Zone1 A Latina attending an HBCU was crowned queen of her college. The online backlash was swift

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
Wow really nasty that some racist people (you know) dragged this young lady.

When Keylin Perez became the first Latina to be crowned Miss Coppin State University in Baltimore, she was thrilled. She had been named the university’s Miss Sophomore and Miss Junior previously and was eager to continue representing the school with pride as the 91st Miss Coppin State University queen.

But after a TikTok video she posted went viral, she received backlash, including harassment, from online critics who said the role should be given to a Black woman, since Coppin State University is a historically Black university, known as an HBCU.

“I never considered stepping down,” Perez told NBC News. She applied for the high-profile role knowing she might face some backlash, but ran unopposed and was officially crowned in October. “I stayed firm in my decision of continuing to serve my institution that has poured so much into me the past four years,” she said.

The original TikTok video featured Perez and Mister Coppin State and their Royal Court counterparts at Morgan State University, another HBCU in Baltimore, recreating a scene from the Zoolander movie, which was a trending meme at the time on the platform. The group recorded the lighthearted video while at Mister HBCU Kings’ Leadership Conference and Competition, Inc., held in St. Louis.

Miss and Mister Coppin, Keylin Perez and Tre'Quan Hayes. (Coppin State University)

Anyone can and they need the money just like any other college or U. One of them specializes in having a top flight rowing team and they recruit whites for that sport.
Then what's the point of it being a black institution?

Then what's the point of it being a black institution?
That being the case is not as relevevant now as it was before the early 1960s. Before that, there was a valid point.

What's the school here? I think it's "A&M".

Yep! Sho nuff! :eusa_dance:
knowledge.gif

They were always considered a really good school, too. Kids of all races went there if they wanted to learn Ag.

It was, and maybe still is THE school for Ag.

Last edited:
That being the case is not as relevevant now as it was before the early 1960s. Before that, there was a valid point.

What's the school here? I think it's "A&M".

Yep! Sho nuff! :eusa_dance:
knowledge.gif

They were always considered a really good school, too. Kids of all races went there if they wanted to learn Ag.

It was, and maybe still is THE school for Ag.

Which is why they are called "Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and not "Black only Colleges and Univerities"

They are a leftover relic from the bad days of Jim Crow, some going back to the late 1800's.

Forum List

Back