An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison

She should have married a white guy and stayed in a majority white area where this uncivilized barbaric behaviour is against the law.

Also, for arguments sake, if this woman was truly guilty of adultery, is imprisonment the right answer?

I agree with Kalam that adultery ought to be a criminal offense, but I do not think imprisonment is an appropriate penalty because it unduly punishes both the offended party-- her husband-- and her children who are dependent upon her.

If the shoe were on the other foot, imagine the hardship that would be done to a woman whose husband had been imprisoned for adultery. On top of the suffering caused by the infidelity itself, she would also be deprived of his companionship-- should she desire to salvage the marriage-- and his support.

The appropriate legal penalties for adultery should be mandatory counseling and some form of mild corporal punishment. And, of course, providing grounds for divorce for the other spouse-- except that this is no longer required in much of the West.

But I will agree with other posters on this thread that I do not think the standard of evidence used to convict Mrs. Pearce is nearly sufficient, and the criminal justice system of Dubai as it is in all traditional Muslim countries is ridiculously sexist.

Last edited:
White women are convinced life will be better if they marry non-white husbands.

Simple xenophilia. We're genetically predisposed to find people who are physically less like us sexually attractive-- it promotes exogamous mating, which is necessary for good genetic hygiene.

Whole lot of cultural factors go into why it expresses itself in the ways it does. I could probably try to post a detailed analysis... but honestly, I simply haven't thought about the matter that much. "Race" is an outdated superstition.

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison
By Angella Johnson

article-1169300-02EEEC5B000005DC-96.jpg

Marnie Pearce shuffles into the narrow, glass-fronted booth from where she greets visitors at Dubai’s Al Awir women’s jail.

Ill-fitting, dusty-pink drawstring pants and a matching shirt hang loosely on her gaunt frame – she has lost nearly a stone since being imprisoned for adultery seven weeks ago.

Despite the artful application of make-up, her once glowing complexion is pale and dry. Her face is drawn into a tight mask of despair and her long, blonde hair, which was her crowning glory, reveals prominent dark roots.

The former florist from Berkshire has become an unlikely cause celebre for human rights campaigners – Amnesty International has called for her immediate release – since her dubious conviction under draconian Sharia law.

She was sentenced to six months, cut on appeal to three, after her former husband, an Egyptian, told police she had been having an affair. And Marnie, 40, has clearly been struggling to cope with life behind bars.

Marnie and Ihab on their wedding day. Soon after they married Ihab became violent towards her, subjecting her to 'years of abuse'
She has not seen her children, Laith, eight, and Ziad, four, since she was locked up.

Marnie’s nightmare began on March 27 last year when police raided the family home in a smart suburb of Dubai. They found her inside with Brian Clark, also British, who was visiting from Saudi Arabia.

Marnie was arrested and Ihab, 41, claimed she was having an affair. The family’s Indonesian maid, whose salary he pays, gave supportive evidence.
Under strict Muslim edict, it is unlawful for a woman to be alone in her home with a man, other than her husband or a family member.

The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle.

‘Ihab set me up,’ Marnie insists, jabbing her finger as she becomes increasingly animated. ‘I did nothing wrong. He bribed the maid to spy on me and then planted used condoms as evidence.’

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison | Mail Online

Should this woman be imprisoned?

In my opinion no
BUT she should have thought of it before marrying the guy
and moving over there, its thier country thier rules none of our business.
In 6 month she can get the hell out of there and away from the guy.
when I go to another country I obey thier rules
or stay home.

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison
By Angella Johnson

Marnie Pearce shuffles into the narrow, glass-fronted booth from where she greets visitors at Dubai’s Al Awir women’s jail.

Ill-fitting, dusty-pink drawstring pants and a matching shirt hang loosely on her gaunt frame – she has lost nearly a stone since being imprisoned for adultery seven weeks ago.

Despite the artful application of make-up, her once glowing complexion is pale and dry. Her face is drawn into a tight mask of despair and her long, blonde hair, which was her crowning glory, reveals prominent dark roots.

The former florist from Berkshire has become an unlikely cause celebre for human rights campaigners – Amnesty International has called for her immediate release – since her dubious conviction under draconian Sharia law.

She was sentenced to six months, cut on appeal to three, after her former husband, an Egyptian, told police she had been having an affair. And Marnie, 40, has clearly been struggling to cope with life behind bars.

Marnie and Ihab on their wedding day. Soon after they married Ihab became violent towards her, subjecting her to 'years of abuse'
She has not seen her children, Laith, eight, and Ziad, four, since she was locked up.

Marnie’s nightmare began on March 27 last year when police raided the family home in a smart suburb of Dubai. They found her inside with Brian Clark, also British, who was visiting from Saudi Arabia.

Marnie was arrested and Ihab, 41, claimed she was having an affair. The family’s Indonesian maid, whose salary he pays, gave supportive evidence.
Under strict Muslim edict, it is unlawful for a woman to be alone in her home with a man, other than her husband or a family member.

The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle.

‘Ihab set me up,’ Marnie insists, jabbing her finger as she becomes increasingly animated. ‘I did nothing wrong. He bribed the maid to spy on me and then planted used condoms as evidence.’
'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison | Mail Online

"The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle."

Looks like she's on her way to becoming a single mother.

By Angella Johnson

"The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle."

Looks like she's on her way to becoming a single mother.

What happens between people and their relationships is a matter between them, not the state. Any state that asserts itself into private matters like this is nanny-ish and almost childish. Grow up...is the phrase that keeps reverberating in my head as I read this kindergarten crap.

