America has become a killing field.

When the NRA attempted to bring gun safety and awareness to schools, the left had a hissy fit. Eddie Eagle would NEVER be allowed to tell THEIR kids --- "if you SEE A GUN -- find an adult"...

Such is the insurmountable opposition to actually PROMOTING gun safety in this country.

Was in the 60s that high schools still had markmanship programs and sponsored competitions in PUBLIC high schools. The perfect equalizer for the misfit geek who would never letter in basketball. AND --- a perfect way of teaching discipline and responsibility. In fact, I was a member (and then a coach) for a (non-school) junior rifle team sponsored by the Civitans. Our ammo was supplied virtually FREE courtesy of the DOD.. (Civilian Marksmanship Training Program).. THAT -- ought to make leftists really indignent... Uncle Sam GIVING free bullets to teens.. How awful..... Now as a Libertarian --- i too --- find that to be scary. But not because of fear of teens with guns. <<Grin>>

What we saw this week was evil. Because of the massive overuse of killing force against the defenseless. The same amount of damage COULD have been inflicted with a cavalry sword or a propane bomb. We really need to focus on DEFENDING AGAINST EVIL --- not on the armament that the evil choose to use. Our kids SHOULD be protected in public space. And perhaps -- a couple licensed carry permits and a deputization of those teachers volunteering for the task would have been a better equalizer.

Get off it, Flatulance. The NRA is the primary agent responsible for the proliferation of the war guns in our society.

And our right wingnuts are the ones glorifying violence. Look at the number of them with guns in their avatars.

Call me simplistic. But, maybe easy access to firearms is the cause? I have read umpteen posts on this board by obviously intelligent people afraid their right own firearms is threatened because of horrific events like this last school shooting. Their concern isn’t with much else, it seems. Too many people are obsessed with preserving the second amendment and possessing firearms than they are with safety and the health of the general public. THAT might be the real issue here. All the folks that drag their feet or totally resist removing firearms from our society in the name of freedom are a anachronism and are the cause of this type of thing. We would probably be much better off in a country that prohibited guns. That's my opinion.

so... in your perfect world, guns would be prohibited... which means that law-abiding citizens are disarmed... but of course doesn't mean that non-law-abiding persons will be disarmed...

so... how do you picture that working out... between the unarmed citizens and the armed criminal class...?

So in a perfect world, we NEED weapons to protect ourselves? Your post is is exactly what I was referring to.

Who do you think is going to protect you!

When the NRA attempted to bring gun safety and awareness to schools, the left had a hissy fit. Eddie Eagle would NEVER be allowed to tell THEIR kids --- "if you SEE A GUN -- find an adult"...

Such is the insurmountable opposition to actually PROMOTING gun safety in this country.

Was in the 60s that high schools still had markmanship programs and sponsored competitions in PUBLIC high schools. The perfect equalizer for the misfit geek who would never letter in basketball. AND --- a perfect way of teaching discipline and responsibility. In fact, I was a member (and then a coach) for a (non-school) junior rifle team sponsored by the Civitans. Our ammo was supplied virtually FREE courtesy of the DOD.. (Civilian Marksmanship Training Program).. THAT -- ought to make leftists really indignent... Uncle Sam GIVING free bullets to teens.. How awful..... Now as a Libertarian --- i too --- find that to be scary. But not because of fear of teens with guns. <<Grin>>

What we saw this week was evil. Because of the massive overuse of killing force against the defenseless. The same amount of damage COULD have been inflicted with a cavalry sword or a propane bomb. We really need to focus on DEFENDING AGAINST EVIL --- not on the armament that the evil choose to use. Our kids SHOULD be protected in public space. And perhaps -- a couple licensed carry permits and a deputization of those teachers volunteering for the task would have been a better equalizer.

Get off it, Flatulance. The NRA is the primary agent responsible for the proliferation of the war guns in our society.

And our right wingnuts are the ones glorifying violence. Look at the number of them with guns in their avatars.

WAR guns ---- PICTURES OF GUNS --- Oooooooh --- how scary..

The only thing that makes a hunting rifle an "assault weapon" is the camo paint job. Or a folding stock. Or a bayonet attachment. And the NRA has done more to take illegal guns and criminals who use them OFF THE STREET than any of your gun hating leftist heroes.

