Any speculations why New York was clobbered..

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...while Los Angeles has emerged nearly unscathed?

Was it just timing? New York drew the short straw and was unlucky enough to be first?

Warmer weather or more humid climate in LA?

Serious question...anyone have a theory?

Was it just timing? New York drew the short straw and was unlucky enough to be first?

Truthfully the weather seem more likely.

It's all about cause of death.

Let's just say...deaths from heart disease...are way down since Covid showed up.

First travel ban was china and those hit the west coast. europe didn't come until later so a ton of people returned from europe to New York already exposed.

Um, because they let practically ANYONE into their state? They have LOTS of illegal aliens residing in their ONCE beautiful state, ESPECIALLY New York City, because they've been so lax about keeping out the savages and the riffraff. New York is a DEMOCRATICALLY run state, which would account for the state basically turning into one giant sh*thole. ICE isn't acknowledged in most of the state, their asshat governor AND New York City's asshat mayor both are on record saying they want to abolish ICE completely. So THERE'S your problem.

I believe it is a combination of factors. We "knew" the virus had started in Wuhan China but the Chinese, it is now believed, did not disclose when it had really started. To this date, I don't believe we know as much as we should have the instant it was known that it was loose in the environment. We cut flights from Wuhan China but we didn't know that it had started earlier and was already in Europe. With two weeks being the time you are infected but can spread the virus without symptoms, flights were still pouring into New York from all over Europe.

Bill de Blasio also refused to shut down New York sooner. Not being shut down sooner and with so many New Yorkers using public transportation, subways, buses, taxies and whatever it had two weeks to brew in those various "Petri dishes".

The people of New York City are pretty belligerent. When President Trump made his recommendation that Americans wash their hands after using the can, most NY'ers said "F- Trump, I'll do as I please"and they refused.

Further, in California, a lot more people just shit on the sidewalks. This kind of habit encourages pathogens like E Coli, Cholera, Typhus, etc. to grow and multiply. A new pathogen like Coronavirus really doesn't stand a chance among the well established pathogens in the area, and really can't take hold.

Found what I heard last week.
That two strains came to America. One from Europe that hit the East coast and the other from China that hit the West coast. Most of American cases are from Europe. According to link a total of 3 strains genomes have been identified.
Edit for another link tracking 8 strains of
Sars-Cov- 2 that cause Covid 19.

Last edited:

Partly it's the diff between sitting alone in your car for an hour stuck in LA traffic vs NY subways, taxis, buses, ferries.. And NYC is 1/2 the size and twice the population...

But MOSTLY -- it's that mental midget of a mayor in the Big Apple that probably will get recalled who around March 12th was TELLING everyone to "go out and enjoy NY"....

And Cali is a strange case.. A lot of speculation (even in the big newspapers out there) that Cali has LOWER statistics because COVID was THERE in December/January and rolled thru and got "confused" with the end of the "normal flu season"... Could BE there were a couple hundred thousand cases in Cali before MOST folks KNEW of COVID 19... See for instance ---

Missourian, I suppose the North-East Coast is the most densely populated region of our nation. Although there’s the vast less populated Adirondack forests in NY state, I suppose NY State and NY City are among, (if not the) most densely populated states, and cities in the nation.

NY city’s subway is among, (if not the) busiest subway systems in the world. Many of NY Cities subway stations are in neighborhoods of the nation’s greatest volume of foot traffic per square foot of sidewalk during both rush hours and per day.

I’ve been told when people are in Los Angeles, many of them walk no further than the distances from their cars to a building nearby.

I suppose NY’s Kennedy Airport is the highest passenger volume international airport in the nation.

Respectfully, Supposn

They've been talking about a medical Patriot Act lately.

And the economy was already gonna crash anyway. They peddled the economic distortion as long as they could. Those figures were just as cooked as the coronavirus numbers.

The singing from the windows and publicly displayed first responder salutes to medical staff have been a nice touch if you're shooting for a good public display of unity photo-op.

So, that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back