AI strikes again: Massive breakthrough: 155 mm howitzer artillery destroys incoming cruise missile

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I had always assumed such a response would be possible (though I didn't consider the source being HVP per se) with A.I, as I've seen great advances in practice and in White Papers of images/video classificiation and Convolutional Neural Networks, including biometric reading and the like. This area interests me greatly,, though it's such a small segment of A.I. I've seen some of the coding for these advanced products that are very accurate in allowing in employees of secure locations for companies, as an example and I've taken some courses that go into CNN architectures in some detail.

Clearly this is top shelf stuff and it has taken years to perfect the algorithm. My guess is that such technology will eventually make all long range projectiles near useless (or forced drastically reformat how they are delivered). Anyone remember Star Wars (SDI) which America once wanted to put in space to shoot down any Russian nuke almost 40 years ago? We are getting that much closer. In another lifetime, I would be helping my nation with such technology, I think reinforcement learning will be employed far more than it is now to drastically increase production ready timelines.

The key to A.I is to stay ahead and protect your code for as long as possible. Let's hope America wins this, and the rest of the West give their heads a shake and stop hugging the communists.

Massive breakthrough: 155 mm howitzer artillery destroys incoming cruise missile

An M109 Paladin 155 mm howitzer made history recently by shooting down a fast-moving maneuvering cruise missile with a “hypervelocity projectile” able to travel at speeds up to Mach 5, according to an Air Force announcement. Historically, armored vehicles such as tanks, howitzers or infantry carriers have not operated with an ability to destroy fast-moving, long-range cruise missiles, yet the successful demonstration breaks new ground.

.........................................................................................................................

The success of the shoot-down, Roper added, relied upon the integration of artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled data analytics increasingly able to gather, organize and analyze data with great reliability in a near-instantaneous fashion. So not only will air-sea-and land targeting sensors have an ability to exchange information across otherwise disparate information systems, but AI-enabled algorithms can gather the data, perform near real-time analytics and efficiently distribute organized information where needed.

Longer-range sensors also further enable this technical possibility, allowing for bombers in the air, surface ships, fighter jets, drones and land-based command and control to operate across previously inaccessible vast distances.

AI-empowered algorithms can gather information and bounce new data off of a nearly limitless database to establish comparisons, identify items of relevance, perform analyses, solve problems and efficiently organize problem-solving “data.” The success of this relies upon a number of variables, including increased reliability of algorithms programmed to identify patterns, recognize essential indicators and provide the necessary context.

The shoot-down, which took place at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico, destroyed a “surrogate” Russian cruise missile target using the Air Force’s Advanced Battle Management System (ABMS).

An earlier post on this made me wonder what exactly was a "mach-5 shell"?

It wasn't the shell...it was that an AI calculated the cruise missiles flight path...then aimed & fired the howitzer.

Got it.

An earlier post on this made me wonder what exactly was a "mach-5 shell"?

It wasn't the shell...it was that an AI calculated the cruise missiles flight path...then aimed & fired the howitzer.

Got it.

I read someone on the Fox site suggest A.I is an overused term and this was just a "really cool program". Although, yes, the term A.I is often overblown or misrepresented, I don't think some appreciate the effort and repeated, slow process of working through and perfecting computer algorithms. This type of outcome requires far more than just a few while loops and fancy Functions.

Forum List

Back