Biden Administration Tosses Out 2017 Trump-Era Rule That Allowed Big Oil to Kill Birds

Best estimate of turbine bird deaths per year in the United States is under 3 million ... compared to 30 million death from overhead power lines ... we measure bird deaths from house cats as closer to 300 million ...

Complaining about blade-strikes is disingenuous or ill-informed ...

Those estimates are made up horse shit. The bird deaths from cats was a guesstimate from 2 million to 58 million. That guess is so wide as to be useless.

It also doesn't matter. It's the type of bird being killed. Raptors are rare and the top of the bird pyramid. Bats are one of the primary insect controls. THOSE are victims of windmills. The other birds are common as dirt.

You want wind farms which kill rare raptors. They get a special dispensation for killing the birds. Wherever they are they decimate raptor and bat populations so spare us your faux concern.
Chill, dude.

No, I like raptors, I watched the Altamont pass population be destroyed. There is no justification for windfarms. They never produce what they claim and they destroy bird and bat populations that are critical to the environment.

The place used to be strongly opposed by environmentalists back in the 1970's, today their objection to wind power are tepid and hypocritical.

Does no such thing .......sounds like a lie to salve your conscience....see two can play.

Would you rather a windstorm knock down 50 wind turbines in your neighborhood ... or a 24 inch oil pipeline rupture? ... go ahead, I dare you to say a million gallons of crude is better than twisted metal ... let's see just how ill-informed you are ...
One is necessary ..one is not and if MI Gov shuts hers down you'll find out just how necessary they are

You want wind farms which kill rare raptors. They get a special dispensation for killing the birds. Wherever they are they decimate raptor and bat populations so spare us your faux concern.
Chill, dude.

No, I like raptors, I watched the Altamont pass population be destroyed. There is no justification for windfarms. They never produce what they claim and they destroy bird and bat populations that are critical to the environment.
Bro, windfarms are built in the desert in Arizona and Utah and stuff. What you're talking about is not true.

Chill, dude.

Bro, windfarms are built in the desert in Arizona and Utah and stuff. What you're talking about is not true.

They build them along avian highways. Do some research of your own. Go to bird watching groups. Their info is far more accurate.

Chill, dude.

They build them along avian highways. Do some research of your own. Go to bird watching groups. Their info is far more accurate.
Okay maybe I will!!

Chill, dude.

Okay maybe I will!!

Please do. Bird groups care about birds. They don't lie, they accurately report what they observe. They are a far better resource for real data than any scientist out there.

Good scientist's use their data for calculations.

One is necessary ..one is not and if MI Gov shuts hers down you'll find out just how necessary they are

Moving the goalposts? ... since we agree that oil pipelines are more dangerous ...

Yes, the pipelines are necessary ... no argument from me on that point ... I could convert to electric heat and an electric car, have the hydroturbines grind up fish and spew bouillabaisse out the penstocks ... however, I choose to use less energy ... conservation saves money ...

FUCK the raptors ... is a filthy vulture by any other name any less fowl ... they'll shit in your open mouth and laugh, bastards ...

Moving the goalposts? ... since we agree that oil pipelines are more dangerous ...

Yes, the pipelines are necessary ... no argument from me on that point ... I could convert to electric heat and an electric car, have the hydroturbines grind up fish and spew bouillabaisse out the penstocks ... however, I choose to use less energy ... conservation saves money ...

FUCK the raptors ... is a filthy vulture by any other name any less fowl ... they'll shit in your open mouth and laugh, bastards ...

Oil pipelines are far less dangerous. In terms of oil moved per accident compared to any other method they are orders of magnitude safer. The raptors help keep the vermin under control. You should learn more about ecology than you apparently do.

Oil pipelines are far less dangerous. In terms of oil moved per accident compared to any other method they are orders of magnitude safer. The raptors help keep the vermin under control. You should learn more about ecology than you apparently do.

Yeah ... right ...

Your post #41 "Raptors are rare" ... your post #49 "The raptors help keep the vermin under control" ... hypocrite ...

Yeah ... right ...

Your post #41 "Raptors are rare" ... your post #49 "The raptors help keep the vermin under control" ... hypocrite ...

The pipeline failed BECAUSE of human screw ups.

Investigation
After a three-year investigation, investigators pointed to a series of failures, and not just a single error, most of which were the fault of Olympic Pipeline. Olympic Pipeline had failed to properly train employees, and had to contend with a faulty computer SCADA system and pressure relief valve. In 1994, five years before the accident, an IMCO Construction crew, working on behalf of the City of Bellingham, damaged the pipeline while constructing the city's water treatment plant, and Olympic Pipeline had failed to find or repair the damage.[2]

Olympic, Equilon and several employees faced a seven count indictment after the investigation in 2002. The companies pleaded guilty to several of the charges, leading to a $112 million settlement, a record at the time. This was the first conviction against a pipeline company under the 1979 Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Safety Act.

This is ONE human based pipeline failure you post, that is all you have?

