's four minutes and fifty four seconds:

Thanks......appreciate it....

.4 mile is 643 meters. Not that hard a shot with a good rifle and scope. I have made 600 meter shots without scope as a PFC.

Yeah...but think of the wind factor, the water factor, and that she was moving as well.......

Yeah...but think of the wind factor, the water factor, and that she was moving as well.......

At speed she was moving, would hardly need much lead, as in still aiming on skin. True, I was shooting pop up targets, aiming just over the head, but if M-16 can do it without scope. Making the shot with a big bore sniper rifle, with scope properly adjusted should be no problem, but I'm no expert, by any means.

At speed she was moving, would hardly need much lead, as in still aiming on skin. True, I was shooting pop up targets, aiming just over the head, but if M-16 can do it without scope. Making the shot with a big bore sniper rifle, with scope properly adjusted should be no problem, but I'm no expert, by any means.

704 yards with an M16?
That would be up there with the longest kill shot ever made with the M16....and that was with optics.
The round just doesnt stay stable at that range.

With say a .338 Lupua it would be a relatively easy shot for someone who had a bit of experience and not much at that.
The biggest issue would have been the wind you could hear whistling in the movie clip.

View attachment 306666

Is that travel distance or straight line?
I could say but I havent loaded Google Earth pro on the new laptop yet.

View attachment 306666

Is that travel distance or straight line?
I could say but I havent loaded Google Earth pro on the new laptop yet.

I think it's travel distance.

It should be pointed out that films are for entertainment purposes and so it doesn't matter if Scorpio was or was not a trained sniper, that opening shot sets the general scene for the entire film.

It should be pointed out that films are for entertainment purposes and so it doesn't matter if Scorpio was or was not a trained sniper, that opening shot sets the general scene for the entire film.

Actually, entertainment or not, something that would be completely unbelievable ruins the ability to "suspend disbelief," which is a key part to entertainment......if you are taken out of the movie by something that is sooo unrealistic according to the world the story is set in.....it loses some entertainment value...because you are taken out of the movie.

In a Super Hero movie...you "suspend disbelief," because the rules in the Super Hero world are different from what we normally have....so the Hulk can destroy a building.......but, if you are set in a normal world and a regular human destroys a building, in say, a detective story.....it ruins the movie...it doesn't make sense according to the world that the story is set in.....

This video explains why you aren't accurate.....

Forum List

Back