CDZ America Held Hostage by Radical Left?

yes it's called incitement
2917.01 Inciting to violence.

Hate speech and inciting to violence are not the same thing, so your faux legal research fails. As do most of your posts.
nothing faux about it

The ā€˜Brandenburg testā€™ for incitement to violence
In 1969, the U.S. Supreme Court made history by ruling that, to merit conviction, the violence advocated must be intended, likely and imminent. By Jeff Howard.

KKK_night_rally_in_Chicago_c1920_cph.3b12355-640x400.jpg

Altar with K eagle in black robe at a meeting of nearly 30,000 Ku Klux Klan members from Chicago and northern Illinois. (Photo by Underwood & Underwood under a Creative Commons Public Domain Licence.)
The case

Clarence Brandenburg, a 48 year-old television repair shop owner and leader of the Ku Klux Klanā€™s Ohio branch, held a rally in the summer of 1964 to articulate and celebrate his white supremacist ideology. Brandenburg proclaimed in front of local TV cameras: ā€œif our president, our Congress, our Supreme Court, continues to suppress the white, Caucasian race, itā€™s possible that there might have to be some revengeance [sic] taken.ā€ Indicating an impending Independence Day march on Washington, DC, the speech included such statements as, ā€œthe ****** should be returned to Africa, the Jew returned to Israel.ā€ While Brandenburg was not evidently armed, other Klansmen at the rally were.

Brandenburg was found guilty of violating Ohio state law, which prohibited ā€œadvocat[ing] . . . the duty, necessity, or propriety of crime, sabotage, violence, or unlawful methods of terrorism as a means of accomplishing industrial or political reform,ā€ as well as ā€œvoluntarily assembl[ing] with any society, group or assemblage of persons formed to teach or advocate the doctrines of criminal syndicalism.ā€ His penalties included a $1,000 fine and a 1-10 year prison sentence.

In a landmark judgment, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction, contending that the Ohio law affronted Brandenburgā€™s freedom of speech, protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Instead, the Court held: ā€œFreedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.ā€ Because the rally was not obviously intended to incite specific acts of violence, and because it was not likely to do so, government restriction of Brandenburgā€™s speech was unconstitutional.

Author opinion

The Supreme Court made a legally and morally compelling decision in insisting that hateful speech be permitted so long as it is not likely to cause imminent harm. In doing so, it reiterated a principle long ago argued by J.S. Mill, who wrote: ā€œAn opinion that corn dealers are starvers of the poor, or that private property is robbery, ought to be unmolested when simply circulated through the press, but may justly incur punishment when delivered orally to an excited mob assembled before the house of a corn dealer, or when handed about among the same mob in the form of a placard.ā€ So long as the rights of individual to be free from physical harm are not imminently endangered, the law ought to protect as wide a sphere of free expression as possible.

However, while it is true that the law ought to permit Klansmen to articulate their ideals, it does not follow that we ought to listen politely to their insidious messages without vigorous response. Condemnatory counter-speech is essential. We must never forget that the eponymous protagonist of the Brandenburgcasewas a white supremacist. How rich, indeed, it is for someone like him ā€“ who would have keenly destroyed the free speech protections (and much else) afforded to racial minorities were he appointed ruler ā€“ to complain that his right to advocate genocide was improperly abridged. As has been recently argued, our law on free speech must be conjoined with a robust ethic of free speech according to which we ought to criticize and condemn the enemies of civilisation who live among us.

- Jeff Howard

Hate speech and inciting to violence are not the same thing, so your faux legal research fails. As do most of your posts.
nothing faux about it

In 1969, the U.S. Supreme Court made history by ruling that, to merit conviction, the violence advocated must be intended, likely and imminent. By Jeff Howard.

Altar with K eagle in black robe at a meeting of nearly 30,000 Ku Klux Klan members from Chicago and northern Illinois. (Photo by Underwood & Underwood under a Creative Commons Public Domain Licence.)
The case

Clarence Brandenburg, a 48 year-old television repair shop owner and leader of the Ku Klux Klanā€™s Ohio branch, held a rally in the summer of 1964 to articulate and celebrate his white supremacist ideology. Brandenburg proclaimed in front of local TV cameras: ā€œif our president, our Congress, our Supreme Court, continues to suppress the white, Caucasian race, itā€™s possible that there might have to be some revengeance [sic] taken.ā€ Indicating an impending Independence Day march on Washington, DC, the speech included such statements as, ā€œthe ****** should be returned to Africa, the Jew returned to Israel.ā€ While Brandenburg was not evidently armed, other Klansmen at the rally were.