You failed to address his statement:

"Oil pipelines are far less dangerous. In terms of oil moved per accident compared to any other method they are orders of magnitude safer."

:oops-28:

The Biden administration scrapped a controversial Trump-era legal opinion that gutted protections for hundreds of species of migratory birds.

In December 2017, Daniel Jorjani, then the top lawyer at the Department of the Interior and a former longtime adviser to the fossil fuel mogul Koch brothers, issued an interpretation of the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) that effectively legalized all unintentional migratory bird deaths, including those caused by chemical spills, oil and gas operations, power lines and wind turbines.

Jorjani argued that the law was only meant to prohibit the intentional hunting, capturing or killing of bird species, and that as long as a company or individual does not mean to kill birds, they are protected from prosecution.

Under the 100-year-old conservation law, it is illegal to pursue, hunt, capture, kill or possess migratory birds or their parts without proper permits. And since the 1970s, the federal government has occasionally prosecuted timber, fossil fuel and mining companies for unintentional but often avoidable bird deaths caused by industrial activity.

If you don't know the background, the Trump Administration was terrible for the environment and animal rights. He gutted the Endangered Species Act, torched the EPA, and also did the above to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act from the days of Roosevelt and conservationist bird lovers. Today marks a good day for animal rights and the rule of law against big business.

EDIT: Everything in italics is from the article, not me. "Gutted" is their word not mine.
Is that fair? Windmills kill birds every day unless they are frozen. The illegitimate nitwit.

The Biden administration scrapped a controversial Trump-era legal opinion that gutted protections for hundreds of species of migratory birds.

In December 2017, Daniel Jorjani, then the top lawyer at the Department of the Interior and a former longtime adviser to the fossil fuel mogul Koch brothers, issued an interpretation of the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) that effectively legalized all unintentional migratory bird deaths, including those caused by chemical spills, oil and gas operations, power lines and wind turbines.

Jorjani argued that the law was only meant to prohibit the intentional hunting, capturing or killing of bird species, and that as long as a company or individual does not mean to kill birds, they are protected from prosecution.

Under the 100-year-old conservation law, it is illegal to pursue, hunt, capture, kill or possess migratory birds or their parts without proper permits. And since the 1970s, the federal government has occasionally prosecuted timber, fossil fuel and mining companies for unintentional but often avoidable bird deaths caused by industrial activity.

If you don't know the background, the Trump Administration was terrible for the environment and animal rights. He gutted the Endangered Species Act, torched the EPA, and also did the above to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act from the days of Roosevelt and conservationist bird lovers. Today marks a good day for animal rights and the rule of law against big business.

EDIT: Everything in italics is from the article, not me. "Gutted" is their word not mine.
Is that fair? Windmills kill birds every day unless they are frozen. The illegitimate nitwit.
No they don't.

I sure hope Big Fast Food still kill birds!

0_Bucket.png

Best estimate of turbine bird deaths per year in the United States is under 3 million ... compared to 30 million death from overhead power lines ... we measure bird deaths from house cats as closer to 300 million ...

Complaining about blade-strikes is disingenuous or ill-informed ...
How many bird deaths from oil?

Yep, it's quicker to just kill them with wind turbines!!!!

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Program | Conserving America's Birds (fws.gov)

Wind turbines take a terrible toll on birds | CFACT

How Many Birds Do Wind Turbines Really Kill? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

View attachment 466070View attachment 466071

In terms of bird fatalities, there is no comparison between wind or fossil fuel generated power. In the Sovacool study cited above, it was found that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 bird deaths per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity, whereas fossil-fuel power stations are responsible for 5.2 fatalities per GWh. According to those numbers, fossil-fuel power stations are 17 times more lethal than wind farms. At those rates, if we replaced fossil fuels with wind energy, we could potentially prevent millions of bird deaths.

What exactly does this do? How were bird being killed exactly? What will be different?

The link really didn't discuss any details about the cause of birds being killed by Big Oil or how they would stop Big Oil from killing birds. Do you know?

Yep, it's quicker to just kill them with wind turbines!!!!

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Program | Conserving America's Birds (fws.gov)

Wind turbines take a terrible toll on birds | CFACT

How Many Birds Do Wind Turbines Really Kill? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

View attachment 466070View attachment 466071

In terms of bird fatalities, there is no comparison between wind or fossil fuel generated power. In the Sovacool study cited above, it was found that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 bird deaths per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity, whereas fossil-fuel power stations are responsible for 5.2 fatalities per GWh. According to those numbers, fossil-fuel power stations are 17 times more lethal than wind farms. At those rates, if we replaced fossil fuels with wind energy, we could potentially prevent millions of bird deaths.
But the OP was aimed at oil producers (Big Oil) not electrical generators. How were oil producers killing birds exactly and what regulation is going to stop it.

Actually, when it comes to causes of death for raptors (and, btw - I agree with you on how cool they are) - wind turbines are a (relatively) minor concern - hunting, habitate destruction, and pollution as well a collisions with buildings, turbines and electrical wires (because their wing span can touch two wires at once) are all factors.

Forum List

Back