There's ONE famous leftist on the board with an AVI picture of Battle Cruiser.. You find THAT frightening as well?

Guess I&#8217;m getting old, but what has happened to America? Every couple of days, killing here killing there&#8230;Shoppers and most recently babies.

I see the primary cause as video games and TV violence promoted as entertainment. The role models of Hollywood cutthroat entertainment, is pervasive.

Guns are everywhere.

But then why do we have less violence in europe? violent video games are abound there as well and tv violence is commonplace too.

The simple answer is the availability of easy guns...I go back to my native Italy to visit, and I can tell you that family associations are very close and people actually eat lunch and diner together.

I honestly can't tell you for sure, but Hollywood is not worshipped nor are video games everywhere, and families take their young to teenage children everywhere with them, even to functions.

Last edited:
Clearly I am going to have to remake this argument in a few places so I am going to rework another post I did in one of these other threads.

All over the place on this board I am seeing people demanding gun control and making a wide veriety of claims about what we need or do not need but one thing is utterly lacking IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD: facts. I can count the number of facts used in the 10+ threads calling for gun reforms on one hand. Get educated, we have passed laws already and we have metrics to gauge their effectiveness.

First, common misinformation techniques must be addressed because you still find all kinds of false claims about higher 'death' rates with lax gin laws that are outright false. The metric we need to be looking at is homicides. Lots of people like to use 'gun' deaths but that is a rather useless term because you are not really measuring anything. That term is not fully defined and it is not as easily tracked and compared with different years as a solid statistic. I also hope that we can agree that what instrument kills the victim is irrelevant. If gun deaths are cut by 25% but knife deaths increase the same number by 50% we have not made progress. Rather, we regressed and are worse off. The real relevant information here is how many people are killed overall and whether or not stricter gun laws results in fewer deaths or crimes. That is what the gun control advocates are claiming.

Another common misinformation tactic is to compare US deaths to those on other countries. comparing international numbers is also utterly meaningless. Why, you ask. Well, that's simple. Scientific data requires that we control for other variables. Comparing US to Brittan is meaningless because there are thousands of variables that make a huge difference. Not only the proliferation of guns that already exists and the current gun laws but also things as basic as culture, diversity, population density, police forces and a host of other things would need to be accounted for. That is utterly impossible. Mexico and Switzerland can be used on the other side of the argument of Brittan and in the end we have learned nothing by doing this. How do we overcome this? Also, simple. You compare the crime rates before and after gun legislation has passed. We can do that here and in Brittan.
Gun Control - Just Facts
dc.png

Here we see a rather large spike after gun laws were strengthened and never any real decrease along with no real increase after they are removed. Washington apparently did not get the memo that homicides were supposed to decrease after they passed their law.

chicago.png

Here we have Chicago where there is no discernable difference before and after the ban. Again, we are not seeing any real positive effects here. As a matter of fact, the rate has worsened as compared to the overall rate in the country even though it has slightly decreased. Form the caption:
Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the Chicago murder rate has averaged 17% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 25% lower.

Then we can use this same tactic in measuring the effectiveness in Britton. Lets actually look at the real numbers over there as well:

england.png

Oops, even in Brittan, when we account for other factors by using their OWN crime rates, we find that gun laws have NOT reduced the homicides they have suffered. Seems we are developing a pattern here. At least Chicago seen some reduction though it was far less than the national average decrease.

Then, you could always argue, what happens when we relax gun laws. If the gun 'grabbers' were correct, crimes rate would skyrocket (or at least go up). Does that happen:
florida.png

Guess not. The homicide rate in Florida fell rather rapidly and faster than the national average. In Texas we get a similar result:

texas.png

Then there are other statistics that do matter very much like the following:
* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

&#8226; 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"
&#8226; 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"
&#8226; 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22]

Clearly, claiming that gun control leads to better outcomes is blatantly false. Look at the data, it is conclusive that gun laws most certainly do not have any positive impact on homicides or any other meaningful metric. If you have information that states otherwise then please post it. I have yet to see some solid statistical evidence that points to gun control as being a competent way of reducing deaths. I hope I have not wasted my time getting this information. Try reading it, it will enlighten you.

