"Change we can believe in"

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
Sen. Barack Obama, the only major black candidate in the 2008 presidential race, has spent much of his life anguishing over his mixed-race heritage and self-described “racial obsessions.”

Descended from a white American mother and black Kenyan father, the Illinois Democrat once wrote: “He was black as pitch, my mother white as milk.”

In his first memoir, “Dreams from My Father,” Obama observed that when people discover his mixed-race heritage, they make assumptions about “the mixed blood, the divided soul, the ghostly image of the tragic mulatto trapped between two worlds.”

Indeed, Obama acknowledges feeling tormented for much of his life by “the constant, crippling fear that I didn't belong somehow, that unless I dodged and hid and pretended to be something I wasn't, I would forever remain an outsider, with the rest of the world, black and white, always standing in judgment.”

Obama's views on race are certain to be an issue in the upcoming presidential campaign, according to Princeton University professor Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who specializes in African-American politics.

“There’s no question that race and all the permutations that it’s going to take for Obama are going to be central issues,” she predicted.

Although Obama was raised by his mother, he identified more closely with the race of his father, who left the family when Obama was 2.

“I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites,” he wrote.

Yet, even through high school, he continued to vacillate between the twin strands of his racial identity.

“I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds,” he wrote in “Dreams.” “One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved — such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time.”

Although Obama spent various portions of his youth living with his white maternal grandfather and Indonesian stepfather, he vowed that he would “never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father’s image, the black man, son of Africa, that I’d packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.”

Obama wrote that in high school, he and a black friend would sometimes speak disparagingly “about white folks this or white folks that, and I would suddenly remember my mother's smile, and the words that I spoke would seem awkward and false.”

As a result, he concluded that “certain whites could be excluded from the general category of our distrust.”

Donna Brazile, who managed former Vice President Al Gore’s presidential campaign in 2000, said Obama's feelings of distrust toward most whites and doubts about himself are fairly typical for black Americans.

“He was a young man trying to discover, trying to accept, trying to come to grips with his background,” she explained. “In the process, he had to really make some statements that are hurtful, maybe. But I think they're more insightful than anything.”

During college, Obama disapproved of what he called other “half-breeds” who gravitated toward whites instead of blacks. And yet after college, he once fell in love with a white woman, only to push her away when he concluded he would have to assimilate into her world, not the other way around. He later married a black woman.

Such candid racial revelations abound in “Dreams,” which was first published in 1995, when Obama was 34 and not yet in politics. By the time he ran for his Senate seat in 2004, he observed of that first memoir: “Certain passages have proven to be inconvenient politically.”

Thus, in his second memoir, “The Audacity of Hope,” which was published last year, Obama adopted a more conciliatory, even upbeat tone when discussing race. Noting his multiracial family, he wrote in the new book: “I’ve never had the option of restricting my loyalties on the basis of race, or measuring my worth on the basis of tribe.”

This appears to contradict certain passages in his first memoir, including a description of black student life at Occidental College in Los Angeles.

“There were enough of us on campus to constitute a tribe, and when it came to hanging out many of us chose to function like a tribe, staying close together, traveling in packs,” he wrote. “It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.”

He added: “To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists.”

Obama said he and other blacks were careful not to second-guess their own racial identity in front of whites.

“To admit our doubt and confusion to whites, to open up our psyches to general examination by those who had caused so much of the damage in the first place, seemed ludicrous, itself an expression of self-hatred,” he wrote.

After his sophomore year, Obama transferred to Columbia University. Later, looking back on his years in New York City, he recalled: “I had grown accustomed, everywhere, to suspicions between the races.”

His pessimism about race relations seemed to pervade his worldview.

“The emotion between the races could never be pure,” he laments in “Dreams.” “Even love was tarnished by the desire to find in the other some element that was missing in ourselves. Whether we sought out our demons or salvation, the other race would always remain just that: menacing, alien, and apart.”

After graduating from college, Obama eventually went to Chicago to interview for a job as a community organizer. His racial attitudes came into play as he sized up the man who would become his boss.

