Almost Screwed Up

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
About a week ago I found a great deal at Bear Creek Arsenal for a complete upper and complete lower AR in 7.62x39 so I ordered them. Have been looking forward to putting them together and burning some rounds at the range. A few days ago something about the upper began to nag at the back of my mind so checked the order then researched ATF regs......... I had ordered a 10.5" upper with a standard lower rifle stock......... If I was to put the two together without first applying for a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle), paying the $200 tax stamp I would have been building an illegal firearm.
Needless to say the 10.5" upper is being returned and I've ordered a 16" upper.

The 16" upper came in this morning, 7.62x39. The barrel is a little heavy so I ordered a CVLIFE adjustable bi-pod, excellent rating for $19 and a slip on buttpad. The mags are 20 round Dura Mags also one of the best rated for ARs in 7.62x39. The scope is a Pinty 2.5-10x40 Red Green Illuminated Mil-dot Tactical Rifle Scope with Red Laser Combo - Green Lens Color.

BCA Rifle.jpg

Well, you could have kept it. Then buy a stripped lower and a smooth, foam covered buffer tube. And if the current attack on braces fails, later add a SB3 or 4 to it.
If they win the brace attack, you could just join the other 5 million, newly minted felons. This business about SBRs is soooooo dated. Now that handguns have 17, 18, 19 round capacities, the whole purpose of the original SBR rule is moot. There is not much difference between a full size service pistol (4.5 to 5 inch barrel) with an 17 round magazine and a 8.5 inch SBR with the same magazine. It's not 1934 anymore.

And, nice rifle by the way. Did you already have ammo on hand?

Cheers

About a week ago I found a great deal at Bear Creek Arsenal for a complete upper and complete lower AR in 7.62x39 so I ordered them. Have been looking forward to putting them together and burning some rounds at the range. A few days ago something about the upper began to nag at the back of my mind so checked the order then researched ATF regs......... I had ordered a 10.5" upper with a standard lower rifle stock......... If I was to put the two together without first applying for a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle), paying the $200 tax stamp I would have been building an illegal firearm.
Needless to say the 10.5" upper is being returned and I've ordered a 16" upper.

Hold up! ARs in 7.62x39 is a thing? How did I not know this? I have about 3,000 rounds of 7.62x39 and only one lame old SKS to shoot it. I need to make a purchase...

Well, you could have kept it. Then buy a stripped lower and a smooth, foam covered buffer tube. And if the current attack on braces fails, later add a SB3 or 4 to it.
If they win the brace attack, you could just join the other 5 million, newly minted felons. This business about SBRs is soooooo dated. Now that handguns have 17, 18, 19 round capacities, the whole purpose of the original SBR rule is moot. There is not much difference between a full size service pistol (4.5 to 5 inch barrel) with an 17 round magazine and a 8.5 inch SBR with the same magazine. It's not 1934 anymore.

And, nice rifle by the way. Did you already have ammo on hand?

Cheers
Yeah, have around 1000 rounds. As for an AR pistol, never wanted one.

Hold up! ARs in 7.62x39 is a thing? How did I not know this? I have about 3,000 rounds of 7.62x39 and only one lame old SKS to shoot it. I need to make a purchase...
Bear Creek Arsenal has a good rep and they're inexpensive. That said I think they're working overtime to meet demand, just had to send my upper back for warranty work. Emailed them what was happening and sent pictures, the next thing I know they're emailing me the pre-paid shipping label. They pay for the shipping.
They have the uppers with rear or side chargers.

Forum List

Back