Death Penalty - Ratioanle and Problems

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Rationale: All criminal punishment is predicated on "an eye for an eye" (i.e., one should not be able to inflict greater harm than he receives). In modern societies, we translate this punishment "currency" into jail time and/or financial penalties. Since there is no equivalent punishment for premeditated murder, the death penalty is the only "just" punishment.

Problem: The death penalty is difficult to apply in a consistent manner and is very expensive.

Alternative: Lifetime solitary confinement?

I vote for public hangings. The sooner the better. Cut the cost of keeping criminals in jail. Hang them within 48 hours of being found guilty.

Rationale: All criminal punishment is predicated on "an eye for an eye" (i.e., one should not be able to inflict greater harm than he receives). In modern societies, we translate this punishment "currency" into jail time and/or financial penalties. Since there is no equivalent punishment for premeditated murder, the death penalty is the only "just" punishment.

Problem: The death penalty is difficult to apply in a consistent manner and is very expensive.

Alternative: Lifetime solitary confinement?

Criminal punishment also includes the component of isolating said offender from society so they cannot offend again.

To me, if you want to take the death penalty off the table, hard labor has to be brought back, and the convict should not be prevented from taking thier own life if they want to.

Forum List

Back