“There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama wrote. “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

Harris-Lacewell said such expressions of distrust toward whites will not hurt Obama in the Democratic presidential primaries, which are dominated by liberal voters.

“To win the Democratic nomination, he's got to get a part of the progressive, anti-war, white folks,” she said. “And those white folks tend to be suspicious of any black person who wouldn’t be suspicious of white people.”

Such liberals would have little basis for suspicion after reading some of Obama’s conclusions about the white race, which he once described as “that ghostly figure that haunted black dreams.”

“That hate hadn't gone away,” he wrote, blaming “white people — some cruel, some ignorant, sometimes a single face, sometimes just a faceless image of a system claiming power over our lives.”

Obama’s racial suspicions were not always limited to whites. For example, after making his first visit to Kenya, he wrote of being disappointed to learn that his paternal grandfather had been a servant to rich whites.

He wrote in “Dreams” that the revelation caused “ugly words to flash across my mind. Uncle Tom. Collaborator. House ******.”

Such blunt and provocative observations about race are largely absent from Obama’s second memoir.

“I have witnessed a profound shift in race relations in my lifetime,” he wrote in “Audacity.” “I insist that things have gotten better.”

An adolescent confrontation

Barack Obama recalls punching out the “first boy” who “called me a coon” in seventh grade.

“I gave him a bloody nose,” Obama wrote in his first memoir, “Dreams from My Father.”

“Why’dya do that?” the boy said through “tears of surprise,” according to Obama.

It was not the first time young Obama would be subjected to racial slurs. He recalled an assistant basketball coach in high school referring to a group of black men as “*******.”

“I told him — with a fury that surprised even me — to shut up,” Obama wrote.

“There are black people, and there are *******,” the coach explained, according to Obama. “Those guys were *******.”

Obama answered with contempt.

“'There are white folks and then there are ignorant motherf---ers like you,’ I had finally told the coach before walking off the court,” he wrote.

http://www.examiner.com/a-536474~_Trapped_between_two_worlds_.html

Can we change? "Yes we Can"

Yet, 'Barry's' memories may have been a tad different than what people are reading into it, note the date of the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-070325obama-youth-story,1,7937142,full.story

The not-so-simple story of Barack Obama's youth
Shaped by different worlds, an outsider found ways to fit in

By Kirsten Scharnberg and Kim Barker

Tribune correspondents

March 25, 2007

HONOLULU

The life stories, when the presidential candidate tells them, have a common theme: the quest to belong.

A boy wants to find his place in a family where he is visibly different: chubby where others are thin, dark where others are light.

A youth living in a distant land searches and finds new friends, a new language and a heartbreaking lesson about his identity in the pages of an American magazine.

A young black man struggles for acceptance at an institution of privilege, where he finds himself growing so angry and disillusioned at the world around him that he turns to alcohol and drugs.

These have been the stories told about the first two character-shaping decades of U.S. Sen. Barack Obama's life, a story line largely shaped by his own best-selling memoir, political speeches and interviews.

But the reality of Obama's narrative is not that simple.

More than 40 interviews with former classmates, teachers, friends and neighbors in his childhood homes of Hawaii and Indonesia, as well as a review of public records, show the arc of Obama's personal journey took him to places and situations far removed from the experience of most Americans.

At the same time, several of his oft-recited stories may not have happened in the way he has recounted them. Some seem to make Obama look better in the retelling, others appear to exaggerate his outward struggles over issues of race, or simply skim over some of the most painful, private moments of his life....

Oh, I dunno, Kathianne, perhaps we should have put Bush's little story about being a pretend soldier to as much scrutiny as people seem to be doing with anything Obama says and does.

The right must still really be afraid of him.

Oh, I dunno, Kathianne, perhaps we should have put Bush's little story about being a pretend soldier to as much scrutiny as people seem to be doing with anything Obama says and does.

The right must still really be afraid of him.

If memory serves a rather well known anchor lost his job for running with false information to do what your diversion is questioning.

