Boise radio station triggers ‘unhinged’ listeners with Pride flag — has 377,000 likes

metalwolf

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2020

As a classic rock station, 96.9 The Eagle is imprisoned in a time machine. Its playlist gravitates to bands that released albums on 8-track tapes and made the cover of Hit Parader magazine. Its website displays photos of “Rock Girls” posing seductively next to classic cars. Weekday mornings, its airwaves are filled with the cackling “Bob & Tom Show,” a syndicated comedy program so ancient that “Bob” retired seven years ago.

But from one unusual perspective, The Eagle acts modern. Progressively so. Come late spring, KKGL-FM unveils a custom version of its station logo on Facebook. The familiar bald-eagle head is overlaid on a Pride flag, in support of the LGBTQ community. The rainbow-colored transformation coincides with Pride month, celebrated internationally each June.

I also liked this what they wrote on their FB page.

"
“Flag stays up for another month, deal with it,” The Eagle wrote on Facebook. “If we keep getting harassed, then it will go another month. Plus, Freddie Mercury rules.”"

Last edited:
Radio stunt? Publicity grab? Are they now milking this? Or is this a heartfelt gesture from a caring, socially progressive local staff? I wish I could tell you. It’s a mystery. The Eagle’s corporate owner, Cumulus Media — whose slogan, ironically, is “Where every voice matters” — refused an interview request. (So the station does have at least one other modern aspect, albeit a sad one.) Exactly how much outrage does the Pride support really generate? Are there also phone calls? Emails?

As a classic rock station, 96.9 The Eagle is imprisoned in a time machine. Its playlist gravitates to bands that released albums on 8-track tapes and made the cover of Hit Parader magazine. Its website displays photos of “Rock Girls” posing seductively next to classic cars. Weekday mornings, its airwaves are filled with the cackling “Bob & Tom Show,” a syndicated comedy program so ancient that “Bob” retired seven years ago.

But from one unusual perspective, The Eagle acts modern. Progressively so. Come late spring, KKGL-FM unveils a custom version of its station logo on Facebook. The familiar bald-eagle head is overlaid on a Pride flag, in support of the LGBTQ community. The rainbow-colored transformation coincides with Pride month, celebrated internationally each June.

I also liked this what they wrote on their FB page.

"
“Flag stays up for another month, deal with it,” The Eagle wrote on Facebook. “If we keep getting harassed, then it will go another month. Plus, Freddie Mercury rules.”"

Hundreds of thousands of bots like your putrid flag; so what?

The only thing that I can say is that blowing out one candle will never make another one shine brighter. In other words, the only thing that a person should really be doing is focusing on their own flame and no one else's.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back