Dem Sen Gary Peters:"time to reassess filibuster if GOP continue to refuse to negotiate", signaling shift from previous neutral comments on filibuster

I hope your team treads carefully on this. If you try to use it to enact a federal control over state election procedures, all hell is going to break loose. It will be seen as an open attempt to stay in power, even against the will of the electorate and it will not go unanswered.

Fine while he is reassing he would be wise to factor into that reassessment that the Democrats will be the minority in the Senate again maybe even after next years midterms. If either party wants to end the filibuster when they are the majority so be it just be aware it wont be reinstated when you are the minority.

Also, unless Manchin and Sinema buy in, it doesn't matter what this senator does or does not do. I wasn't aware that any other Democrats were even in doubt.

Fine while he is reassing he would be wise to factor into that reassessment that the Democrats will be the minority in the Senate again maybe even after next years midterms. If either party wants to end the filibuster when they are the majority so be it just be aware it wont be reinstated when you are the minority.
That's why I assumed they'd do this as a way of ramming through "election reform". It would be a means to the end of keeping their majority forever. It would be seen as nothing less than a coup and it will cause violence.

That's why I assumed they'd do this as a way of ramming through "election reform". It would be a means to the end of keeping their majority forever. It would be seen as nothing less than a coup and it will cause violence.
If they tried that it would be sent to the courts where it would most likely end up at the Supreme Court where they would again most likely lose. The other bad news for them is there are at least two Democratic Senators that have the common sense not to go down this road.

Also, unless Manchin and Sinema buy in, it doesn't matter what this senator does or does not do. I wasn't aware that any other Democrats were even in doubt.
I don't buy that. At the drop of a hat, Pelosi neutralized mtg by removing all of her committee assignments. Trust me, there are ways to "push the buttons" of mancin and sinema. If the dems haven't ended the filibuster yet, it's because they don't want to.

blackhawk
Yup and the Dems love the filibuster when it suits their purposes. They better think long and hard before they touch it.

Forum List

Back