Last edited:
There is no place ON EARTH that lowered violent crimes and / or murders by instituting gun laws.
Simple fact. It always gets worse. In England - the country with the widest total ban on guns in the "western civilized world" has had a doubling of violent crimes.

Swizterland has the highest density population of gun per household in the "western civilized world" has so little gun crime that it isn't even recorded. Every household in Switzerland is required to have at least one gun and the owner is issued ammunition with which to practice monthly. Carrying of these "assault weapons" is strongly encouraged in public. Is is quite common to see a couple bicycling with there weapons slung across their backs, stopping in at a cafe for refreshment. They have the lowest crime rate in the world.
Guns do not bring safety but they do tend to make a society more polite.

I noticed that as soon as I posted some actual facts, all the left posters here calling for gun control vanished.

We could call this an anomaly but, so far, 3 separate threads have died the second I placed the facts for all to view with a fourth that has blatantly ignored the data.

The problem is that most of those folks are operating on "belief" or "faith" if you like. Logic and facts will never change their position because their faith counters it at every turn. The same reason that prohibition and the war on drugs didn't work (and actually made things worse) is the reason that prohibiting guns won't work. Criminals seize opportunities that are adventagous to them and don't care about breaking the law. Anti-gun laws and gun free zones just empower them.
I gave you a + for your post!
Thanks for the fight.
Paul

The problem is that most of those folks are operating on "belief" or "faith" if you like. Logic and facts will never change their position because their faith counters it at every turn. The same reason that prohibition and the war on drugs didn't work (and actually made things worse) is the reason that prohibiting guns won't work. Criminals seize opportunities that are adventagous to them and don't care about breaking the law. Anti-gun laws and gun free zones just empower them.
I gave you a + for your post!
Thanks for the fight.
Paul

No. Facts don't matter because they don't care about crime as an issue. they want the People to be disarmed so they can exert maximum control over them. These are merely totalitarian supporters because they think they will be part of the ruling elite.

They are scum for the most part. Some are genuinely concerned about gun violence and they will listen to reason, but the ones you point out are not they, those you are calling out are political operatives who wish a totalitarian government here in the US.

Anyone that thinks the 2nd Amendment is about protecting the right to hunt is an idiot.

To understand the founding fathers mindset they just got done defeating the most powerful military on the planet, with some critical help from the Germans and French. Most of the local "rulers" tax collectors ...their own neighbors...were loyal to the British.

They knew that if the revolutionists were unarmed the revolution would have never happened and we would still be speaking English.

Clearly the right to bear arms and have a small well regulated militia was to protect ourselves from ourselves and a government that strayed from the intent of the constitution.

There have always been wolves howling at our heels trying to force their beliefs and desire for power using any trick they can think of to gain their ends. Anyone that thinks it coudn't happen here is a fool. Anyone that believes that a "civilized" society cannot go horribly wrong hasn't been paying attention. What happened in Germany is not ancient history. All it takes is the right circumstances .. and we are capable of incredible hubris, greed and vengence usually misplaced.

All we need is an excuse.. an enemy real or imagined. We invaded two sovereign countries because of 9/11. Neither one of these countries was involved in the planning and execution of the terrorists. At best all we really could accuse Afghanistan of was not having control of their land. They STILL don't have control of much of their land even after over ten years of us being there spending our treasure and lives to "show em how it's done". The real enemy preceeding 9/11 was our own stupidity. WE trained those guys to fly. Student pilots with practically no time invested NOT WANTING TO LEARN HOW TO LAND??? WTF??? WE had some FBI living with a couple of them and agents with their hair on fire and no action taken. When I was a student pilot IN FLORIDA ..if I had told my instructor I didn't really want to know how to land ...loud alarms would have gone off immediately and I would have been asked to leave and be reffered to a mental institution...to be observed for potential suicide.

9/11 was a hundred times more our own fault than any country in the ME or Africa. That may be our worst enemy is our innability to take responsibility for our own failures.

That is why we need guns in citizens possession. Our government is capable of incredible stupidity and damn right treasonous behavior. Our Government learned NOTHING from Viet Nam. Our Government can get so worked up and make dangerous decisions so easily it seems that they would gleefully march us right off a cliff and think nothing of it. No matter how insane the results they would surely justify any bad action without batting an eye. It has happened dozens of times in our own lifetimes. ..