Brandenburg was found guilty of violating Ohio state law, which prohibited ā€œadvocat[ing] . . . the duty, necessity, or propriety of crime, sabotage, violence, or unlawful methods of terrorism as a means of accomplishing industrial or political reform,ā€ as well as ā€œvoluntarily assembl[ing] with any society, group or assemblage of persons formed to teach or advocate the doctrines of criminal syndicalism.ā€ His penalties included a $1,000 fine and a 1-10 year prison sentence.

In a landmark judgment, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction, contending that the Ohio law affronted Brandenburgā€™s freedom of speech, protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Instead, the Court held: ā€œFreedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.ā€ Because the rally was not obviously intended to incite specific acts of violence, and because it was not likely to do so, government restriction of Brandenburgā€™s speech was unconstitutional.

Author opinion

The Supreme Court made a legally and morally compelling decision in insisting that hateful speech be permitted so long as it is not likely to cause imminent harm. In doing so, it reiterated a principle long ago argued by J.S. Mill, who wrote: ā€œAn opinion that corn dealers are starvers of the poor, or that private property is robbery, ought to be unmolested when simply circulated through the press, but may justly incur punishment when delivered orally to an excited mob assembled before the house of a corn dealer, or when handed about among the same mob in the form of a placard.ā€ So long as the rights of individual to be free from physical harm are not imminently endangered, the law ought to protect as wide a sphere of free expression as possible.

However, while it is true that the law ought to permit Klansmen to articulate their ideals, it does not follow that we ought to listen politely to their insidious messages without vigorous response. Condemnatory counter-speech is essential. We must never forget that the eponymous protagonist of the Brandenburgcasewas a white supremacist. How rich, indeed, it is for someone like him ā€“ who would have keenly destroyed the free speech protections (and much else) afforded to racial minorities were he appointed ruler ā€“ to complain that his right to advocate genocide was improperly abridged. As has been recently argued, our law on free speech must be conjoined with a robust ethic of free speech according to which we ought to criticize and condemn the enemies of civilisation who live among us.

- Jeff Howard

You are quoting the opinion of the author (Jeff Howard), not the opinion of the Court. Pathetic.

nothing faux about it

The case

Author opinion

- Jeff Howard

You are quoting the opinion of the author (Jeff Howard), not the opinion of the Court. Pathetic.
Only the last section is his opinion , captain tiny scrotum.
The rest is law .
Who's pathetic again.
Quit while you're behind.

Because the rally was not obviously intended to incite specific acts of violence, and because it was not likely to do so, government restriction of Brandenburgā€™s speech was unconstitutional.

Just like Trump's speech...Comprende?

Attempting to blame 'the left' for for the violence and unrest at Trump's events is partisan idiocy ā€“ as the blame clearly belongs to Trump who instigates the violence with his rhetoric of bigotry and hate, and his thuggish supporters to carry it out.
So, if I express an idea (hate filled or not) and you hit me, it's my fault? I am guilty of a crime?

(A) No person shall knowingly engage in conduct designed to urge or incite another to commit any offense of violence, when either of the following apply:
(1) The conduct takes place under circumstances that create a clear and present danger that any offense of violence will be committed;

(2) The conduct proximately results in the commission of any offense of violence.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of inciting to violence. If the offense of violence that the other person is being urged or incited to commit is a misdemeanor, inciting to violence is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offense of violence that the other person is being urged or incited to commit is a felony, inciting to violence is a felony of the third degree.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996
Using this logic, anything I say that you don't like would be inciting violence. Not sure there is a single court in the land that would agree with you.

Attempting to blame 'the left' for for the violence and unrest at Trump's events is partisan idiocy ā€“ as the blame clearly belongs to Trump who instigates the violence with his rhetoric of bigotry and hate, and his thuggish supporters to carry it out.
So, if I express an idea (hate filled or not) and you hit me, it's my fault? I am guilty of a crime?

