Zamperini on 60 Minutes

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Zamperini and spending half a day with him a few years before he died. In incredible man.

He and his tormentor "The Bird" were recorded long ago on this 60 Minutes episode:

Mutsuhiro The Bird Watanabe 60 Minutes Interview Mediaite

I knew the Zamperini family. The small airport in Torrance is Zamperini Field, named after the city's most famous son. They are all good people. Not rich, just ordinary middle class people who have a lot of class. They don't make them like that anymore. Louis Zamperini was at 90 still a powerhouse of a man.

Don't go see the movie...bad storytelling. Greta had a special on him the other night...that was a good piece. Jolie destroyed the essence of his story in that long winded film. They shouldn't allow anti-American, anti-Christian zealots direct movies that should stir patriotism and one's faith.

Read "First into Nagasaki" from the archives of A.P correspondent George Weller for an account of those brave men of the US Military who didn't make it and died in Japanese Prison camps and on death ships .The Philippines was considered to be the prime target for Japan's initial attack on US forces when the war started but the Philippine Army of over 10,000 American and Filipino Troops was abandoned and forced to surrender when they ran out of food and ammunition barely three months into the war. The worst defeat (up to that time) in U.S. Military history was kept secret from the American public and the incredible propaganda network of the FDR administration managed to turn the general responsible for the defeat into a hero for his "courage" during his escape.

• Banned
I had the honor of meeting Mr. Zamperini and spending half a day with him a few years before he died. In incredible man.

He and his tormentor "The Bird" were recorded long ago on this 60 Minutes episode:

Mutsuhiro The Bird Watanabe 60 Minutes Interview Mediaite

I knew the Zamperini family. The small airport in Torrance is Zamperini Field, named after the city's most famous son. They are all good people. Not rich, just ordinary middle class people who have a lot of class. They don't make them like that anymore. Louis Zamperini was at 90 still a powerhouse of a man.

I met him at Torrance's Zamperini Field. You ain't joking about his energy. He had 40 years on me and I had to run to keep up with him. Super guy. He was nice enough to autograph his book for me. A cherished memory.

Forum List

Back