No...the REAL reason why we have weapons is that our own elected officials cannot be trusted. They are just men. They let greed and lust for power and just damned stupidity pave the way to horrible mistakes that they are immune from the consequenses of.

Before I lose faith in the second amendment I am willing to see a thousand madmen kill innocent Americans. Yes it is horrible. Losing our country to someone elected to govern us, equally as insane, would be worse.

Other than the fact that we still speak English, i can't really disagree.

Guess I&#8217;m getting old, but what has happened to America? Every couple of days, killing here killing there&#8230;Shoppers and most recently babies.

I see the primary cause as video games and TV violence promoted as entertainment. The role models of Hollywood cutthroat entertainment, is pervasive.

Guns are everywhere.

you mean liberals are everywhere- right?

In the Republican 1950's we were as Bush '41 said "a kinder gentler nation." We were happy to watch Ozzie and Harriot and "Leave It to Beaver." Now we live a "Grand Theft Auto" blood soaked liberal culture.

Liberal Marxist class warfare caused the change. Liberals made it black against white, men against women, rich against poor, gays against straights, freedom versus communism in Vietnam. Marxism/Obamaism seeks to undermine the basic principles of our culture as a necessary prelude to revolution.

The simple truths that we had lived by, the ones that made us the greatest nation in human history by far, gave way to liberal hated for America, and now we reap the rewards on many fronts.

Last edited:
Why are simple things impossible in this nation today.

"Other countries offer a road map. In Australia in 1996, a mass killing of 35 people galvanized the nation’s conservative prime minister to ban certain rapid-fire long guns. The “national firearms agreement,” as it was known, led to the buyback of 650,000 guns and to tighter rules for licensing and safe storage of those remaining in public hands.

The law did not end gun ownership in Australia. It reduced the number of firearms in private hands by one-fifth, and they were the kinds most likely to be used in mass shootings.

In the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings — but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect. The murder rate with firearms has dropped by more than 40 percent, according to data compiled by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and the suicide rate with firearms has dropped by more than half.

Or we can look north to Canada. It now requires a 28-day waiting period to buy a handgun, and it imposes a clever safeguard: gun buyers should have the support of two people vouching for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/opinion/sunday/kristof-do-we-have-the-courage-to-stop-this.html

"Other countries offer a road map. In Australia in 1996, a mass killing of 35 people galvanized the nation&#8217;s conservative prime minister to ban certain rapid-fire long guns. The &#8220;national firearms agreement,&#8221; as it was known, led to the buyback of 650,000 guns and to tighter rules for licensing and safe storage of those remaining in public hands.

The law did not end gun ownership in Australia. It reduced the number of firearms in private hands by one-fifth, and they were the kinds most likely to be used in mass shootings.

In the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings &#8212; but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect. The murder rate with firearms has dropped by more than 40 percent, according to data compiled by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and the suicide rate with firearms has dropped by more than half.

Or we can look north to Canada. It now requires a 28-day waiting period to buy a handgun, and it imposes a clever safeguard: gun buyers should have the support of two people vouching for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/opinion/sunday/kristof-do-we-have-the-courage-to-stop-this.html

We are the world's policeman, we are the guarantors of freedom from liberal government so our citizens must be armed to the teeth.

Only a liberal could be so slow as to conduct the debate in pefect ignorance of why we have a Second Amendment.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited:
Guess I’m getting old, but what has happened to America? Every couple of days, killing here killing there…Shoppers and most recently babies.

Guns are everywhere.

In the Republican 1950's we were as Bush '41 said "a kinder gentler nation." We were happy to watch Ozzie and Harriot and "Leave It to Beaver." Now we live a "Grand Theft Auto" blood soaked liberal culture.

Liberal Marxist class warfare caused the change. Liberals made it black against white, men against women, rich against poor, gays against straights, freedom versus communism in Vietnam. Marxism/Obamaism seeks to undermine the basic principles of our culture as a necessary prelude to revolution.

The simple truths that we had lived by, the ones that made us the greatest nation in human history by far, gave way to liberal hated for America, and now we reap the rewards on many fronts.

