Canada Pays $834,000 to Cull 84 Deer

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
That’s about the number of deer that I could shoot from my back porch in a month if I wanted.

About 84 deer were killed as part of a controversial Sidney Island deer cull that involved marksmen shooting from a helicopter, says Parks Canada.

The goal is to restore the natural ecosystem on the island, located just off Sidney, after years of grazing by the invasive fallow deer, with an estimated current population of a few hundred animals.

The eradication is part of a nearly $6-million multi-year project to restore the Coast Douglas-fir forest ecosystem on the nine-square kilometre island.

The cost of the first phase, which includes the helicopter and marksmen from the U.S. and New Zealand, is about $834,000, said Parks Canada.

That’s about the number of deer that I could shoot from my back porch in a month if I wanted.

About 84 deer were killed as part of a controversial Sidney Island deer cull that involved marksmen shooting from a helicopter, says Parks Canada.

The goal is to restore the natural ecosystem on the island, located just off Sidney, after years of grazing by the invasive fallow deer, with an estimated current population of a few hundred animals.

The eradication is part of a nearly $6-million multi-year project to restore the Coast Douglas-fir forest ecosystem on the nine-square kilometre island.

The cost of the first phase, which includes the helicopter and marksmen from the U.S. and New Zealand, is about $834,000, said Parks Canada.

I see, so you do admit to illegally hunting deer.

It would have been even cheaper to sell licences and tags to acyual hunters. Same result but taking in money instead of spending it.

How could you illegally hunt food?

Is that like illegal grocery shopping? Or illegal vegetable gardening?

Well, there ARE regulations, including seasons for deer hunting. If you hunt out of season, it is illegal. Regardless of what you do with the animal after.

Decades ago, I was staying at a ski resort in WV and got to chatting with an Asian resort employee who told me he works there just for the deer hunting. He had bagged 16 for the season at that point. I didn`t ask what he did with that many deer. Some things are better left unknown.

They have malnutrition also.

They don't appear to have ever skipped a meal in their lives...

GettyImages-1240862440-382cfd6b844b47209aa5024d7a991417.jpg

Forum List

Back