California could ban decaf coffee

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Yeah, I know de-caf is offensive to the taste buds but damn....Just slap a prop 65 warning on it like every other product sold in the state and call it a day.

LOL....I'm sure Californians feel safer already.

CA lawmakers are seeking to ban decaffeinated coffee or force companies to change their recipes to remove a chemical linked to cancer.

The majority of decaffeinated coffees are made using methylene chloride, also found in paint stripper, which is used to remove caffeine from the coffee beans during the manufacturing process.

Both the EPA and International Agency for Research on have labeled methylene chloride as a 'probable carcinogen', after studies in the blood, breasts and other parts of the body.

moonbats....

Ban.jpg

Yeah, I know de-caf is offensive to the taste buds but damn....Just slap a prop 65 warning on it like every other product sold in the state and call it a day.

CA lawmakers are seeking to ban decaffeinated coffee or force companies to change their recipes to remove a chemical linked to cancer.

The majority of decaffeinated coffees are made using methylene chloride, also found in paint stripper, which is used to remove caffeine from the coffee beans during the manufacturing process.

Both the EPA and International Agency for Research on have labeled methylene chloride as a 'probable carcinogen', after studies in the blood, breasts and other parts of the body.
So why do you want to consume methylene chloride?

Methylene Chloride is used in the food and beverage manufacturing industry as a food additive to process spices, remove caffeine from unroasted coffee beans and tea, and creating hops extract for beer and other flavorings for the food and beverage industries. Methylene Chloride can act as a fumigant for strawberries and grains, a de-greener for citrus fruits, coffee solvent extraction, cocoa solvent extraction, and spice solvent extraction. It is also used as a diluent for color additives and inks for the marking fruit and vegetables.

Why do you hate beer?

Methylene Chloride is used in the food and beverage manufacturing industry as a food additive to process spices, remove caffeine from unroasted coffee beans and tea, and creating hops extract for beer and other flavorings for the food and beverage industries. Methylene Chloride can act as a fumigant for strawberries and grains, a de-greener for citrus fruits, coffee solvent extraction, cocoa solvent extraction, and spice solvent extraction. It is also used as a diluent for color additives and inks for the marking fruit and vegetables.

Why do you hate beer?
Your own link says methylene Chloride is linked to cancer. What is wrong with finding a subsitute?
I don‘t hate beer, I hate cancer.

There is paint stripper in orange juice.

5:1 odds that his is the same crap they pulled with sodium cyclamate: you'd need to drink 30 cans of soda a day to get the exposure high enough to be carcinogenic.
The quantity required is over 60,000 cups of decaf to reach the maximum allowable daily exposure in pharmaceutical excipients, when compared to a single day's intake and that is still in the safe zone - no cancer risk.

See the report filed with the FDA. (see https://downloads.regulations.gov/FDA-2023-F-5684-0062/attachment_1.pdf)

If methylene chloride gets banned, it'll be difficult for authorities to justify not banning alcohol and tobacco, considering these substances are classified as Group 1 human carcinogens, whereas methylene chloride is not even in Group 2A (probable human carcinogen). It resides in Group 2B (possible human carcinogen).

If this California Ban is adopted, then repeat these 4 words as 3 words and you'll catch my drift. "Whale Oil (Beef-Hooked)"

Consume methylene chloride? Let's do the math. Limits of 10 ppm in the ground coffee. Studies have shown that only 1% can migrate from the grounds to the cup when brewing amounting to 0.1 ppm or 100 ppb. Regulatory agencies monitor the presence of contaminants in food and they have a list of foods that have methylene chloride contaminants. Of the foods contaminated with methylene chloride chocolate chip cookies contained 1.6 ppb while roasted coffee contained 4.6 ppb. Applying the 1% rule to 4.6 ppb yields a potential exposure of 0.046 ppb or 46 ppt.

Potential lifetime exposure of consuming 3 cups of decaf a day for 70 years would be 0.04 mg or less than one half of one grain of table salt.

Potential single lethal dose of fentanyl is 2 mg which is 50 times higher than a lifetime of potential exposure to methylene chloride in decaffeinated coffee.

Don't be fooled by "Sensational Headline". Chemicals are the reason we live longer today. It's all about the dose not the chemical. Even plutonium has a dose that is not harmful to human health.

The biggest farce today is the "Chemical-Free" claims. Simply impossible. The only thing that is chemical free is "nothing"!

Forum List

Back