Desert Driving

MaineDerryAir

Rookie
Aug 22, 2016
In a few weeks, I'm going to have to do my first desert drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix. It's been a while since I've brought my car in for a rune-up and I've been reading through auto maintenance tips with a bit of nervousness. I don't take my car in regularly. My car's not acting funny or anything but, generally speaking, what's the most important maintenance to do before a lengthy desert drive? I know I need to bring a jug or two of water in case I break down, wheel tread seems okay (one wheel in the back is a bit bald), I'm not due for an oil change.

3 of my tires are almost new, I just haven't had the cash to replace the 4th yet but it's not completely bald - it just could do a bit better. Maybe I'll see if I can scrape together enough to get it replaced before the trip. Thanks for the heads up about the desert animals!

3 of my tires are almost new, I just haven't had the cash to replace the 4th yet but it's not completely bald - it just could do a bit better. Maybe I'll see if I can scrape together enough to get it replaced before the trip. Thanks for the heads up about the desert animals!
For around $5.00 you can buy a set of deer whistles and attach them to your grill or bumper. They will alert any animal and they'll not run across the road while you're driving. A deer will tear up your car and even kill you. Any auto parts store sells them.

Crap, this time of year isn't bad. The monsoons should be over with so most likely you won't have to worry about rain and it's much cooler, in the low 90s. It's a straight shot on I 10 so just prepare like you would for a normal 5 to 6 hour drive, tire pressure, radiator fluid, gas, oil and bring extra water for yourself just in case of a breakdown. Being a busy highway I wouldn't worry too much about getting help if that happens.

Pull over at sunset and smoke a big old fattie while you watch the sun go down. Sunset in the city is not the same as sunset on the desert

I am not aware of doing one thing different driving anywhere anytime. Other than snow, ice or heavy rain.

Car motors run hot. Desert heat does not matter much? Lots of wind into radiator at high speed. No worries.

I am not aware of doing one thing different driving anywhere anytime. Other than snow, ice or heavy rain.

Car motors run hot. Desert heat does not matter much? Lots of wind into radiator at high speed. No worries.
In Phoenix during the height of the summer you need pontoons on the vehicle....... Asphalt has a liquid state....... :eusa_whistle:
:D

Pull over at sunset and smoke a big old fattie while you watch the sun go down. Sunset in the city is not the same as sunset on the desert

You really are retarded aren't you.

In a few weeks, I'm going to have to do my first desert drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix. It's been a while since I've brought my car in for a rune-up and I've been reading through auto maintenance tips with a bit of nervousness. I don't take my car in regularly. My car's not acting funny or anything but, generally speaking, what's the most important maintenance to do before a lengthy desert drive? I know I need to bring a jug or two of water in case I break down, wheel tread seems okay (one wheel in the back is a bit bald), I'm not due for an oil change.

I drive in the desert all of the time and so long as your cooling system is in good shape there is nothing to worry about. By all means carry water and food, but so long as you aren't an idiot you will have no trouble.

Check your hoses. Keep your eye on the temp gauge.

You should be OK. When I moved to the desert 50 years ago we needed canvas bags hung on the hood ornament for when the cooling system boiled over. Newer cars run cooler.

Stop and go traffic is a lot harder on the operating system than highway driving and we almost never see cars stalled in traffic anymore, even old clunkers.

Your biggest worry would be some component failing coincidentally, unrelated to your trip. A few years ago our distributor wore out when we were in the middle of nowhere, but that was just bad luck. It probably would have given out in our driveway that same day if we'd been home, going out shopping.

Oh and just remember, Phoenix is the central U.S. wholesale market for illegal drug distribution.........

Just thought I'd toss that out there....... :lol:

Extra water, maybe extra radiator hoses just in case, and more importantly...........

Dont play with the locals!

You really are retarded aren't you.

No, but you're a blowhard. Why don't you just hug my nuts? You gonna ban me now for responding in kind?

Why would I ban you for being a 'tard? Far better to leave your stupid posts up so that everyone can see just what an idiot you are. The question was how to drive safely in the desert. Your suggestion to smoke a bunch of mary jane is retarded, stupid, and dangerous. Just about what I would expect from a moron like you.

Hello moron!:bye1:

Thanks for the help, everyone! I drove my car from Florida to LA, so I'm not really sure why I'm even nervous about this trip at all. I guess just because the car's a bit longer in the tooth.

Forum List

Back