A San Jose Man Allegedly Shot An Unarmed Black Airbnb Guest Who Was Walking To The Grocery Store

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
ACalifornia man is facing felony charges for allegedly shooting a 21-year-old unarmed Black man who was walking to the grocery store from an Airbnb rental in what officials are describing as an "unprovoked attack."

The victim was crossing the street in the 1200 block of Somerset Drive around 11:08 p.m. on Oct. 2 when he saw the suspect, later identified as 66-year-old Mark Waters, exit a home and "quickly approach him" while holding a handgun, according to San Jose police and the Santa Clara County district attorney's office. The victim tried to run away, but as his back was turned, Waters fired his weapon, striking the young man in the leg, prosecutors said.

“Everyone should be safe walking to the store,” District Attorney Jeff Rosen said in a statement announcing the charges Friday. “We will not tolerate such senseless and violent acts in this County. We wish the victim a speedy recovery and will make sure he receives justice for this brutal assault.”
Authorities are also investigating potential hate crime allegations, but officials declined to provide additional information or a possible motive for the shooting, saying the case is still under investigation.

Waters's attorney, Jose Badillo, said in an email on Friday that he had no immediate comment on the case.
In a statement provided to BuzzFeed News, a spokesperson for Airbnb condemned the attack.
"We thank the San Jose Police Department as well as the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office for their work to hold the perpetrator accountable," the spokesperson said, "and to send a message that hate crimes have no place in our society."

Not really surprised.

Walking While Black.

ACalifornia man is facing felony charges for allegedly shooting a 21-year-old unarmed Black man who was walking to the grocery store from an Airbnb rental in what officials are describing as an "unprovoked attack."

The victim was crossing the street in the 1200 block of Somerset Drive around 11:08 p.m. on Oct. 2 when he saw the suspect, later identified as 66-year-old Mark Waters, exit a home and "quickly approach him" while holding a handgun, according to San Jose police and the Santa Clara County district attorney's office. The victim tried to run away, but as his back was turned, Waters fired his weapon, striking the young man in the leg, prosecutors said.

“Everyone should be safe walking to the store,” District Attorney Jeff Rosen said in a statement announcing the charges Friday. “We will not tolerate such senseless and violent acts in this County. We wish the victim a speedy recovery and will make sure he receives justice for this brutal assault.”
Authorities are also investigating potential hate crime allegations, but officials declined to provide additional information or a possible motive for the shooting, saying the case is still under investigation.

Waters's attorney, Jose Badillo, said in an email on Friday that he had no immediate comment on the case.
In a statement provided to BuzzFeed News, a spokesperson for Airbnb condemned the attack.
"We thank the San Jose Police Department as well as the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office for their work to hold the perpetrator accountable," the spokesperson said, "and to send a message that hate crimes have no place in our society."

Not really surprised.

Walking While Black.

Surprises me. I am an older white guy, older than the shooter, for that matter. I lease airbnb homes a couple of times a year. For me, it is going to be in a predominantly white, undoubtedly resort property on a beach, ski slope or other mountain setting. Usually no shopping close enough to walk to, and of course if out of state, usually carrying, myself. If situation were reversed, there had better not be a young black man approaching me with a gun out, or the outcome would be reversed. I would never rent an airbnb for just an overnight, would hotel, instead. I would not pick a black neighborhood for an extended stay, and if out of state, unarmed, it is because I had to fly and transporting a personal weapon through airports is a hassle.

The old man is an idiot and if the story doesn't change deserves to be in jail for an extended stay. The young man needs to exercise greater care in picking locations of airbnb rentals, and that state is almost a gun free open target, free-fire zone for outsiders and state citizens alike, as I get the impression, mostly criminals carrying gun, due to the state's anti-2A political stance. I will most likely live out my life without visiting.

Not really surprised.

Walking While Black.

A guy walked up and shot a stranger for no reason? Then he is just a crazy guy. No story here.

...unless youre leaving out facts.

Last edited:

Not really surprised.

Walking While Black.

Why does this keep happening in places run by people like you? When will you start demanding better? Or do you like it?

Forum List

Back