As I remember history there were many killings in Medieval Europe, and other parts of the world long before Marx and Locke. A world that reveled in killing those of a different religion, or no religion. And in America for a time it was the white man versus the red man. And what of our Civil War? Although, come to think of it Marx did congratulate Lincoln on his reelection.

Guess I’m getting old, but what has happened to America? Every couple of days, killing here killing there…Shoppers and most recently babies.

Guns are everywhere.

As I remember history there were many killings in Medieval Europe, and other parts of the world long before Marx and Locke. A world that reveled in killing those of a different religion, or no religion. And in America for a time it was the white man versus the red man. And what of our Civil War? Although, come to think of it Marx did congratulate Lincoln on his reelection.

do you have any idea what the subject is??

"Other countries offer a road map. In Australia in 1996, a mass killing of 35 people galvanized the nation&#8217;s conservative prime minister to ban certain rapid-fire long guns. The &#8220;national firearms agreement,&#8221; as it was known, led to the buyback of 650,000 guns and to tighter rules for licensing and safe storage of those remaining in public hands.

In the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings &#8212; but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect. The murder rate with firearms has dropped by more than 40 percent, according to data compiled by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and the suicide rate with firearms has dropped by more than half.

Really? You point to a Op-Ed and use faulty information by conforming your statistics around 'gun' crime. Crimes committed with guns is meaningless as I highly doubt that the people being murdered care if they are stabbed, run over, beat with a hammer (actually this would be worse) than being shot.

Australia
http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/0/B/6/{0B619F44-B18B-47B4-9B59-F87BA643CBAA}facts11.pdf
Table is located on page 2
Canada:
http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a2...&stByVal=1&p1=1&p2=37&tabMode=dataTable&csid=
(edit: I can't post the table used as it returns an error. Just go to the add/remove data to expand the years displayed)

And better illustrated is Aus using rate instead number of victims of crimes but the years are not as current:
fig012.png

Year------Aus(total)--------Can(rate)
96-------------354-------------2.14
97-------------364-------------1.96
98-------------334-------------1.85
99-------------385-------------1.77
00-------------362-------------1.78
01-------------347-------------1.78
02-------------366-------------1.86
03-------------341-------------1.74
04-------------302-------------1.95
05-------------301-------------2.06
06-------------321-------------1.86
07-------------283-------------1.80
08-------------293-------------1.83
09-------------293-------------1.81
10-------------360-------------1.62
(Why will this site not recognize spaces or tabs for tables?)

What we see is that the Canadian rate is rather flat throughout the entire time other than some spikes in random years. Nothing there looks like gun control had any real impact on actual homicide reductions. In Australia, we see a clear drop in Homicides. Congratulations is actually finding a place that had a homicide drop. Unfortunately, that took SEVEN years to occur, all the while homicide rates remained relatively flat. Essentially, connecting the gun control laws with this metric is tenuous at best and rather intellectually dishonest. I am not surprised though as you bring an OP-ED piece so that others can do your thinking for you instead of actually looking at any real data.

Of worthy note is that assaults and sexual assaults seen some rather large increases during that same time period. Robbery spiked 31 percent the very next year and assault 8 percent though both have been brought back under control. Sexual assault was not phased at all though and that uptick looks more like a general trend than anything that has to do with any laws. Essentially, the increased gun laws look to have done nothing in actual results. I don't know what has caused the more recent down trend in homicide rates but it is asinine to ascribe a law passed seven years before with no results to speak of to suddenly be the determining factor.

Last edited:
It reduced the number of firearms in private hands by one-fifth, and they were the kinds most likely to be used in mass shootings.

1) here though we need powerful guns to protect ourselves from powerful liberal government

2) its doubtful that a mass murderer would be deterred by having to use a couple of automatic or semi automatic handguns. Either way its shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:
It reduced the number of firearms in private hands by one-fifth, and they were the kinds most likely to be used in mass shootings.

1) here though we need powerful guns to protect ourselves from powerful liberal government. What did you think the Constitution was for??

2) its doubtful that a mass murderer would be deterred by having to use a couple of automatic or semi automatic handguns. Either way its shooting fish in a barrel.[/QUOTE]

Forum List

Back