The Chicago papers wrote on Obama's church long ago, one is left to wonder indeed why only Rolling Stone at least bothered to look into it, though not deeply, instead focusing on his support 'Chicago's black community.' While perhaps the timing of the scrutiny can be laid on the Clinton campaign, the fact is the media was ignoring this for a long time.

I mentioned to NATOAIR long ago that if Obama entered the presidential race, that the Chicago articles regarding both Rezko and the church would come to light, eventually-I thought during the general election if he made it that far. His state legislator record has yet to be scrutinized, my guess is it will be, beyond his 'present' votes.

Truth to tell, it may not just be Obama, but any Illinois politician right now, our state is so corrupt, especially Cook County, that nearly any viable Illinois politician is bound to be 'connected.'

The story was always true, Kathianne. It was the one document that was bad.

But, like I said, when anyone talked about Bush the right yelled

"PROOF?!?!?!?!" and looked for evidence that would only be "beyond a reasonable doubt" even by court standards.

I figure they should be as diligent about protecting Obama from rumors. Don't you?

"PROOF?!?!?!?!" and looked for evidence that would only be "beyond a reasonable doubt" even by court standards.

I figure they should be as diligent about protecting Obama from rumors. Don't you?

I've not seen anything that convinced me regarding the Bush story. On the other hand, the local coverage on Obama really began with the Senate run, when the presidency run would have been thought to be 2012 at the earliest. As I've posted, I find his ties to the minister along the same road as Paul's 'supporters', disgraceful and not what I want in my president. That's my opinion, lots of Paul supporters thought I was wrong in slamming him for his *supporters* and *former employees* and disbelieving his *ignorance* of the contents of newsletters written in his name, from which he earned substantial profits.

I've not seen anything that convinced me regarding the Bush story. On the other hand, the local coverage on Obama really began with the Senate run, when the presidency run would have been thought to be 2012 at the earliest. As I've posted, I find his ties to the minister along the same road as Paul's 'supporters', disgraceful and not what I want in my president. That's my opinion, lots of Paul supporters thought I was wrong in slamming him for his *supporters* and *former employees* and disbelieving his *ignorance* of the contents of newsletters written in his name, from which he earned substantial profits.

Then I'd suggest you chose not to believe the Bush story.

I'm interested in hearing more about what Obama says on the subject, but you know, sometimes we love people who's ideas are really OTT. There's just one issue I'd like to hear Obama address a little more directly., but the smear campaign by the right, first over his name, then lies about his religion, now over this, suggest a far more desperate effort to use every possible means to besmirch him.

I figure we're entitled to at least the same level of proof as what has been in the white house for the past 7 years.

Then I'd suggest you chose not to believe the Bush story.

I'm interested in hearing more about what Obama says on the subject, but you know, sometimes we love people who's ideas are really OTT. There's just one issue I'd like to hear Obama address a little more directly., but the smear campaign by the right, first over his name, then lies about his religion, now over this, suggest a far more desperate effort to use every possible means to besmirch him.

I figure we're entitled to at least the same level of proof as what has been in the white house for the past 7 years.

At this point in time, whether or not I believe the Bush rumors doesn't matter, he's done. I don't like may of the things he's done or the way he's performed some strategies involved with policies I agreed with. He's done, he's not the story anymore.

As for Obama, you are welcome to your decision, based on whatever you judge to be important, as we all are. :thup:

At this point in time, whether or not I believe the Bush rumors doesn't matter, he's done. I don't like may of the things he's done or the way he's performed some strategies involved with policies I agreed with. He's done, he's not the story anymore.

As for Obama, you are welcome to your decision, based on whatever you judge to be important, as we all are. :thup:

He's not the story anymore. But I'd think all the people who demanded proof of everything he and Cheney ever did (while ignoring all available proof) really need to not set a different standard for the other "side".

I know that. And I don't think I said I was voting for him. But nor do I think the smear tactics of the right, which started with email lies about his religion, are anything less than reprehensible.