I am a Christian but I am deeply saddened by the demonisation of Muslims and the frankly RACIST and ignorant nonsense some people spout about them.

so why not be a good Christian and prove your non-racism by becoming a Muslim?

I don't need to prove anything, William.

For what it's worth I'm a gypsy so I know all about racism.

I've got the greatest respect for Islam - just as I do for Judaism - but I'm a Christian because I believe Jesus Christ is my Saviour.

I am a Christian but I am deeply saddened by the demonisation of Muslims and the frankly RACIST and ignorant nonsense some people spout about them.

Muslim is not a race, it's a religion, and thus you choose to participate in it(except in certain countries where it's required by law).

Arab is a race, but Arab and Muslim are not interchangeable.

The evidence in this case is very weak and doesn't justify a guilty verdict IMO. Personally, I think adultery should be penalized but not in a criminal sense but a civil one. Those proven to be guilty of adultery should not receive any of the assets in a divorce judgement.

The evidence in this case is very weak and doesn't justify a guilty verdict IMO. Personally, I think adultery should be penalized but not in a criminal sense but a civil one. Those proven to be guilty of adultery should not receive any of the assets in a divorce judgement.

Isn't that de facto law in the states anyway?

Oh and serious question, do you think a parent guilty of adultery should be allowed to see their children?

If there WEREN'T elements of racism in the demonising of Muslims, terms like 'camel jockies,' 'rag heads' and stuff would not even be THOUGHT of, let alone used.

They are AS MUCH racist terms as calling a Jewish person a 'k...e' or a 'y.d' is.

On the question about whether or not an adulterous parent should be allowed to see their children, ignoring the fact that it's often BOTH parents who've committed adultery, the only sensible answer is of course YES.

If you care about the welfare of the children, that is.

People break up or stray for all kinds of reasons.

It doesn't mean their unfit parents or even bad people.

By the way, it reminds me of the joke about adolescence being 'the period between infancy and adultery!'

If she belongs in prison why does the man that she supposedly had this adulterous relationship with not belong in prison also?

I'm not sure if this woman was having a affair or not. but the law is the law. if you live in UAE it is against the law to cheat on one's spouse. and the husband or wife is sent to jail if they do engage in adultery. i think adultery is one of the most horrible acts one can do. and it's hurts the spouse they are with so much. they should make adultery illegal here in America or at least the cheater has to pay a fine. I would want my cheating husband to serve some time in the slammer.

I'm not sure if this woman was having a affair or not. but the law is the law. if you live in UAE it is against the law to cheat on one's spouse. and the husband or wife is sent to jail if they do engage in adultery. i think adultery is one of the most horrible acts one can do. and it's hurts the spouse they are with so much. they should make adultery illegal here in America or at least the cheater has to pay a fine. I would want my cheating husband to serve some time in the slammer.
Great post

:clap2:

Last edited:

Stupid laws are still stupid laws and to just dismiss the people it turns into criminals with 'well they shouldn't have broken the law' is moronic.

Also laws against adultery are stupid and not needed, all they do is take away our rights and give us absolutely no benefit.

I believe so, yes. Because matrimony entails financial incentives and other types of benefits from the state, violating the contract by acting adulterously should carry legal consequences.

in all countries or just this one....

All countries where married couples receive incentives, benefits, etc. from the state.

And the men? Outside of that little inequity (life is full of them), religious law does not apply to secular nations (a little something that bears repeating to the American fundamentalists), and civil law here does not carry penal repercussions for adultery. Financial, where it can be proven, yes. Prison, no.

Stupid laws are still stupid laws and to just dismiss the people it turns into criminals with 'well they shouldn't have broken the law' is moronic.

Also laws against adultery are stupid and not needed, all they do is take away our rights and give us absolutely no benefit.

just because you or I think a law is stupid doesn't make it OK to break the law. there are some immigrants who come here to America thinking that some of our laws stupid. but they still have to follow them regardless of what they think. and if they break them than they have to pay the price.

this woman was a immigrant in the UAE. when you go to the middle east or any other country you have to follow the laws and or either leave.

you obviously have never gone through the pain of being cheated on. you spend your time and attention to a person to only have them go behind your back and start a relationship with someone else. it is a crime because a person goes through mental stress.

just because you or I think a law is stupid doesn't make it OK to break the law. there are some immigrants who come here to America thinking that some of our laws stupid. but they still have to follow them regardless of what they think. and if they break them than they have to pay the price.

this woman was a immigrant in the UAE. when you go to the middle east or any other country you have to follow the laws and or either leave.

you obviously have never gone through the pain of being cheated on. you spend your time and attention to a person to only have them go behind your back and start a relationship with someone else. it is a crime because a person goes through mental stress.

Oh please, lots of things can cause mental stress including divorce, should we criminalize that next?

Oh and monogamy is very rare in nature (two animals and counting) and to make laws that go against human nature is just insane. No one's nature is going to be changed no matter what stupid laws are made.

Oh please, lots of things can cause mental stress including divorce, should we criminalize that next?

Oh and monogamy is very rare in nature (two animals and counting) and to make laws that go against human nature is just insane. No one's nature is going to be changed no matter what stupid laws are made.

well what separates us from other species is that we have something called self control. other animals also have sex with their siblings but does that make is acceptable for humans? and if a person doesn't want to be in a monogamous relationship they should be up front with the person rather than going behind their back knowing it's going to hurt their wife/husband.

and divorce is not as stressful as finding out someone stabbed you in the back. at least when going through a divorce you know what's going on. when a spouse cheating on you have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back