(A) No person shall knowingly engage in conduct designed to urge or incite another to commit any offense of violence, when either of the following apply:
(1) The conduct takes place under circumstances that create a clear and present danger that any offense of violence will be committed;

(2) The conduct proximately results in the commission of any offense of violence.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of inciting to violence. If the offense of violence that the other person is being urged or incited to commit is a misdemeanor, inciting to violence is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offense of violence that the other person is being urged or incited to commit is a felony, inciting to violence is a felony of the third degree.

Using this logic, anything I say that you don't like would be inciting violence. Not sure there is a single court in the land that would agree with you.
you'd be wrong.
anything you say is kind of stretching it don't you think ?

you'd be wrong.
Typical, can't even substantiate the claim. Just throws out a veiled insult. I am done with this, it is going nowhere in a hurry. Good bye.

you'd be wrong.
Typical, can't even substantiate the claim. Just throws out a veiled insult. I am done with this, it is going nowhere in a hurry. Good bye.
already did ...

I've been following this thread with intrest,and there's been alot of back and forth about responsibility. I would like to put the following forward. If I come into a bar and I call you an asshole, I get hit and I then tell the police "this guy hit me for no apperent reason" I'm being a hypocrit and a liar. Trump has insulted sofar Muslims, Mexicans, Jews, liberals, his opponents and even his allies (Christie). Why act all indignant when ppl start reacting? The way I see it, altough I don't condone violence, I know where it would come from. The point is, if you go out of your way to insult ppl, then don't be suprised that some ppl in those groups ( usually the stupid ones) will think that violence will be a solution. From seeing footage from your typical Trump rally that group doesn't lack in that catagory either, and to be all indignant about it turning violent is at best disingenuous and more likely sanctimonious.

I've been following this thread with intrest,and there's been alot of back and forth about responsibility. I would like to put the following forward. If I come into a bar and I call you an asshole, I get hit and I then tell the police "this guy hit me for no apperent reason" I'm being a hypocrit and a liar. Trump has insulted sofar Muslims, Mexicans, Jews, liberals, his opponents and even his allies (Christie). Why act all indignant when ppl start reacting? The way I see it, altough I don't condone violence, I know where it would come from. The point is, if you go out of your way to insult ppl, then don't be suprised that some ppl in those groups ( usually the stupid ones) will think that violence will be a solution. From seeing footage from your typical Trump rally that group doesn't lack in that catagory either, and to be all indignant about it turning violent is at best disingenuous and more likely sanctimonious.
bravo!
imo the trumpster has either wittingly or un wittingly given the asshats permission to do what until now, most of them would not do ..

bravo!
imo the trumpster has either wittingly or un wittingly given the asshats permission to do what until now, most of them would not do ..
sorry to tell you daws but those asshats include the protesters.You are right Trump has moved the discussion in a dangerous area true, but by reacting those ppl have taken away the only real weapon against ppl preaching hate, namely reason. As this and many threads like it have proven, it has given Trump the oppertunity to become a victim, giving him a shot with the 1 demographic he would never had had a chance with. Reasonable ppl.. Politics is not about thruth it's about perception.

bravo!
sorry to tell you daws but those asshats include the protesters.You are right Trump has moved the discussion in a dangerous area true, but by reacting those ppl have taken away the only real weapon against ppl preaching hate, namely reason. As this and many threads like it have proven, it has given Trump the oppertunity to become a victim, giving him a shot with the 1 demographic he would never had had a chance with. Reasonable ppl.. Politics is not about thruth it's about perception.
nothing to be sorry about ..
there's always enough stupidity to go round
the protesters have the right to protest, the trump supporters have the right to peaceably assemble ...neither has the right to violence but when has that ever stopped anybody.

bravo!
nothing to be sorry about ..
there's always enough stupidity to go round
the protesters have the right to protest, the trump supporters have the right to peaceably assemble ...neither has the right to violence but when has that ever stopped anybody.
Isn't that the sad and sorry thruth. In the end it's simple human nature.Ppl are scared and angry, so they run to daddy. And Trump is the ultimate daddy, strong, unappologetic, "follow me I know what to do". Historically it always works, historically it always leads to a bad place.

Blacks are leftist in America. Old slaves from start to the 60's then more fun for negro.

So who decides whether the asshats have "permission" to deny the rights of others? You?

Forum List

Back