He's not the story anymore. But I'd think all the people who demanded proof of everything he and Cheney ever did (while ignoring all available proof) really need to not set a different standard for the other "side".

I know that. And I don't think I said I was voting for him. But nor do I think the smear tactics of the right, which started with email lies about his religion, are anything less than reprehensible.

I don't think the story on the church was outed by the right, I've already heard Obama speak regarding the Clinton's. As for the Muslim tie via name/father, that I'm quite sure was Clinton and the right. Then again, that's politics-not much 'there' there. For the record, when I've seen posts trying to say he's Muslim, I point out where he's not. Funny thing, while I've always thought him 'Christian' I find his choice of Christian mentor disturbing and did before he announced for the race.

I think he chose the church for pragmatic reasons, it's one of the most popular in Chicago for blacks. Considering both his parentage, background, education, he had a hard time being accepted in Chicago's black community. He lost to Rush a couple times.

Are you serious, you demand more proof, I would direct you to the "Bush Lied" thread? This is clear, on the other hand, his first book hasn't been used as of yet, to connect his pastor's statements as his own. But this story is largely based on his book, 'My Father's Dream', which are his own words.

Expect more and more racial crap fromt he right as Obama becomes closer to the nomination.

It's their way. Remember when McCain was slimed in the push polls in South Carolina that he had a black daughter. You can can expect the "******' word to surface from the the far right. Then the RNC will deny and decry it use, but will use it for traction. We already see some of the brain dead thinking that because a man's middle name is Hussein, he must be a bad Arab. Then the pin head with the over moussed white hair says what's wrong with using a middle name? Even though the dumb shit doesn't normally use middle names.

Look at the Republican Dais when they have important meetings. They are still the Party of the Dixiecrats that Nixon helped form.

If you dare criticize their candidate, then they scream and rage. And they are very good at that.

You are right. The letter was forged and probably fed to the news by the right. The facts were true. But what an excellent piece of political take your eyes off the real issue. Get someone fired for reading forged documents that were true and then the true believer also believe the facts were forged.

They are good at this. Very very good. It's too bad that the Cllintons have started also to use the Rove RNC book of shit.

Expect more and more racial crap fromt he right as Obama becomes closer to the nomination.

It's their way. Remember when McCain was slimed in the push polls in South Carolina that he had a black daughter. You can can expect the "******' word to surface from the the far right. Then the RNC will deny and decry it use, but will use it for traction. We already see some of the brain dead thinking that because a man's middle name is Hussein, he must be a bad Arab. Then the pin head with the over moussed white hair says what's wrong with using a middle name? Even though the dumb shit doesn't normally use middle names.

Look at the Republican Dais when they have important meetings. They are still the Party of the Dixiecrats that Nixon helped form.

If you dare criticize their candidate, then they scream and rage. And they are very good at that.

You are right. The letter was forged and probably fed to the news by the right. The facts were true. But what an excellent piece of political take your eyes off the real issue. Get someone fired for reading forged documents that were true and then the true believer also believe the facts were forged.

They are good at this. Very very good. It's too bad that the Cllintons have started also to use the Rove RNC book of shit.
Oh man, and Jillian thought I was making something out of whole cloth. :rofl: :rofl:

I don't think the story on the church was outed by the right, I've already heard Obama speak regarding the Clinton's. As for the Muslim tie via name/father, that I'm quite sure was Clinton and the right. Then again, that's politics-not much 'there' there. For the record, when I've seen posts trying to say he's Muslim, I point out where he's not. Funny thing, while I've always thought him 'Christian' I find his choice of Christian mentor disturbing and did before he announced for the race.

I think he chose the church for pragmatic reasons, it's one of the most popular in Chicago for blacks. Considering both his parentage, background, education, he had a hard time being accepted in Chicago's black community. He lost to Rush a couple times.

What I said above:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MWQ1MjIzZDU4OWM2YTY0ZjYyMzA4ZjA4M2I3Y2Y5YmM=

Barak, Church and State [Lisa Schiffren]

Call me a cynic, but here's my guess about how Senator Obama came to join Pastor Wright's church — and stay for 20 years. Obama, as we all know, was brought up by his free-spirit, actively atheistic mom, and her two Muslim husbands. He got to Harvard on his intellect and his prescient abilities to navigate the system. He got to head the law review because he managed to convince all sides in the ideological conflict there that he was, if not sympathetic, at least fair. In part he did this by advocating no real views of his own. Nothing in his education would have made a conversion to Christianity a particularly natural evolution.

Then Obama became a community organizer in the black slums of South Chicago. A minister he met through work pointed out that, if he wanted to be an influence for good among the denizens of the neighborhood he should be seen at church every now and then. So he picked the biggest church, with the most famous, most locally influential pastor — and the largest congregation — he could find. That is what anyone contemplating elective office, with no tie to a particular stripe of faith would do. Bright and ambitious as he is, I bet he realized that Wright's church was a good place to learn how to be what his future constituents would want him to be. How to 'talk the talk' — in ways he might not have learned in Hawaii, at Harvard or at Sidley Austin. ...

I think that the only side that has used the 'N-word' is Obama's people. Also the Republicans are the party of Lincoln, LBJ who did more for civil rights than any Democrat. It is an issue when someone's long term pastor makes those inflammatory comments, about race and about one's own country.

The story was true and has yet to be proven false. The argument was the fonts were wrong which could have happened if some scanned the originals into more modern applications. There is no argument Bush was a 'draft dodger' to my generation. Only a blind partisan unaware of those times can arrive at any other conclusion.

Obama's views on race are certain to be an issue in the upcoming presidential campaign, according to Princeton University professor Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who specializes in African-American politics.

“There’s no question that race and all the permutations that it’s going to take for Obama are going to be central issues,” she predicted.

The American electorate - this professor included - must take stupid pills every so often as the complete failure of Republican governance should be one of the central issues and race not at all.

The story was true and has yet to be proven false. The argument was the fonts were wrong which could have happened if some scanned the originals into more modern applications. There is no argument Bush was a 'draft dodger' to my generation. Only a blind partisan unaware of those times can arrive at any other conclusion.

I agree with your facts, but not the "draft dodger" conclusion.

But he certainly chose his "service" didn't he?

I wonder how far the military guys on this site would have gotten in their lives if they blew off their physical and got tossed from the military.

Oh right, GHWB's son didn't *get* tossed, did he?

Hmmmmmmmmm... yep, I'm sure any of the military guys here would have gotten the same treatment. Yep.. sure they would have.

Wrong, another bald faced lie by you and the left.

As for Jillian, I can not believe a LAWYER is arguing that a forgery is some how proof of anything. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE the claim was true. The claim had to wait to be made until AFTER all the parties involved except the President were dead. And it was somehow in the hands of an ARMY National Guard Officer that just happened to be a disgruntled failed officer.

You know how hard it is to be FORCED out of the Guard?

The letter claimed that the Lt Col in command of Bush was brow beat into giving him good marks. It was supposedly done by a General that had RETIRED over a year before the letter was written. Further the wife and son of the Lt Col specifically REMEMBER that the Lt Col LIKED Bush and SPOKE to them HIGHLY of him.

Lets see, who to believe? If your a partisan Liberal Bush hater you believe a forgery, a known liar and a partisan old woman. If your a sane person you would believe the Family of the officer, since he would HAVE NO REASON to LIE to them.

I agree with your facts, but not the "draft dodger" conclusion.

But he certainly chose his "service" didn't he?

I wonder how far the military guys on this site would have gotten in their lives if they blew off their physical and got tossed from the military.

Oh right, GHWB's son didn't *get* tossed, did he?

Hmmmmmmmmm... yep, I'm sure any of the military guys here would have gotten the same treatment. Yep.. sure they would have.

What the heck, does Bush have to do with Obama's racist comments? Bush isn't running for President, I thought you knew that. He had to answer those questions when he ran for President, well he's not running now. Now it's time that Obama have to answer his questions regarding racism.

Forum List

Back